• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Annuitant and Class C

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Question for the pension experts out there... If a Class A reservist who is an annuitant takes a Class C contract for international ops, how does that effect the pension? My understanding is that the 335 days rule is the important part. If the member's contract ends before they cross the 335 day threshold, then there is no impact. Is this correct?

Question for the pension experts out there... If a Class A reservist who is an annuitant takes a Class C contract for international ops, how does that effect the pension? My understanding is that the 335 days rule is the important part. If the member's contract ends before they cross the 335 day threshold, then there is no impact. Is this correct?
It doesn’t. Don’t breach 335 days of paid service in a rolling 365 day period and they are fine.

@ModlrMike Thanks for the timely question. I was looking at something similar if I took on a 3 year REO Class B but had the opportunity to deploy are the limits the same . CF MIL PERS INSTR 20/04 only had a small line under Class C that discussed taking the breaks over holidays and weekends which seemed unwieldy

Thanks for that

HT @SeaKingTacco

So then I infer that you "double dip" until the 335 threshold is met as well? Do you contribute to CFSA while on the Class C contract?

You should not be contributing unless re enrolled.

The Leg & Reg strictly interpreted require only one day, but there are valid policy and process rationales for the 30 day standard.

Accidentally exceeding 365 could be calamitous in terms of being re enrolled, resuming contributions, paying back pension received on day 365+, change from being a released Reg F in receipt of annuity to being a released Res F in receipt of an annuity...

"Oh, sorry, repay your annuity. You cannot work class A again while collecting your annuity once it resumes." If that is the outcome you want.

Reactions: MJP
Just arranging my deck chairs for after my command tour. There's a J4 Log job that looks promising.

Annuitant waivers are moving very slowly through VCDS. Make sure it's staffed well in advance of need.

Annuitant waivers are moving very slowly through VCDS. Make sure it's staffed well in advance of need.
Isn’t it the case that such a waiver would only be needed for a 12 month tour? As I understand it, an annuitant can do a 6 month tour without a waiver.

While I am on annuitant leave, do I need a leave pass to go out of the country?
Aren't I just a Class A SHAD at that point? Waiting on my next Class B to start of course!

If you mean the 30 day break so you don't accidentally go over and re-enrol for pension then no you don't need a leave pass.

Thanks!

Just to make sure.
I'm starting a 15 day break on the 16th of Feb and I am getting a Class B Contract on the 3rd of March. That contract will take me to July where I will that the remaining 20 days to avoid re-enrol. During the Feb break I'm going to the Caribbean for 7 days.

Don’t accidentally exceed 365…
Class C is normally service on an operation — there are sometimes reasons that a scheduled vacation doesn’t actually happen during an operation — from a ship being diverted to conduct an unforecasted task, to the airhead being closed all the way to the member becoming a casualty. Does the annuitant policy cover such scenarios or is the member potentially financially at risk due to operational reasons?

Class C is normally service on an operation — there are sometimes reasons that a scheduled vacation doesn’t actually happen during an operation — from a ship being diverted to conduct an unforecasted task, to the airhead being closed all the way to the member becoming a casualty. Does the annuitant policy cover such scenarios or is the member potentially financially at risk due to operational reasons?

Normally those are well planned around, to avoid an accidental re-enrolment. So, for example, a week off (unpaid) before a deployment to provide up to 364 days without interruption if absolutely necessary.

Thanks!

Just to make sure.
I'm starting a 15 day break on the 16th of Feb and I am getting a Class B Contract on the 3rd of March. That contract will take me to July where I will that the remaining 20 days to avoid re-enrol. During the Feb break I'm going to the Caribbean for 7 days.
I haven't figured out yet what the actual implications are if we miscalculate and work 331 days, but the legislation only requires one day off contract to avoid re-enrollment. But I'm more likely to take a longer break than a shorter one.

@dapaterson states above that there are policy and process rationales for the rest of the break, but no one has ever been able to tell me what they are and they aren't obvious. (To me, at least).

In part: if you make a mistake with a 35 day window it's easier to catch and correct than if you only have one day. Given HR and Pay process issues (including two non integrated pay systems that could pay a CAF reservist), and the relatively primitive information they generate for monitoring, current policy is conservative.

The CAF has taken an aggressive perspective on this compared to the PS, where the restrictions on "you're retired from the organization and still paid full time by them" are significantly greater.

Back