• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone else feel like the spotlights on them?

mapledonutmouth

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So ever since I've told many of friends and my family that I decided to pursue a career in the military, I feel like it's my turn under the spotlight. Well, from a family perspective it would've been anyways, since I graduated high school last year and now it's time to continue on with life. The only thing I hate about it is that some of my friends and people I went to high school with think that I am already in the Army. It's always a bit awkward to explain to them at parties and what not that the application process is incredibly long and I'm no where close to getting in. Also, I don't want people to see me as a wuss or someone who couldn't make it, which is weird because some of them would never choose this lifestyle regardless of how much money you would throw at 'em. I think too much. Anyone else feel similar?

If you dont mind me asking. What part of the application are you at? And why make it awkward? Not sure exactly how old you are. However that being said all you have to do is tell them you are not in yet. Dont have to go into any detail.

PandemicStrange said:
If you dont mind me asking. What part of the application are you at? And why make it awkward? Not sure exactly how old you are. However that being said all you have to do is tell them you are not in yet. Dont have to go into any detail.

Well, I graduated high school about a year ago. I took my aptitude test in late October, but due to my substance use, my app. was closed until December. It appears that the e-mail I sent to re-open my application then hadn't done anything, and yesterday I talked to a file manager and he said it's been sent to Selection. It's just that my parents are really on my ass because they don't want me to sitting home all day. Obviously, I don't want to either, but even finding a part time job until then is challenging.

Jordan Mammoliti said:
Well, I graduated high school about a year ago. I took my aptitude test in late October, but due to my substance use, my app. was closed until December. It appears that the e-mail I sent to re-open my application then hadn't done anything, and yesterday I talked to a file manager and he said it's been sent to Selection. It's just that my parents are really on my *** because they don't want me to sitting home all day. Obviously, I don't want to either, but even finding a part time job until then is challenging.

So you still have your medical and interview left no? I always thought when your file is closed you basically have to re apply. CFAT and personality test they wouldnt make you do again. But still its going to be a while and I highly suggest you dont put all your apples in one basket. Id get out there and find a job. Just dont explain that Army is happening anytime soon because they will be reluctant to hire you. Just my two cents. Im currently re enlisting for my second time. I was in thr Infantry before. And finished my medical last month. Take my advice how you want. Just trying to help you out.

Obviously it was important for you to tell your family and close friends that you are applying for a career in the Forces so there was no way around that. However if you find it's awkward to explain to them that you're still waiting on the offer due to the lengthy and somewhat arduous process, perhaps when you are finally in the Forces you should refrain from telling people about upcoming courses or opportunities until they are confirmed or actually completed.

Talking about opportunities before they are confirmed may bring a lot of stress because you put the pressure - or spotlight - on yourself. "What if I don't get on the course? What if I don't complete the course? What if I change my mind? I'll have so much explaining to do." Waiting until you've completed said course will allow you to speak more confidently about your career and experiences because you've eliminated all that uncertainty. You'll also actually have more things to say and stories to tell besides speculation.

Best of luck with the rest of the process- and no one will see you as a wuss or that you "couldn't make it" should you not succeed at any stage with the military now or in the future. :)

Nope. Aside from members of my family and close friends, I've never told everyone using a megaphone that I'm applying for the service. Although I've told my former co-workers, teachers, non-profit execs that I've worked with in the past to ask them as my references. But I've never told people that see or talk to me regularly like current co-workers, people at my gym, and in my social media friends. That way I can focus more on my full-time job, French lessons on Duolingo, and gym and not keep on waiting for "the call".

As having a friend already in the service, I know the application process will be like and to tell everyone about it will lead to listening to their enquiry every other month: "What happened to your army application?"

I get what you're feeling. I started my application four months ago, and I'm quite near the end, but all my family members and everyone who hears about it at work all think it's so slow. But my application has been really fast compared to many of the timelines posted here, even with the couple troubles I've had.

PandemicStrange said:
So you still have your medical and interview left no? I always thought when your file is closed you basically have to re apply. CFAT and personality test they wouldnt make you do again. But still its going to be a while and I highly suggest you dont put all your apples in one basket. Id get out there and find a job. Just dont explain that Army is happening anytime soon because they will be reluctant to hire you. Just my two cents. Im currently re enlisting for my second time. I was in thr Infantry before. And finished my medical last month. Take my advice how you want. Just trying to help you out.

Here is the information you are looking for:

https://army.ca/forums/threads/124464/post-1461319.html#msg1461319

I avoided telling anyone beyond my closest friends and family for this exact reason. I'd rather surprise everyone I know with the news that I'm (hopefully!) heading to BMQ than have to explain that "no, I'm not actually in the army, I didn't get hired" after spreading it around. Most people, I've found, assume that the process is a simple decision to join up followed by a quick trip to the recruiter's followed by a bus trip to BMQ.

Get a job while you wait for the forces.
I started down my excellent career five years ago by getting a minimum wage job at a factory.
I have not looked back.

On another note.
The substance use/abuse.
Ask yourself, is this just a phase in my life, or am I doing this because I am unhappy with my life?

I sent my two-weeks notice a couple of weeks ago and the production overseers were surprised. That's because I've never told everyone about my application to begin with. They then offered me for $1/hr raise then I was like ... EFF THAAATT! I didn't dream to be a low-income earner for the rest of my life and being a factory worker. I want the good pay, I want the constant moving to different places, I want the yuppie girls, and the best of all: the chance to SERVE THE QUEEN AND THE COUNTRY. At the factory, I'm just serving some guy and his corporation getting richer. Pfffttt!!!!

Oh yeah, I definitely I know how you feel.

I think it's because people really see the honor in it, though. That and not a lot of people like physically challenging things, or being yelled at. I feel like everyone I know has their eyes on me after I tell them my ambitions. I'm wanting to go for infantry, but some people don't view me as tough enough, probably because I'm a girl and I still have some professionalism and more seriousness to build up to, but I'll learn. Some think I'm not gonna make it, another handful thinks I'm going to kick butt and pass because they see me as someone who's tough and determined. I'm in it to serve my country and for the experience and fulfillment, you know, the noble stuff! The things we will learn are good skills to have, life skills. I'm eager to learn as well, so should be fun. Definitely not easy though, and it will have its rough moments, but when you step into something as big as this, ask yourself this: Ten years from now, will I have been glad I went down this path? Will it have changed me and made me become this better version of myself that I've always wanted to be and make a difference?

Best of luck to you friend! I know if you have the determination and drive, it can take you wherever you want, and what you'll think is your limit, isn't. You will be challenged. Trust me, and push forth!

Its pretty common for friends and family to be curious and have opinions and questions/concerns I think. I think it varies a lot on if you came from a non military background too. In some families, I'd say its almost EXPECTED to join. I come from more in the middle (lots of vets in the family but lots of non vets too)

I feel like the spot light is on me due to the length of the application process. I get the sense that people assume because they have seen me after like 8 months of telling them I applied to CAF that something is wrong with my application or Im hiding something from them. I dont blame them, because outside of joining the military, its hard to find an employment opportunity that takes 12 months on average from application to offer and commencement of training. But I learned to just echo the same phrase about an application to CAF being a lengthy process and thats the reason they tell you straight up to not quit your job until an offer has been extended. Do your own thing, make yourself a better person and applicant, and dont over think what people may think of you.

sailorprivateer said:
I want the good pay, I want the constant moving to different places, I want the yuppie girls, and the best of all: the chance to SERVE THE QUEEN AND THE COUNTRY. At the factory, I'm just serving some guy and his corporation getting richer. Pfffttt!!!!

Haha love it. Pretty sure a lot of the postings in the CF aren't conducive to the yuppie girls factor! But don't worry - you'll find an urban area to blow your paycheque in and they will be there.

People will always gravitate towards someone who is taking the initiative in life.  I have chosen to enjoy the recruiting process as I see it as a set of logical steps towards a larger goal of mine.  How people view my initiative is entirely up to them.  To be honest though most people are so busy with their own lives and agendas that they probably don't care.  Good luck with your journey though and don't waver!

Back