• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Annual C7 refresher in winter - dress question

Occam said:
-11, -20 with the wind chill...

IECS?  Doesn't sound familiar, is that the Army clothing family?  I think the AF gets ICE (Integrated Clothing Ensemble), which is what it says on all my nice warm-looking kit.  Could may well be the same stuff with a different tag, though...

CDN Aviator said:
Same stuff

Yes and a slight no,

IECS had the gortex material near the wearer while the ICE has it closer to the outside...... also IECS was Canadian Avenger Green....

Navalsnipr said:
You don't do Force Protection / Base Defence?

If are not issued it, then you would not require to wear it, but if it is on your scale of issue for your trade, then you should be wearing it.

It's not on the scale of issue for my trade, yet the vests were there at the range today, and would have been worn had we actually shot the weapons.  Temps were too low, and there was quite a bit of blowing snow about.  So we ended up doing the TOETs in the classroom.

So we actually did get the Air Force heated range after all!

Occam said:
Yes, that could be a problem.  Have to dig through what issued goodies I have...

Silk glove liners are a godsend. Super thin, and they add an extra layer of usable insulation. That and some pocket warmers. Keep them burning next to the lip balm you're always looking for when the RSM sees you with your hands in your pockets.

Occam said:
.  Temps were too low, and there was quite a bit of blowing snow about. 

Temps too low?  I was out shooting in -20C in early Jan.  Winnipeg's St-Charles range does not close - how's that for Air Force?

No such thing as Tac Vest on my scale of issue - hence not wearing one.  I shot the C7A2 because I wanted to make my APRV Green for once - only requirement for combat ready aircrew is 9mm.  I last shot the C7A1 on the range in 2005.

Navalsnipr said:
The CFOSP (B-GL-382-001/FP-001) does state the following:

27. Dress. Dress for weapons training and firing should reflect the standard of dress and equipment required by the firer on operational deployments during which the weapon will be employed. Exceptions to this rule will only be granted as a result of equipment availability (e.g. ballistic plates). This is essential as the equipment worn will effect the position adopted by the firer, and in turn, affect their ability to apply the principles that govern good shooting. Practices conducted under NBC conditions must be completed with the firer wearing at least the NBCD mask and some form of gloves.

Train as you fight??

So Tactical flying pants, T-shirt and a ball cap? oh man i think i am going to have book my training in the summer.

Actually since I came to the flying word i am quite surprised on how switched on and adamant the Air Force is about its quals. No 9mm no flying over seas, no yearly CPR, no flying for you, needles up to date sorry your grounded.  We may joke and be seem to be lax about a lot of stuff but we don't mess around when it comes to this sort of thing.

Zoomie said:
Temps too low?  I was out shooting in -20C in early Jan.  Winnipeg's St-Charles range does not close - how's that for Air Force?

Hey, I was ready to shoot;  but they don't tell me how to run a network, so I don't tell them how to run their range.  ;D

The Canadian military (of all things Canadian) decided to wait for a warmer day :( and only -20 of all temperatures...

As that random commercial that I can no longer remember what it belongs to says, "No self-respecting Canadian every says 'Let's wait for a warmer day'"

ballz said:
The Canadian military (of all things Canadian) decided to wait for a warmer day :( and only -20 of all temperatures...

As that random commercial that I can no longer remember what it belongs to says, "No self-respecting Canadian every says 'Let's wait for a warmer day'"

Since Shamrock's post (succinct as it was) got deleted, I'll address this.

I wasn't the Range Safety Officer that day, nor was I privy to the Range Standing Orders.  But when the instructor comes into the classroom and tells the class (including several four ringers) that Range Operations has closed the range, I don't believe anyone argued.  Do you have some additional information which might lead one to believe that the range shouldn't have been closed that day?

I trust that Connaught Range Ops knows their business, and that they don't close the range on a whim.

Little known factoid;  Most CF training policy is dictated by Molson Canadian and Tim Horton's commercials.

ballz said:

How about this then? Snow blowing in your face, visibility barely 100m, and when you try to open your disengaged eye, you have to pry it open with your free hand.

Jim Seggie said:
Snow blowing in your face, visibility barely 100m, and when you try to open your disengaged eye, you have to pry it open with your free hand.

"For all you do, this bud's for you."

a Sig Op said:
"For all you do, this bud's for you."

I really hope that you do not dare disparage the only "drinkable" beer available on the East Coast....(since Pilsner isn't readibly accessible).

And, my 2 cents on the OP....
You wanna wear the TacVest to hold mags?...great!
TacVest over your coat....gloves on hands...(I thought the CADPAT GoatSkin Gloves were tits for keeping warm "for work" (ie: shootin').
Between serials, get them mitts on.
Shoot the serials when "shootin'" weather permits.
It's a qual...not the end of the damn world.

As has been told to me many a time..."TOO EASY".

IMHO.

Occam said:
Since Shamrock's post (succinct as it was) got deleted, I'll address this.

I wasn't the Range Safety Officer that day, nor was I privy to the Range Standing Orders.  But when the instructor comes into the classroom and tells the class (including several four ringers) that Range Operations has closed the range, I don't believe anyone argued.  Do you have some additional information which might lead one to believe that the range shouldn't have been closed that day?

I trust that Connaught Range Ops knows their business, and that they don't close the range on a whim.

Jeez, the snow day froze your sense of humour, too? I am awfully glad that range did get shut down then.

Back