• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Annual C7 refresher in winter - dress question

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
So, I managed to successfully schedule every weapons requal for the last 20-odd years during the summer.

Until this year.

My question is this:  We Air Force types (and I presume the Army types as well!) have these wonderful warm CADPAT coveralls, parka & liner that have been in a storage box ever since they were issued.  Is there any point in wearing this stuff to the range during a frigid snap, if you can't get a tac vest (which they provide) over top of it?  Has anyone ever worn this stuff?  Will a tac vest fit over it?  I admit it would be nice to not freeze my butt off at the range, but if wearing the tac vest is mandatory then there's not much point in wearing the comfy stuff and I'll just wear the regular CADPAT coat and long underwear.

You Army guys can stop giggling at the zoomie now....  ;)

The Tac-Vest will fit over it, you have to loosen the straps in the back.

No requirement to wear the Tac-Vest - I just did the shoot earlier this year.

Yeah, I'd be wearing the warm stuff, especially to shoot from the prone. Like he said, just loosen the straps.

Then again, maybe the Air Force range is heated?

Rheostatic said:

They are. We also run them on 5-star resort properties. After the shoot, everyone gets a nice-weekend there to relax with bar and spa.

That's a relief that it will fit, but I'm hoping Zoomie is right and it isn't required.  Now if only the snow will hold off...I have a hard enough time putting rounds in the right direction as it is.  ;D

Thanks!

Rheostatic said:

I was hoping!  I don't want any unfortunate injuries that might hamper drinking curling this weekend!

Zoomie said:
No requirement to wear the Tac-Vest - I just did the shoot earlier this year.

The CFOSP (B-GL-382-001/FP-001) does state the following:

27. Dress. Dress for weapons training and firing should reflect the standard of dress and equipment required by the firer on operational deployments during which the weapon will be employed. Exceptions to this rule will only be granted as a result of equipment availability (e.g. ballistic plates). This is essential as the equipment worn will effect the position adopted by the firer, and in turn, affect their ability to apply the principles that govern good shooting. Practices conducted under NBC conditions must be completed with the firer wearing at least the NBCD mask and some form of gloves.

Train as you fight??

Yeah, that "No requirement to wear the TacVest" comment made my heart sad.

PuckChaser said:
Yeah, that "No requirement to wear the TacVest" comment made my heart sad.

Why ?

Navalsnipr said:
Train as you fight??

If i am using a C7 to shoot at something, it is because there is a big flaming wreck somewhere on the ground and i'm not sticking around to get caught. I dont get issued a tacvest and certainly dont fly with one so.......how would shooting on the range with a tacvest on be "train as i fight" ??

How cold are you expecting it to be?

For the most part, the IECS kit should be compatible with the TV, but I recall a time when we used the mag pouches in the parka as part of the winter fighting order.  You can also think about thermarests for shooting from the prone.

ʞɔoɹɯɐɥs said:
How cold are you expecting it to be?

For the most part, the IECS kit should be compatible with the TV, but I recall a time when we used the mag pouches in the parka as part of the winter fighting order.  You can also think about thermarests for shooting from the prone.

-11, -20 with the wind chill...

IECS?  Doesn't sound familiar, is that the Army clothing family?  I think the AF gets ICE (Integrated Clothing Ensemble), which is what it says on all my nice warm-looking kit.  Could may well be the same stuff with a different tag, though...

Occam said:
So, I managed to successfully schedule every weapons requal for the last 20-odd years during the summer.

Until this year.

Our range is closed every year from Nov until springtime.  Yep, more soft airforce types right here!  lol

CDN Aviator said:
Same stuff

There you go.  I'm going to be the warmest, brightest green bush at the range!  This stuff hasn't seen the light of day for maybe 8 years!  ;D

airmich said:
Our range is closed every year from Nov until springtime.  Yep, more soft airforce types right here!  lol

Frankly, I'm surprised Ottawa's is open now.  Then again, there's a lot of green here...

Good gloves.... the only kit the CF does not have for winter south of the treeline.

Yes, that could be a problem.  Have to dig through what issued goodies I have...

Trigger finger mitts.

Not that I think they're particularly effective, I just want to see someone use them once.

I have an excellent pair of fleece-lined neoprene gloves that I bought at the PX in Bagram.  ;D

CDN Aviator said:
If i am using a C7 to shoot at something, it is because there is a big flaming wreck somewhere on the ground and i'm not sticking around to get caught. I dont get issued a tacvest and certainly dont fly with one so.......how would shooting on the range with a tacvest on be "train as i fight" ??

You don't do Force Protection / Base Defence?

If are not issued it, then you would not require to wear it, but if it is on your scale of issue for your trade, then you should be wearing it.

Back