• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ANZAC Day

Jammer

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
The sunrise ceremony is in K-Town in about an hour at Fort Frontenac.
Aussie coffee all 'round.

We will remember

ANZAC Day on Bribie Island, here in Queensland.

Dawn Service at Woorim Beach (on the Coral Sea) 0458, followed by a 'gunfire' breakfast.

Local march at 0900 at the B.I.R.S.L.

Normally I am in like dirty laundry, but this year, I sat it out. Slept in til 0700, and had a quiet day around home (had a swim and watched some TV, was on here for a taad too), with my thoughts of the old days back in Canada, my time here in Australia, and the 207 days I spent in Iraq.

Next year, if I am not deployed again, I am sure I'll have more motivation, but I had chose to remember privately this year. As I write this RSLs throughout this land will have the beer still flowing.

To all of the Sons of ANZAC out there, good on ya's all, and especially the Lads of SECDET XI and OBG(W)2, (5 contacts, loosing one ASLAV -- several wounded but no KIAs-- in the past few days) hang in there, and stay focused!

Coldies,

Wes

I gave my thoughts and prayers over here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/60134.0.html but I'll give them again. 

I have a particular fondness for Aussies and New Zealanders as they liberated my grandfather's POW camp and helped him recover in Canberra for a year afterwards.  My grandfather said there was a New Zealander Nursing Sister that was his angel. He said she was tough as a school marm,  stronger in will than any Bootie RSM, sang to the boys with a voice that would make Vera Lynn weep and kinder than a mother to her child.  My grandfather felt that he could never repay what he owed to this Nursing Sister for giving him back his life.  He never forgot her and especially on ANZAC Day.  He's gone now, so I will remember her. 

Spent mine in Jervis Bay.

Dawn service at HMAS Creswell. Then a march through Husskison with ship's company, my fellow RANC trainees, and all the local vets. That was followed by a community service attended by pretty much the entire town. And finally drinks at the RSL and the pub all afternoon speaking to old diggers, and guys who have recently been to places like Iraq about thier time there.

It was my first Anzac day in the Navy, and one I will remember for the rest of my life. The only downer was my beloved Essendon lost the big footy match, but today really reminded me just how meaningless such things are.

Lest We Forget

:salute:

From all of us over here
to all of you over there....

CHIMO!

I'm still a bit hung over. Did a cenataque party up in the country then back the RSL to talk to the blokes till the late/early hours. Really inspiring, not only was the beer free for the 5 of us who did cenataque but the stories and the feeling of the vets towards us was amazing. Had a really brilliant day. Its the best day of the year for me personally, i love it and the emotion behind it. Talking to the blokes your struck with how honest they are and how modest they are. I was talking to a bloke who was in North Africa then New Guinea and said he "didnt do much". Someone else told me later he'd driven tanks against the Germans then the Japanese and where he hadnt been wasnt worth going.
All the old diggers are a credit to us and we should be proud of them. Put them on the pedestal they deserve.
I had a Vietnam vet who swore blind he'd never allow what happened to him and his mates happen to anyone else if he could stop it.
Just bloody inspiring and a great day.
Now i'm off to drink more water

Back