• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Announcing the Battle Procedure Aide Memoire for iPhone/iPad

Good stuff, Mike!  Great, handy reference.  :nod:

You can always add a "NB: This is a consolidation of information from official sources - in case of disagreement, the B-GL-300-001/FP-001 (LAND OPERATIONS) and B-GL-331-002/FP-001 (STAFF DUTIES FOR LAND OPERATIONS) shall take precedence." disclaimer for the picky people...  ;)

Thanks.

Cheers
G2G

Have you pushed version 1.1 yet?  I want to look at it before I start recommending it but with all the kids heading out to Gagetown and happy places for phase training this summer, this is very well timed.

Yep, 1.1 is already in the Apple approval queue... last time it took about a week, hopefully as a minor update this one will be faster.

Good call on the disclaimer G2G. :)

"But (insert course staff name here) my iphone said the rate of movement for a mounted patrol is 1km in 3 minutes, not 4 like you're teaching us!!"

Bzzliteyr said:
"But (insert course staff name here) my iphone said the rate of movement for a mounted patrol is 1km in 3 minutes, not 4 like you're teaching us!!"

This is a consolidation of information from official sources - in case of disagreement, the B-GL-300-001/FP-001 (LAND OPERATIONS) and B-GL-331-002/FP-001 (STAFF DUTIES FOR LAND OPERATIONS) shall take precedence

;D

Nice app Mike.

Now, if I can just convince 9Domestic that grocery shopping would go much simpler if she would use this.

Costco is like a battlefield most days  ;D

Wook

PuckChaser said:
Whats the difficulty level in coding for Android? I've got a lot of time to kill in Kabul...

I wish I knew something about coding - but if someone does end up producing an Android version, I'll happily download these apps, and pay a few bucks if asked. 

I didn't know the reports and returns were a 1.1 only thing.  I looked like a retard trying to show it to a guy who I convinced to download the app last night.  I don't have it so didn't know it wasn't included in 1.0.

bridges said:
I wish I knew something about coding - but if someone does end up producing an Android version, I'll happily download these apps, and pay a few bucks if asked.

I'm downloading all the required material for Android coding right now, its slow going, but should be done in a few days. I looked up some information, and I guess its fairly easy to code. Once I figure it out, I'll make an Android version with Mike's permission.

PuckChaser said:
I'm downloading all the required material for Android coding right now, its slow going, but should be done in a few days. I looked up some information, and I guess its fairly easy to code. Once I figure it out, I'll make an Android version with Mike's permission.

That's great news!  Thanks a lot, PuckChaser.    (You may have BB users lining up next too!)  :)

PuckChaser said:

That's great, and no need to ask my permission - it's a solid idea! :)

Let me know if there's some way I can assist.

Cheers
Mike

Once I get everything loaded and figured out, I'll send you a PM. Basically just need screenshots of the IPhone app (so I can make as close a copy as possible).

Mike Bobbitt said:
A sneak peek at 1.1:
I think its a great idea, however, not to be a "stick in the mud", will the CF ever adopt a wireless environment where IPads or similar tablets in the CP are the norm?
Or are we there already?

Another thought....don't let the Jimmies know about this......the IPad will be double the size and triple the weight, and all the features except e-mail will be disabled!!  ;)

Jim, when I was doing work up training for teh olympics, I had some of the other crew commanders in my troop install and enable the google latitude app which allowed us to see real time where the others were.  This helpe4d greatly during road moves from Montreal to Valcartier.

Jim officially I'm sure it will never fly, but unofficially it won't hurt to have it in your pocket for those times when you need a quick reference. It'll work over the cell network so you don't need to rely on any other infrastructure being in place.

Cheers
Mike

Wireless will start to get some traction, but its a difficult medium to use as we don't control the towers. The US is starting to hand out tablets and develop apps (I have their Dari language app for my tablet).

There are such a thing as secure wireless devices, but they're expensive because they need onboard crypto. If the cost goes down, you might see more and more of them.

Standby, 1.1 is going through the approval process right now.

Is the BB system not an encrypted system, thus would not their playbook be encrypted?

GAP said:
Is the BB system not an encrypted system, thus would not their playbook be encrypted?

BB traffic is encrypted using Triple DES or AES.  To be approved for classified traffic, they have to use Type 1 encryption, and there's only one device I'm aware of that's using that - SME PED.  Don't look for one anytime soon.

Back