• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

An updated FN (photos]

xavier

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all:
A very interesting modification/ update of the FN. My only question is if the sliding buttstock would be able to cushion the 7,62's recoil?

xavier

I used to think love at first sight was sentimental BS, but I'm a believer now.

Wouldn't that put the hurt on someone,nice i want one. :mg:

Hi all:
I like the modernization. I'm still unsure about the M16/M4 sliding buttstock but that FN does look good. I wonder if it's a stanard 50,60 or a 50,63? In any case, it's a well thought out upate

xavier

Does the CF still have the FN in warehouses somewhere or did we scrap / sell them?

Is there a need for a larger round? IE A-stan  I thought I heard some americans are having second thoughts about the 5.56 in Iraq.

Britney:
I'm puzzled about the sliding buttstock's effectiveness. For example the 7,62 variants of the AR16 /M16 family- the SR 25 and the latest AR rifle don't have a sliding buttstock. The models I've seen all have the classical butt. So I'm just asking a naive question.

xavier

Britney:
Nope but I'm curious as to why the designer chose the m4/M16 sliding buttstock instead of either the classical or the side folding triangular butt.
xavier

Because it slides back and forth, of course! Why do you think the C7A2s have an adjustable buttstock?

xavier,
you're aware that the sliding buttstock locks in place, are you not? Once it does, it functions like any other.

The buffer spring is still in the stock, yes.

edit: that is, for the c8 style/c7a2 style telescoping buttstock. rifles with a folding stock have a different buffer assembly.

Paracowboy:
No I wasn't aware that the sliding buttstock locked in place. I though it would 'stick'/stay in place with (unseen) little bumps in the slide that's attached to the tube and the pin near the buttplate would act as a moveable 'brake'.  How does the sliding butt lock?

Thanks again!

xavier

xavier said:
How does the sliding butt lock?
with a locking mechanism.

;D
Little lever on the bottom of the buttt. You can see it most clearly in the first picture.

Paracowboy:
Thanks Is it that triangular shaped like thingie under the buttstock? :D  I thought it was simply a reinforcement piece for the shoulder piece. Well I just learnt something new ;D

Thanks again!

xavier

Not trying to insult your intelligence here, but come on, if you've never actually seen the damn thing in person and have no idea how it works, just say so.

When the rifle is firing the stock stays fixed. It doesn't go back and forth like a piston, if that's what you were thinking. So no, there isn't any difference in the operation of the buttstock regardless of which weapon it is attached to. Semi-Automatic rifles operate by means of a buffer spring that stores energy from the last round to cycle the action and load/chamber/fire the next round. On the M16 FOW it is inside the stock. On the FN FAL and most other piston operated rifles, this buffer spring is located in the receiver on the piston above the bolt carrier, so there is nothing in the buttstock, and that is the reason why FNs and Kalashnikovs sometimes have folding stocks while M-16 FOWs cannot.  In the case of your particular type of rifle, the buttstock would obviously be "empty" and not have a buffer spring.

Some of my specifics might be a bit off as my personal experience with the C1/C2 is limited (well, non-existant, really, I can take it apart but that's about it.). Grumpy old men feel free to correct me.

Exploded diagram of FN FAL rifle
Training video explaining operation of M16 rifle

This is the usual folding stock that comes with the FN FAL FOW.
DSAInc.jpg

Back