• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anti-terrorism squads raid Ottawa homes

girlfiredup

Inactive
Reaction score
Web Posted | Mar 30 2004 09:14 AM EST

News Writer
c/o Mike Woloschuk
Online News
Journalist
CBC Montreal

Anti-terrorism squads raid Ottawa homes
OTTAWA - Armed RCMP anti-terrorism squads raided and searched two locations in Ottawa Monday, arresting one man in an apparent national security operation.

The office of Public Safety Minister Anne McLellan was notified late Monday about the raids, conducted by the RCMP‘s national security investigation section with the involvement of international agencies, sources told CBC News.

RCMP spokesperson Nathalie Deschenes would not reveal much about the operation, other than to say: "We are the lead on this investigation. We are investigating this criminal activity. I can‘t confirm if anybody else is with us on this."

Dozens of officers raided the two-storey home of a Pakistani-born economist on a suburban street in Orléans Monday afternoon, marking it off with yellow tape, and continuing to search it into the early morning hours Tuesday.

Police came and went in the darkness for several hours as reporters waited for information. Across the street from the house, a woman wearing a hijab sat in the back of an unmarked car, answering questions posed by two other women with notebooks.

A neighbour, Trudy Churchill, said a husband and wife, as well as a number of teen and adult children, have lived in the home for a number of years.

"The mother is kind of quiet," said Churchill. "She‘ll just say ‘hi,‘ but the dad, he‘ll ask how you‘re doing, a little bit of conversation. The kids are very quiet though."

The house is listed as being occupied by Dr. Mahboob Khawaja, once listed on the faculty of Syracuse University and the author of a book and several essays about Muslims and the West.

Khawaja is a native of Pakistan‘s northwest Frontier Province, near the border with Afghanistan. He was in Saudi Arabia, where he teaches economics, when the RCMP SWAT team stormed his home.

Qamar Masood, president of the Canada-Pakistan Association of the National Capital Region, knows the family, and has spoken to them, since the raid.

Masood says he believes that one of Khawaja‘s sons, Momin, was arrested. and that he works as a contractor for the Department of National Defence. Police confirm they arrested one man, but hadn‘t identified or charged him by Tuesday morning.

Police also searched another location in the Ottawa region, but wouldn‘t say where.

I thought the RCMP gave anti-terrorism to JTF2. They must still do some stuff though. I especially like the guys name "Dr. Mahboob". :D

I‘m sure JTF 2 had a part to play in the raid or events leading up to it. Yeah!!!! I like that. I like it when we hear about our canadian anti-terrorist organizations getting the job done. :akimbo: As for the guy‘s name Mahboob, not cool. I‘d be changing my name real fast.

Of course the jtf HAD to be involved. Not like its a job for law enforcement.

I AM glad we are cracking down on these idiots though. Catch em and deport em or put them to work.

As for the guy‘s name Mahboob, not cool. I‘d be changing my name real fast.
That‘s a pretty rude remark don‘t you think? Are you basing your remark on the fact that his name is not a "traditional" Canadian name like Joe or Mike? Or is it something deeper? Inquiring minds would love your insight into this matter.

If you are insinuating that I am prejudice, you are wrong. My remark is based on the fact the name is too closely related to a breast but the real meaning of boob is "A stupid or foolish person; a dolt" and in this case, if Mahboob is responsible for plotting terrorism then the name suits him fine.

Not trying to insinuate anything....just pointing out that you just left a unclear statement that could be taken in the wrong context. TBYP

Do you think that they just called them "Armed RCMP Anti-Terrorist squads" becuase JTF2 is so secret squirrel, and they don‘t want to reveal their missions? :akimbo:

What? Public discussion of JTF2??
Lean closer to your monitors ... (we‘re going to have to kill ALL of you ... chuckle).

Of course, it‘s all purely speculation, but ... similar to recent activity in Britain whereby MI5 and civilian police officers conducted the raids, one might reasonably expect that the RCMP and other civilian tactical police units conducted the raids in Ottawa - presuming that the threat assessment/analysis indicated it was safe to do so (i.e. if they were arresting an accountant for money-laundering on behalf of a terrorist organisation, and if there was no probability of encountering armed resistance ... I think Dudley Do-Right can handle it ...).
The use of civilian police also sends a powerful message: Criminal suspects were arrested (vice "Freedom Fighters attacked by Army" ...).
But, this is all "armchair quarterback" musing ...

More ...
(I wonder why certain journalists focussed on the Muslim side of this story - were they trying to incite racial/religious hatred, or perhaps attempting to undermine a police investigation by subtle allegations of racism/profiling, or were they pandering to a Marxist editor ... ?).

Also - there‘s a classic example of stupidity in this report - they have marked a neighbour for retaliation ... one wonders whether this was complete incompetence or stupidity on the part of the journalist, or an under-handed way of blading somebody who co-operated with a police investigation (and thereby intimidating others from doing so in the future) - I hope the neighbour sues the newspaper for the cost of relocation(!)

Ottawa Muslims held in global terror sweep
‘They think they were making bombs‘

Isabel Teotonio, Vito Pilieci and Gary Dimmock, with files from Don Campbell
The Ottawa Citizen
Tuesday, March 30, 2004

A handful of Ottawa Muslims were being questioned last night in what authorities described as an international terror probe that saw heavily-armed Mounties storm the home of one of the city‘s most prominent Muslims.

At 1:30 p.m. yesterday, RCMP tactical units, acting on security intelligence briefs, fanned out across the city, arresting one young Muslim man and questioning several others.

The raids followed a month-long RCMP surveillance operation targeting the Orleans home of Mahboob A. Khawaja, who is presently teaching at a university in Saudi Arabia.

Reached there last night, Mr. Khawaja said he was "extremely disturbed" by the raid.

"It‘s nothing more than a hoax to create embarrassment," he said in a telephone interview. "I don‘t have the facts about why they would raid my house and take my two children into custody."

The Mounties forced their way into his home, but their target was nowhere to be found. Instead, they found two of Mr. Khawaja‘s adult children.

His wife, Azra, had gone out for some afternoon shopping and was picked up by police at a shopping centre.

Later in the day, RCMP arrested a Muslim man linked to the house.

According to his friends, one of Mr. Khawaja‘s four sons was taken away yesterday by RCMP as he walked the hallways of the University of Ottawa, school books in hand.

Mohsan Khawaja has not been charged with any crime and the RCMP would not say why they wanted to talk with the economics student. His brother, Tanzeel Khawaja, studies at Carleton University.

The RCMP would not disclose details of the probe. However, Qamar Masood, president of the Canada-Pakistan Association of the National Capital Region, arrived at the home last night. He says he later spoke with Mr. Khawaja‘s wife. "She said they think that they were making bombs or something of that nature. But she said, of course, that‘s impossible."

Mr. Khawaja also said the police alleged that his children had been making bombs.

"Bombs? I don‘t think there is any substance to this allegation," said Mr. Khawaja. "No way. It‘s nothing more than a hoax. Maybe some kids were picking on them -- but no way, they‘re educated guys ... It doesn‘t make any sense."

"I know my children, they‘re not involved in this kind of thing. We are a very peaceful educated family. We have nothing to do with this notion of security risk, or bomb making This whole thing sounds absurd to me. It‘s created a lot of inconvenience for my family," Mr. Khawaja said.

So far, only one suspect has been arrested. He has yet to be named, let alone charged, although police expect to make a "major announcement" later this week.

The RCMP insisted yesterday that Mr. Khawaja‘s family, including his wife and some of the adult children, were not being held.

Yesterday‘s raid has rattled Ottawa‘s tight-knit Muslim community, with many expressing fears of more arrests. Others hope that police suspicions are a misunderstanding.

"They are a very nice family with nice kids and well liked in the community," said Fazal Khan, a longtime friend and president of Islamic Society of Cumberland.

Mr. Khan said one of the Khawaja sons, Momin, worked for the federal government as a computer engineer.

Momin Khawaja could often be seen praying at Bilal Mosque on Innes Road in Blackburn Hamlet. The mosque, a converted house, has a basketball net in the lane, much like the one at the family‘s middle-class home.

"I just hope that this is all a misunderstanding," said Mr. Khan.

Mr. Khawaja has five children, four sons: Mohsan, Tanzeel, Momin and Qasim, and one daughter, Sabeen. His children were born and raised in Canada, while Mr. Khawaja teaches abroad.

The family is respected within the Muslim community, and praised for their intelligence and volunteer work.

Mr. Khawaja, an academic who has authored several publications on conflict resolution, including a book, Muslims and the West: Quest for Change and Conflict Resolution, which was published in 2000.

In the book, Mr. Khawaja argues for a better understanding of fundamentalism, noting that it is often laden with "negative connotations." The author analyses world conflict and the difficulty of finding "meeting grounds" for the two societies. He has also criticized Arab leaders as "leaderless."

He wrote this about the invasion of Iraq: "American and specially-hired Brits -- Tony Blair‘s war protagonists -- do believe that it was a real war fought against Saddam Hussein (their former faithful client), and it ended in American victory and success even though the WMD hoax was a stage drama, nothing other than a planned deception and treachery to the collective conscience of humanity that demonstrated strong opposition against the American planned war.

"Arab leaders celebrate the American success in Iraq, but prey at their own people under the disguise of terrorism to dispel any sign of public resentment against the American intransigence and aggression in Iraq. Even the Arab League ... could not dare to name America as the aggressor in Iraq. Deception and treachery knows no bound," wrote Mr. Khawaja, who has a PhD.

Neighbours and friends of the quiet family were shaken yesterday when the convoy of heavily armed RCMP officers stormed the home, located at 672 Princess Louise Dr.

They broke through the front door of the white, two-storey home.

Into the night, the RCMP could be seen scouring the house for clues. The house was cordoned off with police tape and is being treated as a crime scene.

As of late last night, Cpl. Nathalie Deschenes would only say that the raid was part of a "criminal investigation" and the residents of the home in Orleans were not in custody. No charges have been laid.

Those who lived in the house were asked to leave while police prepared for an intense search. At times, up to 20 Mounties could be seen coming and going from the property.

As day turned to night, Mounties could be seen eating takeout chicken, delivered in a dinner wagon.

The RCMP approached neighbours about a month ago, asking for permission to use their property to stage around-the-clock surveillance from unmarked cars, parked in a driveway three doors down.

Sulaiman Khan, director of Islamic Information and Education Centre on Lisgar Street, was stunned by the news of the raid.

"I‘ve known them for many years and the boys are exemplary in their behaviour," said Mr. Khan.

"The boys are very quiet, they‘re never boisterous or loud. Everybody in the community knows them because they are so good."

Originally posted by Ghost778:
[qb] Of course the jtf HAD to be involved. Not like its a job for law enforcement.

I AM glad we are cracking down on these idiots though. Catch em and deport em or put them to work. [/qb]
Sure Ghost.

Could it possibly be like the article stated? An RCMP SWAT (well really ERT) and some National Security Invesigators?

Unless you have some insight we don‘t have.

devil39
Look under the "S" and read the definition for sarcasm.

What‘s wrong with the name Mike? Despite the fact that guys with that name are all boobs, I mean.

Originally posted by Bruce Monkhouse:
[qb] devil39
Look under the "S" and read the definition for sarcasm. [/qb]
Ahh... the subtle nuances of expression in the electronic medium. Must have missed that somehow.

Originally posted by Masterful_Marksman:
[qb] The RCMP WAS in charge of Anti-Terrorism up until 1993 when members of the unit started complaining that Anti-terrorism involved hurting people and that it went against their oath to protect people and thus were subsequently disbanded. The government then created JTF2.
~Masterful~ [/qb]
Thanks, Sunshine, for your "masterful" insite on the RCMP TRU team...I don‘t suppose you actually have any proof to back up your statement do you?

The team was created for a smaller role than JTF2 currently holds...The RCMP couldn‘t staff or fund what JTF now does. Also, the CF has the infastructure to support them. The RCMP is a Police agency, not a military, and is not set up for international operations.

Maybe somne research would be in order before you favour us with another well informed "masterful" statement!

B-b-b-b-ut I read it on the internet, Slim.

Everyone‘s an expert these days.

Muddledup-marksboy, if that is the truth, than how do you explain the FBI HRT team, considering they are a very similar organization?

(I wonder why certain journalists focussed on the Muslim side of this story - were they trying to incite racial/religious hatred, or perhaps attempting to undermine a police investigation by subtle allegations of racism/profiling, or were they pandering to a Marxist editor ... ?).
Bossi, often the Muslim side of the story is not told. You say that they are undermining the investigation, but rather do you really feel that it is right for the govenment to be spying on citizens to the magnitude that they are? There are two sides to every story.

There are plenty of people who are being spied on by our government simply because they are muslim.
I know of many people in the muslim commmunity here who have their phone tapped by CSIS simply because they go to a Mosque to pray. Is that just or right?

Granted there are some bad apples around, but that is in any religion. Where does the government draw the line when spying on it‘s own citizens?

Where is the religious freedom in this country? I don‘t see it anymore. Why is the government not spying on Christians just in case another David Karesh (sp?) and religious fanatics start causing trouble? So you say the story was undermined by racial/religion profiling, well, I am afraid that is exactly what happened.

The government may or may not have taken a bad person into custody, but at what cost?

Originally posted by Pieman:
, but rather do you really feel that it is right for the govenment to be spying on citizens to the magnitude that they are? There are two sides to every story. [/QB]
In case you hadn‘t noticed we are at WAR. You know the thing where two sides decide they have a disagreement and decide to fight it out...Maybe you don‘t recognize this war because the defenders aren‘t fighting openly...But then neither are the aggressors! If you expect anyone to shed tears on a few trampled civil liberties while the police and security services try to stop a bad group of people from blowing up our cities here in Canada you have another thing coming!

What gets me going is that people have no sense of right and wrong...Never mind the civil rights you‘re whining about, what do you think will happen if a hard line muslim government ever takes power here in Canada...Want me to paint you a picture? Well for starters there wouldn‘t be a forum like this for pussies like you to whine about how the Big Bad police aren‘t being fare! They‘re trying to save our lives from people who very much want the lot of us dead, whether they admit it or not. This is a war...Get used to it or ******* leave!
:cdn:

Slim

Who is very tired of Liberal whiners!

P.S. And do us all a favour...The way you have yourself marketed here may lead people to mistakenly think you‘re a soldier when you‘re not. I would consider changing that picture.

Back