• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

How long do you think that picture will last without some wit adding a mustache and a goatee to it?

Paging Guy Fawkes.

01-trudeau-goatee.w710.h473.jpg

Geez JMT, you're an expert on everything....thanks for your insight that practically expands from what FTSO and Jolly have contributed.

FSTO said:
I hope those bar chairs are bolted to the deck!

As for the PM's picture, I do believe that it should not be there.

In our unit this is the order.

Queen
GG
CDS - CWO of the CAF
MND
CRCN
followed by all the subordinates of MARPAC and NAVRES

The prime minister is not to be seen.

I assume you mean that the MND is before the CDS...

The last time I had the "pleasure" of being at Stadacona's Wardroom the PM was there and had been for a while.  I remember mentioning it to someone quite a while ago and got a blank stare indicating they didn't understand...

NavyShooter said:
Geez JMT, you're an expert on everything....thanks for your insight that practically expands from what FTSO and Jolly have contributed.

Oh good - we're back to this again. 

I'll assume you all saw the other tweet, of the Resolves hangers? https://twitter.com/chantierdavie/status/852160217924108288/photo/1

C9N7BbCWsAAO_YS.jpg

MarkOttawa said:
Truly major-league up-sucking to PM Trudeau by Davie--a tweet:
https://twitter.com/chantierdavie/status/852159771440533506

Up-chuck to the max.

Mark
Ottawa
Mark ,
Are  you sure it's not a dartboard ?

Davie is reporting on their FB page that the accommodation block has arrived, as have the 2 cranes, so looks for some major progress shortly.

I find that's its interesting that the military contingent for IAOR will be larger than I thought with around 60 for normal missions and can be upwards of 114 fully manned, with 10 personnel in shore positions. 36 civilians with 2 crews at 30 days on , 30 days off. The max crew size is 150 and if they need to bring more on say for a evacuation can ask for a waiver and have to embark additional life saving equipment. The initial contract will be for 5 years, with one year extensions after that, providing at a min 130 sea days a year.

Chief Stoker said:
I find that's its interesting that the military contingent for IAOR will be larger than I thought with around 60 for normal missions and can be upwards of 114 fully manned, with 10 personnel in shore positions. 36 civilians with 2 crews at 30 days on , 30 days off. The max crew size is 150 and if they need to bring more on say for a evacuation can ask for a waiver and have to embark additional life saving equipment. The initial contract will be for 5 years, with one year extensions after that, providing at a min 130 sea days a year.

Chief, can you clarify those numbers for me?

Are you saying 36 civilians split between two shifts (18 on, 18 off) or 72 civilians (36 on, 36 off)?  I think you are saying 36 on and 36 off.

So minimal crewing could be

36 civvy and 60 CAF (RCN and other trades), for a total of 96

Nominal crewing would add 54 CAF trades to achieve a crew of

36 civvy and 114 CAF for 150

Overload possible with preparation?

Chris Pook said:
Chief, can you clarify those numbers for me?

Are you saying 36 civilians split between two shifts (18 on, 18 off) or 72 civilians (36 on, 36 off)?  I think you are saying 36 on and 36 off.

So minimal crewing could be

36 civvy and 60 CAF (RCN and other trades), for a total of 96

Nominal crewing would add 54 CAF trades to achieve a crew of

36 civvy and 114 CAF for 150

Overload possible with preparation?

2 crews of 36 pers. 30 days on, 30 days off. 114 posted to IAOR, 10 of which in some sort of shore office. The rest posted to the ship and that would vary with the type of mission they're on. They probably will include trainees as well. I will imagine as time goes on this number will vary. The max of 150 is a Loyd's regulation. I believe they can embark over 300 additional pers for a short time and must get a waiver, the galley can feed up to 500 pers a day. It appears the ship will be out sooner as well.

Since I can't find a link to this on a website, check out the attached picture.

Attachments

• Reslove vs JSS.jpg
    Reslove vs JSS.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 320
Lumber said:

The IAOR is very capable however won't be allowed into threat zone with the civilian crew.

Thanks to the pair of you.

Now that there has been a chance to consider both ships side by side is there an opinion on the Parliamentary Budget Officer's estimate of 2 BCAD per ship?

I am not sure that I want to blame the PBO because of their lack of expertise in the matter, which led them to seek out experts, which led them to seek out US experts familiar with operating in a US procurement environment.

I am wondering if this will have a knock on effect at SeaSpan in terms of their pricing and the number of vessels that might be procured.

In terms of the ship manoeuvering under threat: 

Is there any difference in the ship in that regard or is it strictly a crew contract issue?;

What would be the effect if the crew were all RCNR? 

Chris Pook said:
Thanks to the pair of you.

Now that there has been a chance to consider both ships side by side is there an opinion on the Parliamentary Budget Officer's estimate of 2 BCAD per ship?

I am not sure that I want to blame the PBO because of their lack of expertise in the matter, which led them to seek out experts, which led them to seek out US experts familiar with operating in a US procurement environment.

I am wondering if this will have a knock on effect at SeaSpan in terms of their pricing and the number of vessels that might be procured.

In terms of the ship manoeuvering under threat: 

Is there any difference in the ship in that regard or is it strictly a crew contract issue?;

What would be the effect if the crew were all RCNR?

I doubt it, both ships are vastly different animals with the construction significantly different.I do agree the price is out to lunch though. I do believe its exactly a crew contract issue and the fact the RCN doesn't own the ship.

I'm pretty sure I recall that a third Queenston was supposed to be considerably cheaper, whether that remains true or possible or available I don't know. Hard to get economies of scale or any production efficiency out of such small production.

Lumber said:

It's interesting that they note it still has it's dynamic positioning system...

Follow-track mode will make RAS much easier/safer if they use it.

Back