• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

an idea to get the Liberal's to support the CF

onecat

Inactive
Reaction score
The debate over missles defence has got me thinking the Liberal party and their total lack of respect and understanding of Defence.  What will it take to get the PM and Liberal party to fund the CF... and then it hit me.  If the US told Canada that starting in say 2006, they will stop funding our defence, it just might get them to listen.  NO linked training, no support to get our peacekeeper to the OP.  No naval team work, no air defence and no US fly overs.  Maybe after the fall out from that, it just might get the Liberals or maybe get Canadians look at the Liberals and stop voting them.  NOt sure if it would work or even the US could really support it as it would leave their Northern border almost defenceless.

"And we would get the US Govt to do all of this...how?"

not sure how you get US gov't support for this; apart from the fact it its in their interest to get real defence spending in this country.  And teh republians are getting sick of the typical Liberal defence budget.

ask nicely....

In my wildest dreams i cant see the US ever saying that no matter how much I would love to hear it, because your exactly right the Liberals might take their heads out of their counterproductive @sses and begin a large funding of the forces.

The liberals and majority don't care about the military because it represents to them = the warrior spirit = which is one of the main causes of war. They believe by destroying the military, they will be eliminating war.   I doubt they will ever get behind any policy that has the least bit of resemblance to warfare.

CFN. Orange said:
ask nicely....

In my wildest dreams i cant see the US ever saying that no matter how much I would love to hear it, because your exactly right the Liberals might take their heads out of their counterproductive @sses and begin a large funding of the forces.

I think it already happened: Bush hinted at the pressure and we can see how the Liberal Party of Canada squeals.

This from the Globe and Mail â “ http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050124.wlibs0124/BNStory/Front/   emphasis added

Liberals gear up for missile defence debate

Canadian Press

Fredericton â ” Reports of U.S. arm-twisting over the missile-defence project have ignited passions within a Liberal government gearing up for a debate on whether Canada should join.

One Liberal opposed to the plan summed up the feelings of like-minded MPs in the Liberal caucus, which is gathering this week for its annual winter retreat amid reports U.S. President George W. Bush scolded Prime Minister Paul Martin for his slowness in signing on.

"They should mind their own damned business," said an Ontario MP, who asked not to be identified.

The MP said he was especially irked by Bush's intervention in a domestic debate because most observers feel Canadian backing is already a fait accompli.

"We're going to be moving in that direction anyway," he said.

"Besides, if they (Americans) ever need to use our airspace to defend themselves â ” whether we join or not â ” do you think they will hesitate?"

A Liberal proponent of missile defence agreed it doesn't make much of a difference whether Canada gives its blessing to the project, which will install missile interceptors in Alaska and California.

The U.S. got all it needed last summer, he said, when both countries amended NORAD and placed the cross-border agency in charge of monitoring the missile system.

"Missile defence was a done deal with the NORAD amendment," said the Quebec MP. "Just its opponents and the media are still making it an issue."

Those opponents are expected to raise their objections during the party's three-day meeting in Fredericton, which begins Tuesday.

Another apparent fait accompli â ” same-sex marriage â ” will also come under fire from opponents within the Liberal caucus.

As the government plans to move swiftly with legislation permitting gay and lesbian weddings, dissidents will use the caucus retreat as a last-ditch effort to have Martin back down.

They hope the prime minister will allow all MPs â ” including his cabinet â ” a free vote on the issue.

Martin has repeatedly said he expects his ministers to toe the government line. Last week he added he would rather call a snap election than use the Constitution's notwithstanding clause to halt gay marriage.

The missile-defence debate was stoked over the weekend when the Washington Post newspaper said Bush chided Martin over the issue behind closed doors during a recent meeting in Ottawa.

The newspaper quoted an unidentified Canadian official who was in the room as saying Bush waved off attempts to explain how contentious the issue is for Martin's minority government.

"(Bush) leaned across the table and said: 'I'm not taking this position, but some future president is going to say, Why are we paying to defend Canada?'," the official was quoted as saying.

"Most of our side was trying to explain the politics, how it was difficult to do," he said.

But Bush "waved his hands and remarked: 'I don't understand this. Are you saying that if you got up and said this is necessary for the defence of Canada, it wouldn't be accepted?'-"

In addition to the hot-button issues, Liberals will spend this week pressing the government with their own spending priorities for the coming federal budget.

They also vote Wednesday to select a resolution the caucus team will submit for debate at the party's March policy convention. But the Liberal caucus chair conceded those items may take a back seat to more pressing issues.

"Marriage, missiles and mad cow," said New Brunswick MP Andy Savoy. "It's the triple-m meeting."

Back