• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any YTEP's still alive and kicking

I was "posted" to CFRC Halifax for one day to sign the papers, changing me from Res to Reg.  ;D

HFXCrow said:
I have heard of these mysterious YTEP soldiers.

A couple of questions: What was the reason/premise for the YTEP and why did you join as a trade and remuster to another one?

Did you have to go to Cornwallis or depot training upon entry?

Thanks and to the YTEP's who have retired. Congrats

In my case I first joined up as a Cook (not my choice but because I wanted in at that time and didn't want to travel all the way to Toronto to enlist into the trade I really wanted).  I was told that it was only for 1 year and that I could remuster after that.  What they didn't tell me was that in order to re-enlist after that first year, I had to stay in that trade.  I really hated cooking, I wanted to be a Medic.
I went through Cornwallis for basic and then was off to Cold Lake for 4 months OJT before my crse in Borden started.  I was a cook for 7 years before I was able to remuster out and, that took 21/2 years to get approval on a medical remuster (I was allergic to cooking flour as it turned out).

HFXCrow said:
Did you have to go to Cornwallis or depot training upon entry?

Went artillery in September of 1983 (instead of holding out for a Navy trade which is what I really wanted).

To answer the question above, I was sent directly to the RCA Battleschool in Shilo for basic/GMT and then trades training. All of us B Troop guys wound up posted to 3RCHA in Shilo. The A Troop guys (also YTEP) wound up getting sent to 2RCHA in Petawawa.

I decided this just wasn't for me and went back to my reserve regiment for a couple of years then got out altogether.
But given my ongoing fascination for ships and the sea -which gets deeper the older I get- I always wonder where I'd be right now if I'd held out for the Navy trade.

Good argument, I guess, to not be an impatient kid (like I was) and to wait for the trade you want.   

I was 6 platoon, believe 8339, grad just before xmas 83. Joined as 512 Airfram YTEP and accepted Reg Force as a clerk. hated desk job at that age so remustered to Rad op in 86. Retired in 2008 in Kingston.

I believe the age limit was 17 to 25.

YTEP was an awesome program to get your foot into the door for military back then. If you didnt like the lifestyle, at the end of the year you just said no.

Maraduer said:
I was 6 platoon, believe 8339, grad just before xmas 83. Joined as 512 Airfram YTEP and accepted Reg Force as a clerk. hated desk job at that age so remustered to Rad op in 86. Retired in 2008 in Kingston.

I believe the age limit was 17 to 25.

YTEP was an awesome program to get your foot into the door for military back then. If you didnt like the lifestyle, at the end of the year you just said no.

Maraduer; we just missed each other, I left Cornwallis first week of Nov, I was serial 8335.  I retired in Kingston in 2008 also, as a Sig Op.

Mike

8545 (YTEP)  10 Platoon (Kill a Commie for Mommy)  and still serving......      :salute:

Maraduer said:
Hey Mike63
If it helps, I retired out of 2 ASG MSG CTR, First name is Ken

Hey Ken, I think I know you.  I use to be a TelOp before they melted us in with the RadOps.  I was at CFJSR fm 03-08 and retired.  I think I met you through Heather Morgan once at the curling rink.

Very possible Mike63.

You may also know my brother Andy who has been at the Regiment since at least 2000

Maraduer said:
Very possible Mike63.

You may also know my brother Andy who has been at the Regiment since at least 2000

I probably do know your brother as well.  I just know that I couldn't get posted to the Msg Ctr in 03 because (and this is what the CM told me...) "the Sgt that is there now isn't ready to leave yet, so to the Regt you go"  lol...but actually going to the Regt was a good thing for me.  I met a lot of good people, had a really good time (well up to the time that I got hurt DAGn for Kabul), and I'm really glad things worked out the way they did.

Burneau is the last name.
Sorry to hear about getting hurt Dagging, but its awesome that you have a great attitude about it.
I went over to the msg ctr in 03 as a Cpl
Was an awesome posting.
Kind of missed the Regt routine though
Medically released  as well, but same attitude. Working for one of the big Federal Organizations in Kingston.
Nice to know I will never get that phone call at 0300 asking me to come in.
Still fight VAC after 9 years.

Maraduer said:
Burneau is the last name.
Sorry to hear about getting hurt Dagging, but its awesome that you have a great attitude about it.
I went over to the msg ctr in 03 as a Cpl
Was an awesome posting.
Kind of missed the Regt routine though
Medically released  as well, but same attitude. Working for one of the big Federal Organizations in Kingston.
Nice to know I will never get that phone call at 0300 asking me to come in.
Still fight VAC after 9 years.
Your brother is/was a MCpl?
It's all about attitude eh, can't cry over spilled milk.  As much as I hate to admit it, I quite often miss the msg ctr life.
I use to hate having to call the 'on duty operator' at 0330 when I was in Edmonton, over something usually that could have waited until Wainwright, Yellowknife or Suffield would open up their cct.
I'm now working as a term CR03 General Admin Clk with the CDA.  It's a good gig but I'm hoping a indertimant position will come available, still miss my uniform though.
Keep up the fight with the VAC, I have stories I could tell you about them and all the fighting I've been doing since 1998!

Yeah my brother is a MCpl.
Here Here on missing the uniform sometimes.
Where I work as a CR04 indeterminante, there is alot of hostility towards retired military guys double dipping. My new boss hates us and has stated she will not hire a priority if she can get away with it.
Making my life hell. Freakin micro-manager. 
I miss being told to do a job and having supervisors who trusted you do do it the army way.
I have contemplated a deployment to CFB just to get back into some familiar territory.

So were you a priority hiring to CDA? I turned down CE when I started the priority hring process, they wanted me to be a book keeper with no proper training...lol
What do you mean we dont have money for that contract we did yesterday before I ordered a new dump truck

Maraduer said:
Yeah my brother is a MCpl.
Here Here on missing the uniform sometimes.
Where I work as a CR04 indeterminante, there is alot of hostility towards retired military guys double dipping. My new boss hates us and has stated she will not hire a priority if she can get away with it.
Making my life hell. Freakin micro-manager. 
I miss being told to do a job and having supervisors who trusted you do do it the army way.
I have contemplated a deployment to CFB just to get back into some familiar territory.

So were you a priority hiring to CDA? I turned down CE when I started the priority hring process, they wanted me to be a book keeper with no proper training...lol
What do you mean we dont have money for that contract we did yesterday before I ordered a new dump truck
Yep I know your brother.
Your lucky that you got your indeterminate position.  I'm only term until 31 Mar 12 with a very good chance of being renewed but, that will be determined once the budget is sorted out and we see just how we will be affected when the troops start coming home from Afghanistan.  You might want to watch out for another CR04 indeterminate position that will be coming avail soon at the CDA.  The girl that I work under, is posted to Ottawa this APS, we just don't know exactly when as that will be determined on the sell of her house.  Her hubby is IR in Ottawa already.  It's a bilingual position, lots of paperwork but very manageable because I do lots of her work with her.

As for your current boss...well she's just an idiot!  Plain and simple.  There is a reason why we are a priority and it is no fault of our own.  She should be happy to have people like us.  I've worked with civies that have never been in the military and between you and me, they are not worth the paper that their pay cheque's are written on.  Now, that is not all civies, just my experience with the few.  They are lazy, take longer than allowed breaks, spend more time complaining about the job than they do actually working at it, they are not dedicated, they are not punctual and at the same time, figure they should be getting paid more for doing less.  I just don't get it, maybe it's just me.

Nope it's not just you. 
You hit it about dead on.  My boss is usually 20 minutes late almost everyday.  You would think she would leave 25 minutes early.
I would love to take the job at CDA. however I lack the bilingual aspect.
The other problem is because of our work ethic i would most likely be getting the work done, so you can enjoy a long coffee break..lol
I am considering coming back to the base.
I would be nice to work out at the gym on base before or after work.
Just ran into another signaller who went pri to corrections then became a guard.
He has our exact point of view.
Calls them slack and lazy

Are you part of the SISIP class action law suit as well?

Maraduer said:
Nope it's not just you. 
You hit it about dead on.  My boss is usually 20 minutes late almost everyday.  You would think she would leave 25 minutes early.
I would love to take the job at CDA. however I lack the bilingual aspect.
The other problem is because of our work ethic i would most likely be getting the work done, so you can enjoy a long coffee break..lol
I am considering coming back to the base.
I would be nice to work out at the gym on base before or after work.
Just ran into another signaller who went pri to corrections then became a guard.
He has our exact point of view.
Calls them slack and lazy

Are you part of the SISIP class action law suit as well?

When I was on the PriList, I had received a few emails from Corrections Canada, to send in my resume.  All the positions where at the Bath Institution, some where as payroll clk and 2 where something to do with making up the inmates work schedule and making sure they got paid.  There would be a lot of face to face with these guys which didn't sit too well with me, mainly because I wouldn't be carrying any wpns...lol...didn't take them up on any of them positions.

No I am not part of this SISIP class action suit.  What is that all about?  All I know is, that I think what SISIP really has to re-look at the way they 'help' us out.  They should not include any VAC payment towards the amount of money they deduct from what they will pay you each month...that is total BS and a slap in the face!

My first post on this forum. I joined as a YTEP in late Oct '83. Went through Cornwallis fm Oct 83 - Jan 84, crse 8344, 7 Pl. Did a few weeks in Pat Pl in Kingston, then started my 212 Tel Op TQ3's in Feb (?), maybe March of '84. Crse 8401, if I recall correctly. (Anyone remember Obi-Wan-Kanugly?) Just pulled the pin in January of this year, after 27+ yrs svc. Now a greasy,  long haired, double-dippin' civvy. That damned YTEP year haunted me right to the very end. Seemed like the right thing at the time. No idea I'd do 25+ yrs. Probably would have done 35, but blew a back, and was released 3B.

Anyone on a 3b release, are we not automatically on the SISIP Class Action Lawsuit.?  I don't recall having to put your name on the list. Anyone.??

krustyrl said:
Anyone on a 3b release, are we not automatically on the SISIP Class Action Lawsuit.?  I don't recall having to put your name on the list. Anyone.??

Yes I'm on the list.  I was told that I was automatically put on the list by this group. http://leavenovetbehind.com/

I also received this email from them wrt the class action lawsuit,

Dear Mike,

This is an update to our June 2011 memo to the Class.
We are pleased to inform you that the Federal Court will hear two issues raised in the Class Action on November 16 and 17, 2011. The hearing will begin at 9:30 am on November 16 and 17, 2011 at The Law Courts located at 1815 Upper Water Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The hearing is open to the public and we encourage all interested Class Members and supporters to attend.
The parties have asked the Court to determine the following two questions:
1. Does the Government have a legal right under the insurance policy (SISIP 901102) to reduce the Class Member’s SISIP long term disability benefit in the amount of the Class Member’s Pension Act disability pension?
2. Is the Government miscalculating the Class Member’s SISIP long term disability benefit under the insurance policy (SISIP 901102)?
The Federal Court is able to hear these issues at this early stage because the parties have agreed on the relevant facts.
The Federal Court will not decide all of the issues in Class Action. If the Court decides against the Class on these issues, the Class Action will continue on the remaining issues.

Whenever you wish to send us an e-mail regarding this lawsuit please use the following address: SISIPClassAction@mcinnescooper.com. This should help to make e-mail communications regarding this action as efficient as possible.

Best Regards,
The SISIP class action team
http://LeaveNoVetBehind.ca
http://Facebook.com/LeaveNoVetBehind
# # #

kato1964 said:
My first post on this forum. I joined as a YTEP in late Oct '83. Went through Cornwallis fm Oct 83 - Jan 84, crse 8344, 7 Pl. Did a few weeks in Pat Pl in Kingston, then started my 212 Tel Op TQ3's in Feb (?), maybe March of '84. Crse 8401, if I recall correctly. (Anyone remember Obi-Wan-Kanugly?) Just pulled the pin in January of this year, after 27+ yrs svc. Now a greasy,  long haired, double-dippin' civvy. That damned YTEP year haunted me right to the very end. Seemed like the right thing at the time. No idea I'd do 25+ yrs. Probably would have done 35, but blew a back, and was released 3B.

Hey Kato,
You where there the same time I was.  I was serial 8335, 27 Aug - 4 Nov 83. 5 Plt right across the street from the messhall.  You spent your entire career as a TelOp?  I was medically remustered to TelOP (spent the first 7 yrs as a Cook) in Jan 90 - Sep 08.

Back