• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anybody wants info on any of the Techs trades (NET/NWT)?

gunner065

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been a NWT for the past 13 years and surely enjoying the trade.  It has its ups and downs, like any other job, but if you like working with your hands and have half a brain, this trade if for you.  If you got any questions, ask away.

Hey gunner.

My application is going in at the end of January, once I receive some papers from school and I'm going for NWT. It interests me the most and a good buddy of mine, a sonor op, keeps telling me how cool of a trade it seems to be.

My question is, what is the progression to officer like, if at all possible? I know I'm looking very far down the line, but thats just what I do ;)

If I think of any more questions, I'll ask.

Thanks a lot for any info.

Jamie

In general, normal career progression is restricted to your own trade.  What I mean by that, is to be considered/progress to become an officer from the rank, you need to apply to a competition-based program and get accepted.  Again, some NCM's go this route, others don't, and at the end of the day it all depends on what YOU want in life.
    The first reaction I did get from my chain of command when I submitted my application was : "Why are you going officer?  Do you think somehow that you are better than us?"  Don't get me wrong, I love being a NW Tech, but I am at that point in my life where I want more and being an NCM might not be the best way to do it.  NCM and Officer's positions offer different type of challenges and I think that I am now ready to tackle them and I wasn't 13 years ago when I signed up.
  If at any point in your career you somehow think about progressing to the Officer corps, I would strongly recommend that you research which trade you are interested in earlier on your career.  Once you pretty much know which path you want to go, complete as many University courses as possible towards a degree which would be acceptable for that particular trade and finally, be a top performer in your trade.  Again, a lot of young "sailor" enter the Navy and realize after two or three years that they don't really like the Navy as it takes them away from home quite regularly, and them their work ethics and performance fall off the face of the earth.  Then they apply to competition-based programs to either be reassigned to another NCM trade or become officer, and don't understand why they keep on getting rejected.  Reason is: If you are a poor performer at the job you currently do, chances are that you will be a poor performer in your next job and the CF will not endorse such behavior as it represents a lot of money spent on somebody that doesn't not deserve it.

Alright, I realize this thread has been idle for awhile but I didn't want to start a new one because the title to this seems perfect for what I need to know...
So, here goes. I have applied at the Marine Institute to the Navy Electronics Engineering diploma program (NCM-SEP) and although I am still waiting for my acceptance (or refusal), I wanted to ask if anyone is familiar with the timeline for this path. Here is what I believe I am in for:

-January      2012: Semester One at M.I.T. (4 Months)
-May            2012: BMQ (14 Weeks)
-September 2012: Semester Two (4 Months)
-January      2013: Semester Three (4 Months)
-May            2013: Possibly Naval Environmental Training Program (5 Weeks). Not sure what else I will be doing during this period...
-September 2013: Semester Four (4 Months)
-January      2014: Semester Five........

Now, I am curious as to whether this Marine Institute education correlates to the "Apprentice" training described in the Fact sheet for this trade (see below):

"Apprentice Training

NE TECH(S) Apprentice training at the Canadian Forces Naval Engineering School in Halifax, Nova Scotia, takes approximately 64 weeks and includes, but is not limited to, the following academic and equipment curriculum:

•Mathematics and physics
•Electronics
•Electronic Control Devices;
•Basic SONAR propagation theory
•Fiber Optic repair
•Local Area Network repair (LAN)
•Hazardous material cleanup procedures
On completion of the Apprentice academic and equipment training course, the NE TECH(S) is required to complete 15 to 18 months of on-the-job training onboard ship before being qualified as an Apprentice."

My second question involves my preparation for the interview. Since these former specialties (IE: Comm, Radar, Sonar, NWT) have merged into one, should I pretty much just know what each of the job description entails and assume that I will one day be responsible for knowing aspects of each position? 

Any advice or input from people familiar with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

I cannot answer your first question but I can definitely answer your second. The answer is yes, they do expect you to prepare by studying each flavour of NET and NWT. I asked my CFRC this exact question because I have my interview for NWT (WET) this wednesday. PS- dont be afraid to be overprepared. Employers love it when a candidate blows them out of the water with being prepared for an interview!

Thanks Francis,

I figured I should probably study all the trades so I better get on it. Good luck to you with your interview too. 8)

Upon completion of your academic training, you will be posted to a ship. This could either be east or west coast. You will have three packages to complete within a set time frame, with certain leeway given for certain circumsteances. These packages are NETP, WET, and MCC/DCC watch keeper. Regarding the WET package, you will work for a period of time within each CSE (us techs) department. You will learn about certain pieces of equipment and be expected to know certain pieces of information about said equipment.  At the end of this training you will be allowed to state your prefered area of work. This is the apprenticeship portion of training.
Keep in mind that there is also a great deal of "other work" that is to be done while on ship. Taskings include storing ship, destoring ship, cleaning stations, and other duties. Not all of these occur daily. You will also be standing Bos'n Mate and MCC/DCC watchkeeper.

turtlerace79 said:
Thanks Francis,

I figured I should probably study all the trades so I better get on it. Good luck to you with your interview too. 8)
No problem and thanks!

FYI, for anyone at the interview stage. Expect the unexpected
Not only was I getting grilled with questions for all flavours of the WET trade, but it was 1.5hrs long!
Good thing I was given only 6 months to prepare  ;D

As an NCM-SEP you should certainly bypass the academics at CFNES. ( BTW, they have been reduced from 64 weeks to a mere 21 weeks, getting us on board sooner! ) You will have to do the 8 week equipment course on all things CPF or 280 before getting your posting message to a ship. . . .  right now the talks for this new breed "WENG TECH" is that we'll have approx 15 months inboard as an apprentice. 3 months in each of the 5 depts ( weapons, fire control, radar, sonar, comms) although most believe you'll end up jumping around from day to day depending on who's busy. I can just tell you hearsay about OJT tho because I'm only on academics right now.

Hello,
What percentage of candidate fail, or say pass, this course (academics at CFNES)?
Thanks.

In my class, out of 16 NWTs;

4 finished their academics on schedule
4 failed a semester but were allowed to redo the failed semester and keep going if they passed it (which they did)
2 VRs
6 had to change trade because of too low marks/failed pre-academics

Hello QAD, appreciate your quick reply.hmmm... Not a easy trade, Ah?

A couple of questions about your reply:

-2 VRs
Does that mean they quit from Navy?

-6 had to change trade because of too low marks/failed pre-academics
If they failed NWT, what other trades they could do in Navy?

Thanks.

2 VRs; The 2 guys failed their first semester, were given the option to retry, but they didn't like all the school stuff... so they asked for a remuster in a non-red trade (a trade that is basically not in need of more personnel), which was refused since they weren't QL3 qualified and had the academic capacity to pass the course. They finally asked to VR.

The 6 guys that failed a semester (or pre-academics) were not believed to have the capacity to succeed in the trade. These guys should not have been hired in the trade due to their below required minimum school grade / Math knowledge. Some of them had no interest in technical trades but were "convinced" by the staff at some recruitment centers. They were all allowed to remuster. Some went Naval operators, some went Army. I lost track of them

It's not that CSE trades are difficult, its just that some people just don't have the desire to learn all the stuff we (supposedly) have to learn. Some other people have an idealized idea of the trade, and CFNES are experts at destroying such thoughts.

Back