• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another ANZAC Day rolls around (25 Apr)

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, here it is, a typical autumn day, hovering around 26C, sunny at just 1000h on a Saturday morning. Tuesday is ANZAC Day here in Aussie and En Zed.

The entire brigade or whats left of it will head in Brisbane via train for the march around 0700, and then back to Galliopli Bks for unit celebrations. But the Dawn Services will be held at each unit, and they all begin about 0410h, so its an early one for sure.

Either way, this is my 1st time on 25 Apr with my new Unit, and will all the tradition it holds, it should be quite interesting. It all begins for us on Monday night.

Meanwhile, Australia has mobilised more troops to the Solomons, 4 Hercs full of men, who will be there keeping the peace for some time, and with our commitment to the Iraq and the 'Ghan', many of the local lads, are yet in another unpopular war, yet again started by someone else.

Sadly, today one of ours was shot and killed in Baghdad www.news.com.au with not much the details not being released (EDIT: aas of 1520h today) accidently shot himself when cleaning/clearing his weapon). We all know that one of our own lost is one too many.

Anyways for the Poms, Kiwis and other dinkum men of this great southern land who haunt this site often or on occasion, wherever you are, make sure to have a few cold beers on the 25th!

Regards,

Wes

Happy Anzac day to all. I had the privilege of participating in the festivities in Sydney in 2001 - what a great and moving memorial!

Huge support again on Anzac day, the respect young Australians have for soldiers past and present continues to grow with each year, despite the numbers of veterans thinning.

In my city of Melbourne 35,000 people attended the dawn service at the Shrine of Remembrance.

approx. 100,000 people lined the streets for the veterans march to thank surviving soldiers from WW2 right up to the War on Terror, the crowds were 6 deep along many points. Sadly there are no more living Australian WW1 combatants.

At the MCG 96,000 stood in absolute silence for the national anthem, an RAAF aerobatic team flyover, the last post, 2 minutes silence and then reveille before erupting in a roar to begin the annual ANZAC day football game between Essendon and Collingwood.

Tens of thousands of Aussies and kiwis made the pilgrimage to Gallipoli, Turkey to attend the dawn service at Anzac cove and other ceremonies at various battlefields on the peninsula.

Meanwhile the entire hometown of Briagolong attended a service to pay their respects to Private Jake Kovco who died tragically in Iraq just a few days ago. RIP, Lest We Forget :salute:

Yeah, ANZAC day this year rocked. Marched with 4/19 on the usual route to the shrine. Brilliant weather for this time of year too. Thanks as always to the cenotaph guards who did the usual great job.

Resurrecting an old thread:

Thinking of our Aussie/NZ brothers and sisters in arms on the 101st anniversary of ANZAC Day.

Attaturkswords5_2.jpg

Back