• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

American, SAfrican dog handlers build rock mural to honour Canadian troops

Bigmac

Inactive
Reaction score
MURRAY BREWSTER

MA'SUM GHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - Taking and holding the area around Ma'sum Ghar last fall cost Canadians the lives of five soldiers and that sacrifice is now etched into this dusty, ragged hillside by - of all people - American and South African dog handlers.

A huge red-and-white rock mural of the Canadian flag has been carefully laid out on slope leading to a hilltop observation post at this bustling forward base. Running along the bottom of the flag are a series of whitewashed boulders, representing the soldiers who died here.

For Van Thames of AM-K9 Protection, erecting the symbol and the memorial was a way to say thank you to Canadians who have kept him and his team safe and comfortable.

Working on the project in his spare time, Thames had no idea how much the gesture would mean to members of Alpha and Charles Companies of the 1st Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment, who have endured months of bitter, desperate fighting with Taliban militants.
http://www.recorder.ca/cp/World/070209/w020918A.html

Great story! Kudos to the dog handlers for acknowledging our troops sacrifices!  :salute: :cdn:

Gestures like that are rare and even more so to be treasured.

This rock mural comes from the best place THE HEART! Thanks for posting this  :salute: :salute:

Fly shit and pepper I know but that should read "members of Alpha and Charles Companies of the Second Battalion PPCLI and 1st Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment respectively.

Van is absolutely top notch and if there is any way to tell his employers that I would like do.  Besides the mural these guys went above and beyond there required duties.  Bravo Zulu to them.

To add the memorial honours ALL those that have died during TF 3-06 as seen on the white rocks at the bottom of the memorial.  If I can find a better pic I will.  Absolutely awesome job.

{standing}    :salute:
Outstanding Tribute.

No tribute is so high as given by fellow brothers from another country.

To the dog handlers and their eloquence... BZ

Chimo!

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/World/2007/02/09/3569330.html

gotta love seeing that maple ...... it never ceases to make me proud.

That is one smart dog who came up with the idea. I wonder how he convinced his handler to do the work. Humor aside, echoing others "Fantastic"

Hubby called today from KAF (it's our son's 11th birthday!!), anyway..I told him about the mural..he hadn't heard about it yet. I mentioned the memorial to the 5 guys (his company mates and Shane), and he seemed very impressed. I'm not sure if he will get back out to MG to see this, but such a wonderful gesture!! :salute: :cdn:

I"m sure all from Charles and Alpha Coys will be very humbled by this.

Amazing tribute to our brothers & sisters serving in Afghanistan.

I have a question are the South African & American dog handlers military or civilian?

I have a friend who is a dog handler for the Regina city police, that trains them for drug/bomb sniffing and defense work
and I know he would be interested in this story.

Civilian.  Must have a lot of dog experience prior.  Whether that's police or military etc.  They do carry 9mm for the dogs protection.

Back