• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

And you thought YOUR cubicle neighbour was bad ...

daftandbarmy said:
Now now... If the lack of personal hygiene were inversely proportional to international power - that explains the British Empire.

Come on Canada, we can make the world a better place with one bath a week, whether we need it or not, and bad teeth!

Or you could do what the French do and just shower in perfume and cologne.

What always amazes me is the absolute BS that so many PS workers get away with.....

One cubicle denizen near me kept measuring their desk and arguing that it was too small for a person with their PS classification. This same, and rather unstable person, started yelling one day 'why won't they listen to me, they have to listen to me.....I have accommodations....I have accommodations.'

Another one is so nasty and bitter that almost every other staff member has ostracized the person.

Apparently, both these twits submit grievances and harassment complaints on a regular basis. In the private sector, they'd have been turfed long ago.

Private sector can be equally petty.  I know one person who had windows in their work area papered over, since their level was too low to be entitled to windows.

And the military has plenty of barracks room lawyers who make civilian complainers look positively shining by comparison.

dapaterson said:
Private sector can be equally petty.  I know one person who had windows in their work area papered over, since their level was too low to be entitled to windows.
True - I've worked in family-owned businesses where the building maintenance staff wash the manager's truck (no, not the COMPANY vehicle with all the logos).

Staff Weenie said:
What always amazes me is the absolute BS that so many PS workers get away with.....

One cubicle denizen near me kept measuring their desk and arguing that it was too small for a person with their PS classification. This same, and rather unstable person, started yelling one day 'why won't they listen to me, they have to listen to me.....I have accommodations....I have accommodations.'

Another one is so nasty and bitter that almost every other staff member has ostracized the person.

Apparently, both these twits submit grievances and harassment complaints on a regular basis. In the private sector, they'd have been turfed long ago.

That is more of a management failure than a union one. Likely the union rep is sick to death of them as well. The senior management may kill a move to terminate an employee to avoid causing a “blemish” during their tenure.

dapaterson said:

And the military has plenty of barracks room lawyers who make civilian complainers look positively shining by comparison.

You mean like the guys on graveyard at the mill who take their pillows to work?

daftandbarmy said:
You mean like the guys on graveyard at the mill who take their pillows to work?

Hmm.  Sleep on shift at the mill, and you're a slacker.  If you're a hero, it means you sleep on shift at the fire hall.

dapaterson said:
Hmm.  Sleep on shift at the mill, and you're a slacker.  If you're a hero, it means you sleep on shift at the fire hall.

You just don't understand the stresses involved in running two businesses and three mistresses on the side, do you?

daftandbarmy said:
You just don't understand the stresses involved in running two businesses and three mistresses on the side, do you?

Frigging gold!

daftandbarmy said:

I thought it was just me that knew what the bucket boys do. ;)

No different to those that kiss their bosses arse in some way shape or form, hoping to get a better PER / favours.

Sucking up comes in different flavours, some just won't admit that is what their actions is intending to do.

milnews.ca said:
True - I've worked in family-owned businesses where the building maintenance staff wash the manager's truck (no, not the COMPANY vehicle with all the logos).

milnews.ca said:

Well, if it's a private company then the owner can pretty much require his staff to do whatever he likes, as long as it's legal and ethical.  He can include it in their job description.  Furthermore, in a case like this, although the vehicle may be for personal use, it's likely a "company" vehicle.  I've known many business owners whose personal and family vehicles are actually part of a company fleet.  There are tax advantages to doing this.

opcougar said:
No different to those that kiss their bosses arse in some way shape or form, hoping to get a better PER / favours.
No, this was not a "nice to do" or "I know you're busy, let me do that" - this was very much a "must do."

Pusser said:
... although the vehicle may be for personal use, it's likely a "company" vehicle.  I've known many business owners whose personal and family vehicles are actually part of a company fleet.  There are tax advantages to doing this.
I understand the tax advantages of a vehicle being part of the company's assets, but I also know the effect on morale when the owner of the company doesn't have maintenance staff wash a vehicle one never sees used for company business, but the GM (or even the kid) does

Same management philosophy where a boss once said, within earshot of 4-5 people (some with +15 years with the company), say, "yeah, we can't afford to keep really good people here."

From last month: Wow, just wow. Doesn't the Public Service have tests like the SJT (Situational Judgement Test) to weed out weirdos like this guy out?  :facepalm:

Canadian Press

Flatulent, foul-mouthed and barefoot: uncivil servant made co-worker ill
[The Canadian Press]
February 24, 2016

OTTAWA - A public service board has granted an Ottawa bureaucrat the right to work in a different building from a loud and flatulent co-worker who swore, uttered odd noises and even washed his bare feet with vinegar in the office.

Line Emond, a data quality manager at the Parole Board of Canada, has been granted the right to a new workplace in a decision by the Public Service Labour Relations and Employment Board.

Emond filed a grievance claiming that the behaviour of her co-worker, identified only as Mr. X, made her ill.

Mr. X arrived in Emond's office in the fall of 2009 and Emond took sick leave in August 2011 and was on disability leave until March 2013.

At one point, Mr. X filed a grievance against Emond, which was upheld in part.

Emond complained that her employer had failed to deal with her grievance properly.

Other workers testified about Mr. X's strange behaviour, including making "bizarre noises, such as strange yawns," walking around the office barefoot and washing his feet with vinegar in front of others "who found it disgusting."

(...SNIPPED)

S.M.A. said:
From last month: Wow, just wow. Doesn't the Public Service have tests like the SJT (Situational Judgement Test) to weed out weirdos like this guy out?

Little late to the party... ;)

Back