• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anybody have any experience with the eTrex Vista HCX?

Haligonian

Reaction score
I need a GPS for the field (I'll use it for recreation as well).  For my next course I'll spend about 99% in the LAV, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me some experiences they've had with this model and if they reccomend it.

I just recently did a trial test on the Legend HCx, which is essentially the same, just missing the electronic compass and altimeter. Since I'm a dept head at my school (and a geography teacher as well as a history geek), it's my job to do the purchasing. We were looking to replace our 4 yo Magellan Sport Trak map GPS' with some new and less obsolete units. I did a lot of research and decided on this model (combination of features and price-we work for the gov't-only the bureaucrats have limitless budgets). I bought it back in February with the intention of implementing them in September for our classes. I bought 3 more to do some training with the geography teachers before the end of the school year.
As for the unit, I think it's nothing less than awesome. Compared to the old Magellan’s, it is head shoulders above. The Magellan would take forever to get a fix (upwards of several minutes), while this one does it sometimes in seconds. It works in the house (obviously you lose some accuracy-which is displayed on the satellite screen with the best reception being +3-4 metres). I've taken it everywhere; hiking on the trails by house, drives around the city and even a trip to Minneapolis. While it does work in heavy cover (densely treed areas, the shadow of mountains), its accuracy suffers a bit. All the functions and screens are easy to use and look great in colour. The unit does turn by turn navigation, which is great; a handheld which can do both functions.
The best part of the unit is the software support. It comes with a basic waypoint/route editor, but you can buy a lot of add-on software and upload maps to the unit via USB and micro SD card. I bought the Canadian Topo software for the school, as well as North American Navigator driving try for myself. I also found US National Park Topo maps on the net, which covers part of Northern Minnesota near where I live. The only complaint that I have is that you can only use one set of maps at a time (requires you to reload the map set which does take 10-20 minutes). The topo software is great, showing a lot of detail as well as contours. The driving software is equally impressive, with some 6 million points of interest. My wife and I went to Minneapolis in March, so I took it along (even though I’ve been there many times, I thought it would be helpful). Using the software, I preloaded our route and the locations were going to visit before hand (this was great since we were arriving a night and staying in an area we have never been before). The directions were bang on every time (though it did us a few bizarre/roundabout routes that we simply improvised around). We were driving around at one point and realized we needed gas. I started to look around to try to find a station, but then realized I had to GPS. A couple quick clicks and it pointed out 6 in the area.  :)
Well, to make a very long story short, buy this unit. I would however suggest that you also invest in the software as well. Hope this helps.

I own an eTrex Vista, which is a couple models older then the HCX. Coincidently, I have quite a bit of time using it in a LAV.

I found the electronic compass to be an awsome feature, except for the fact that it sucks batteries. I recommend that the compass is left off untill you need it. Another good feature is the that you can load maps into it, and more importantly the maps you need are usually in the system. Make friends with the GEOTechs and they just might hook you up - both in Canada and overseas. The menus are quick and easy to navigate, and you can customize the trip computer page to give an easy to read "where the hell am I?" while on the move. Having your grid, bearing, compass arrow, distance to point, time of day, and ETA all on one easy to read page makes life a hell of alot easier - especially for a PL signaller.

That said, this GPS - at least the model I have - does not support an extrenal antenna and therefore is useless from inside a LAV. A CC could dummychord it to the bar that runs across the front of his hatch and it will work fine, but the moment he takes the vista inside the LAV it will lose it's satellite signal. With that in mind, if you take the time to calibrate your TACNAV and ensure your PLGR is working properly this almost becomes a moot point. You still wont be able to actually sit inside your LAV with your Vista and your map, but if you don't mind standing up for this sort of thing it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps!

For my two cents I would go with the legend over the Vista, you will be a lot happier.

Harley Sailor said:
For my two cents I would go with the legend over the Vista, you will be a lot happier.

I concur.  I recently had to evaluate 4 different GPS models for work.  The Legend HCX won hands down.  All the HCX with the new receivers are superior for picking up signals.  Older/traditional units can get jumpy reception inside a vehicle/house; the HCXs are super sensitive.  I am able to pick up 3-5 birds from my house basement !

Harley Sailor said:

How would not having the baro alt and compass make someone "a lot happier"?  ???

I would never underestimate the value of being able to orientate a map without physically having to move.

Good2Golf said:
How would not having the baro alt and compass make someone "a lot happier"?  ???

I would never underestimate the value of being able to orientate a map without physically having to move.

Well!  If one wanted to be really Kool and Techie, they could then go out and buy GPS Photolink and link the GPS, their laptop and digital Cameras all toghther and make cool presentations of where they have been.  ;D

George Wallace said:
Well!  If one wanted to be really Kool and Techie, they could then go out and buy GPS Photolink and link the GPS, their laptop and digital Cameras all toghther and make cool presentations of where they have been.   ;D

Techno dork  ;D

Good2Golf said:

To start, I've found the compass to be a battery pig and I always have a real compass with me anyway.

I only used the compass feature occasionally, and still ran 24-30 hrs operating time before needing new batteries.  I did not keep the compass on full-time, though, not required for a fix.  I suppose if someone kept it on, it might affect battery life.  No doubt, the eTrex is a nice unit, especially nicely set up considering the relatively minimal amount of buttons, it was easy to surf around the menus and label waypoints, etc...

Good2Golf said:
I only used the compass feature occasionally, and still ran 24-30 hrs operating time before needing new batteries.  I did not keep the compass on full-time, though, not required for a fix.  I suppose if someone kept it on, it might affect battery life.  No doubt, the eTrex is a nice unit, especially nicely set up considering the relatively minimal amount of buttons, it was easy to surf around the menus and label waypoints, etc...

So let me get this right, you like the Vista better then the Legend because of the electronic compass. Very interesting.

Harley Sailor said:
So let me get this right, you like the Vista better then the Legend because of the electronic compass. Very interesting.

For the extra $30 cost, and to have that feature and the baro altimeter, yes. 

I'm glad you're so interested.

p.s.  How much did your Silva Ranger cost?

I've used the Legend (or a similar model, IIRC) and I will say that the electronic compass on the Vista models is the cat's ass. I could do without the altimeter - never had a use for it, but the compass is very handy for walking points and bypassing obstacles. While it's true that it does suck up battery power and should spend most of it's time turned off, when I do use the feature it is much faster and much easier then navigation with a magnetic compass - even to a fault. It's very easy to become dependant on a unit like the Vista and allow old fashioned map and compass skills to fade.

I think there is still a role for the magnetic compass. IMHO it is  better for shooting accurate bearings, not to mention that the batteries never die. It is also important to train with the old school map and compass to gain a better understanding of how the ground relates to lines on a map - and become one with the forest. ;D

But once you have a grip on navigation with a map and magnetic compass and you have comitted yourself to maintaining those skills, a GPS with an electronic compass is well worth the money.

Wonderbread said:
I think there is still a role for the magnetic compass. IMHO it is  better for shooting accurate bearings, not to mention that the batteries never die. It is also important to train with the old school map and compass to gain a better understanding of how the ground relates to lines on a map - and become one with the forest. ;D

Well the compass on the Vista keeps changing bearing to bring you to the point, wile the good old magnetic one can be off over long distances (ie pers walking slightly left/right every 100 m), as it can't change.

just my 2 cents

Where would you guys recommend I but this unit?  I've found that I can get it off of ebay for cheapest (brand new).  However shipping and handling is looking to be in the area of $40 dollars and then there is duty because it seems all of the units are from South of the border.  By the time I paid all that it would probably more expensive than buying it at a store.  Any suggestions?

Not sure what prices you've seen or how the items at the website I list below stack up pricewise.  I've bought 6 GPS units from Art at Prairie Geomatics and never had a problem.  If I remember correctly shipping may even have been free (Canada Post Express).  Check it out anyway if you're interested.

http://www.prairie.mb.ca/etrex/main.php

Cheers,  Shayne

NL_engineer said:
Quote from: Wonderbread on Today at 15:19:45
I think there is still a role for the magnetic compass. IMHO it is  better for shooting accurate bearings, not to mention that the batteries never die. It is also important to train with the old school map and compass to gain a better understanding of how the ground relates to lines on a map - and become one with the forest.

Well the compass on the Vista keeps changing bearing to bring you to the point, wile the good old magnetic one can be off over long distances (ie pers walking slightly left/right every 100 m), as it can't change.

just my 2 cents

I should have been clearer here.

The fact that an electronic compass will always point you to the position you want to reach is great for walking points and makes bypassing swamps or other obstacles easy. I agree with you on that.

But a magnetic compass, I've found, is better for shooting bearings for things like range cards. To sight a bearing on a vista you rely on the lanyard as well as two small white lines at the top and bottom of the display. By holding the vista in front of you, lining up the white hashmarks, and then selecting "project waypoint" the vista will give your a bearing to target. This IMHO, is easier to do on a magnetic compass. The sighting notch above the mirror is easy to line up with the lanyard, then it's a simple matter of putting the red in the bed.

It's hard to explain on the interweb. :p

Wonderbread said:
But a magnetic compass, I've found, is better for shooting bearings for things like range cards. To sight a bearing on a vista you rely on the lanyard as well as two small white lines at the top and bottom of the display. By holding the vista in front of you, lining up the white hashmarks, and then selecting "project waypoint" the vista will give your a bearing to target. This IMHO, is easier to do on a magnetic compass. The sighting notch above the mirror is easy to line up with the lanyard, then it's a simple matter of putting the red in the bed.

It's hard to explain on the interweb. :p
I have never tried that, and never will, its just like trying to use a GPS to shoot a bearing from a map  ::)

I have never tried that, and never will, its just like trying to use a GPS to shoot a bearing from a map

I don't follow.

To use a map and GPS to find a bearing you just input the grid you start, the grid you end, set a route, and out comes your bearing in mils. Ensure your electronic compass is set on Grid North. Should this not work?

There are times when you need to find a bearing to something that you can see on the ground, but it is not marked on your map (and therefore no grid ref). I'm just saying that it's easier - in my opinion - to find that bearing with a magnetic compass.

Wonderbread said:
I don't follow.

To use a map and GPS to find a bearing you just input the grid you start, the grid you end, set a route, and out comes your bearing in mils. Ensure your electronic compass is set on Grid North. Should this not work?

There are times when you need to find a bearing to something that you can see on the ground, but it is not marked on your map (and therefore no grid ref). I'm just saying that it's easier - in my opinion - to find that bearing with a magnetic compass.

No I witnessed someone try that  ::), should have explained it better

Back