• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone have nay ideas on Pilot slots for 08/09?

jzaidi1

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi All,

Damnit!  Still can't get the dream of flying for the CAF out of my head.  My last thread says it all: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/65902.0.html

With regard to my eyesight (I wear glasses) I understand that Laser Refractive Surgery is now acceptable (certain types).  This puts me about 60% to where I need to be in order to be a viable candidate for Pilot.  Earning a degree is another item being worked upon.  I am getting myself back into shape too.  I'm ex-comm reserves (4 yrs) and ex air cadet (6 yrs) so indoctrinating myself into military culture should be a breeze.

The challenge is that I am 33 yrs old.  Based on my age and assuming I was actually accepted I'd be about 35 yrs old.  Would anyone have any idea if this is too old to fly CF-18s assuming a 5 training yr road to get to jets is more the norm.  I know a fellow on here is 40 and just started his Pilot training but looks like he'll go multi or helo.

CFRC tells me that CEOTP is only open to former CF pilots and skilled civvie pilots.  Does anyone have any idea on how many slots are alotted this year for Pilot?  Are there any CFRC folks here that could speak with me offline about other issues?

Help appreciated...

Thanks,
CPL Jay

jzaidi1 said:
Does anyone have any idea on how many slots are alotted this year for Pilot?

Civi
----
ROTP = 51
CEOTP Semi-Skilled = 5
DEO Unskilled = 16

Geez,

This is a huge uphill battle for me then.  Is it even worth trying at this point?  I know if I don't then the "what if" game will be playing in my head for the rest of my life.  I've never been a quitter (exept after Year 1 of University in 1994).

Does anyone have any stats on the average age of a CF-18 pilot AND do they know of any exceptional circumstances that one can become a fighter pilot over the age of say....38?

CPL Jay

After watching the series for CF-18 training on discovery a bit back, I think the oldest was 34, and he said it was his last year, because of the stress on body. So, in my opinion, I don't think it’s a possibility. Other airframes...of course you can!! GO for it!

Hey Thanks Volition,

I know exactly who you are talking about.  Facebook is pretty amazing - it gets you connected with all sorts of folks including the person you mentioned.  Anyway the fellow you are referring to on Jetstream did not leave because of Stress on the body.  He got an offer from a private company working under contract for the Saudi Arabian airforce flying the BAe Hawk (basically he was a gun for hire).  He missed the Hornets so much that he left the opportunity after 6 months and is now somewhere near Cold Lake trying to get back into the Hornet seat - he figures it'll take about 6 months or more to rejoin and get the paperwork squared away.

Other airframes don't interest me as much as the CF-18.  I'm not in it for the money but the only way I'd even join the forces if somehow I "earned" a spot as a Pilot.  I spoke with my wife - she is for it although the money I make now is comperable to a Colonel with 5 yrs exp with Spec pay.  As you can see I'd sacrifice my current Bay street career and financial gluttony for the chance to be one of the chosen few.  I'd have to sell the house, get rid of the sports car to make it happen.  Any CF pilots want to trade places with me?

CPL Jay

Don't tell yourself that you're too old or that there is too much stress for your body.

Tell that to Peter Besenyei.

51 years old, still one of the worlds greatest aerobatic pilots and probably the best ever after close to 30 years of hard flying.

Not to rebut the 'expert' opinion previously posted, but a buddy of mine was in the same boat and I found out that over the past few fighter courses there had been several 30+ candidates. Jetstream just wanted to make things all hardcore and sexy, a little-lot over the top at times.

Astrodog said:
Not to rebut the 'expert' opinion previously posted, but a buddy of mine was in the same boat and I found out that over the past few fighter courses there had been several 30+ candidates. Jetstream just wanted to make things all hardcore and sexy, a little-lot over the top at times.

I totally agree.  Do not count yourself out and follow your dreams.  You can do anything that you work 100% towards, if the experts tell  you that it was not ment to be, more than likely it was not.

Gary
AKA: Currently on ASC... :)

Light it up 2fly! Remember, crosscheck unil you can crosscheck no more, then crosscheck again.  :-X Let us know how it goes.

Thanks folks,

I'll be heading to CFRC Mississauga tomorrow right after lunch.  It's an easy jaunt from our Mississauga office.  So has anyone here wear glasses besides me?  Just want to know how many folks are taking advantage of the CANFORGEN which now allows for laser surgery for Pilots?

I'll post my results from tomorrow's meeting.

CPL Jay

I am also a bit worried about the age aspect.  I am 29 years old.  I'm an Engineering and Physics major.  I work as a Physics teacher now.  Many people still think I'm 22 or 23 years old - I age well.

The funny thing is, I applied for pilot several years ago out of curiosity (and not knowing about this forum) when I was unemployed a bit desperate for getting a job (no offense intended).

Then I finally got a job in engineering and stuck now in a new contract.  CF called me over a year later (yes they amazingly do keep things on file!!) whilst I was in my new job.  They offered me to proceed with the rest of the pilot application process where I politely had to decline because of my current contract. 

Now I regret the whole damn thing so much and wish I had proceeded with the application.  I was about 25/26 at the time and became a little over-confident that since they called me that perhaps they were *always* in need of pilots.  A bad assumption.

Now I realize that call may have been the one life-time opportunity!  And possibly given their CF's desperate circumstances then I may have had a realistic chance at going fast-jet if I did not face a fierce competition (although some may probably consider me as being the fierce competition).

I plan to re-apply again but I hope that this time they let me know sooner than later what the status is (instead of a year later when life moves on.. I mean really we all need to put food on our table) 

Last thing I would need is to be in the middle of my job/work to get a call for Pilot and not be able to leave my work.

Back