• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any Info On Brits joining CF

• Thread starter Steady The Buffs
  • Start date
S

Steady The Buffs

Meh i put this in the foreign militaries and not much luck.. might get some amswers here maybe.. :)

I join the Military Police next September, I plan to the initial four years service. Once that is up i want to immigrate, as when i have children i do not want to bring them up here. (Plus this place, i think is generally a hole.) Canada is just a much nicer place i have found. I just want to know does anyone know the procedures for a Brit to join the CF, do i need to give up my British Citizenship? Is Dual acceptable? The training i receive over here will that count?.. i have heard many stories.. and the recruiters here arn't too keen on giving info that would lose them soldiers.

Any information is much appriciated  

I am not in the army yet but my father was in the infantry for 24 years. and knows many british people serving in the CF. I also beleive that dual is allowed.

good luck

I waited a few days to see if anybody knows more about this than I do but I can tell you that Canada does allow dual citizenship. As for joining the Canadian Army, I have a friend who was in the Royal Tank Regiment in the UK and was posted to British Army Training Unit Suffield here in Canada. From there he applied for and was granted landed immigrant status. After his engagement with the British Army ended he joined the Canadian Army and is now with Lord Strathcona's Horse.

Contact the Canadian High Commission in London and they can probably put you in contact with a Recruiting Centre in Canada or with the Canadian Defense Liaison Staff in London.

As far as I know, Canada no longer enrolls individuals who are not Canadian citizens: there is no longer any status of "Commonwealth Citizen" as there was 20 years ago. I am also fairly certain that your UK military training is not a guarantee of equivalent status in our Security Branch. I am aware of at least one case in our Bde of a UK former serviceman who applied to join the Reserve here but found that he was to be given little or no credit for UK training: I assume a similar situation could arise in an application to the Regular force as well. I expect you will find that it varies from Branch to Branch, but the recency of your training will be very important.

Best route is to contact a Canadian Recruiting Centre and get the current policy. Good luck and cheers.

When i was teaching at CFSME we got a new WO posted to the school, he was fresh from the Royal Engineers.  His family live in the UK and he stayed in the SNCO quarters on base.  He was enrolled at the rank of WO with QL6B.

The big issue here is citizenship.  Unfortunately, as was stated we don't still practice the "Commonwealth/Empire Citizen" any longer.  Chances are you'll have to gain Canadian Citizenship prior to processing.  The "accrediting" of courses and qualifications are handled on a case by case basis, and it may take a while for the verification of former service to come back from the Brit MoD.  Fortunately we are still speaking with the Brits, diplomatically (Sub fiasco not with standing) so it won't take as long as some countries.  Good luck ;D

Back