• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another Afghanistan Poll to Hit Before They Yank It

Hmmmm....

Results are now 60% in favour and 38.60% against the mission.

Tee hee.

Do you support the use of Canadian troops for security and combat efforts in Afghanistan?
Yes
60.34 %

No
38.31 %

Don't care
1.36 %

Somewhere an editor is spinnin'....

62.5% for
36.2% against
1.23% just want to watch more "Survivior" rather than news.  (and that's MY spin!) ;D

I hit that one this morning, as soon as I saw the paper.  I wonder if they will publish the results if they are not in line with Canwest editorial philosophy. ::)

Poll  Do you support the use of Canadian troops for security and combat efforts in Afghanistan?

Yes
61.32 %

No
37.40 %

Don't care
1.27 %

Poll  Do you support the use of Canadian troops for security and combat efforts in Afghanistan?
Yes
61.52 %

No
37.25 %

Don't care
1.23 %

This is as much fun as gophers and the .22
Next please.........

;)

Yes
61.93 %

No
36.87 %

Don't care
1.20 %

Here's an clip from the article associated with the poll:  

"The poll found that Canadians with a university degree were the most likely to support the mission and nearly six in 10 Canadians whose households earn at least $60,000 a year were among those who are supportive.

"What I think that we're seeing a little bit of here is that people who are a little bit more worldly, that are more plugged into the idea of Canada in the world, seem to have a bit more tolerance for this because they actually see the payoff as being more significant than simply just a sacrifice of troops," Bricker said. They may also be getting used to the idea of casualties, he added."

I may not have a degree, but a few years of service and some time overseas goes a long way towards opening one's eyes.  It helps with seeing the big picture, anyway.  Maybe, according to Canwest, I'm 'worldly'.

I'll still waiting for the headline, "Military encourage poll tampering, allegations of federal vote rigging from NDP"!

I love influencing the world, one yes click at a time... 8)

I think the poll will find that polls can easily be swayed if you click on said poll and then post on a forum for other people to go an click on the poll...

yak said:
Here's an clip from the article associated with the poll:  

"The poll found that Canadians with a university degree were the most likely to support the mission and nearly six in 10 Canadians whose households earn at least $60,000 a year were among those who are supportive.

"What I think that we're seeing a little bit of here is that people who are a little bit more worldly, that are more plugged into the idea of Canada in the world, seem to have a bit more tolerance for this because they actually see the payoff as being more significant than simply just a sacrifice of troops," Bricker said. They may also be getting used to the idea of casualties, he added."

I may not have a degree, but a few years of service and some time overseas goes a long way towards opening one's eyes.  It helps with seeing the big picture, anyway.  Maybe, according to Canwest, I'm 'worldly'.

I think the reason that this "degree" support trend seems to be prevelant is just based simply upon the fact that most who have been through the university process are quite used to "researching" and digging for their information from many valid sources to obtain all the facts.

Quite simply, they are less likely to swallow the emotion-based spin story that the MSM presents to the general public. Sadly though, it seems apparent to me that the average Canadian is too damn lazy to find out all the facts for themself, and relies upon the MSM to tell them how and what to believe.

ArmyVern said:
I think the reason that this "degree" support trend seems to be prevelant is just based simply upon the fact that most who have been through the university process are quite used to "researching" and digging for their information from many valid sources to obtain all the facts.

Quite simply, they are less likely to swallow the emotion-based spin story that the MSM presents to the general public. Sadly though, it seems apparent to me that the average Canadian is too damn lazy to find out all the facts for themself, and relies upon the MSM to tell them how and what to believe.

Vern
you forgot the dreaded "wiki". And I think you again hit the nail on the head with that hammer of yours.

No doubt.  Too many people are too lazy to apply any critical thought.  It's easier to let the TV tell you what to like/dislike, what's funny, what you need to buy to make you happy.

I was getting my will done last week - my lawyer had been in Hawaii the week before.  He said that he couldn't find any news on TV while there save for what Paris Hilton was up to, post release from jail.  It's a sad commentary on our times.

I can't believe how many people I still encounter that think what the US is doing in Iraq and what Canada is doing in Afghanistan are the SAME thing... they don't even seem to know that we aren't in Iraq!!!

Some are probably relieved to hear that our president is going to pull us out soon!!

ArmyVern said:
If only this type of work ethic could be instilled in all Canadians.

... maybe "thought standard" would be better in my sentance above. 

Do you support the use of Canadian troops for security and combat efforts in Afghanistan?

Yes
61.72 %

No
37.24 %

Don't care
1.05 %

ArmyVern,

While the "university-educated" angle may be somewhat true in English Canada, it is important to remember the vast majority of Canadians who are not and have an opinion one way or the other.  If you look at the demographics of Quebec, you will find most "university-educated-types" are very much against the mission.  This has nothing to do with their education, but is more a reflection on the politics/military beliefs already in place in the province.  I think Quebec politics will shape the outcome of Canada's mission in Afghanistan should things take a turn south for the VanDoos.

Yes
63.05 %

No
35.93 %

Don't care
1.02 %

Yes
63.24 %

No
35.75 %

Don't care
1.01 %

Back