• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I too old, fat, or fit in? 2001 to 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would do some reading on these forums before going through with your decision.

At 36 you'll be treated somewhat better than an 18 year old but once you get to a battalion you'll be hit with some pretty monotonous and shitty jobs that may be a big step down from what you're used to.  Filling up jerry cans of water, lighting lanterns, sweeping and mopping concrete floors, lots of menial stuff.

I can't say for certain but I'm thinking you may get passed up for some of the cool courses (sniper, pathfinder, recce) because your unit may not feel they will get a big return on a 38 or 40 year old basic sniper. (could be wrong).

Usually when older guys come to the infantry they leave jobs like mcdonalds employee or grocery store clerk, less so a professional one like firefighter.

I'm not trying to dissuade you (that much) just check the forums out and see what the life of an infantry private and corporal is like.

Jarnhamar said:
Usually when older guys come to the infantry they leave jobs like mcdonalds employee or grocery store clerk, less so a professional one like firefighter.

It sounds like he is a volunteer. Volunteer firefighters are sometimes referred to as paid-on-call firefighters due to some compensation they receive.

At any rate, he only made the one post and was "Last Active: September 26, 2015".

In the combat arms where 35 is too old to be considered for CO or RSM, you will be extremely limited for promotion also.

recceguy said:
In the combat arms where 35 is too old to be considered for CO or RSM, you will be extremely limited for promotion also.

Why do you say 35 years old is too old to be RSM or CO?  Every RSM I know right now is older than 35.

dangerboy said:
Why do you say 35 years old is too old to be RSM or CO?  Every RSM I know right now is older than 35.

He is saying to make it up to that rank before one "ages" out.

dangerboy said:

And the ones who are destined for senior appointments are probably in their early to mid 40's right now.

Succession planning for CWO (RSM) is based on CRA 55.  DSA looks at you and counts backwards from 55 to 36 to calculate if you have the "legs" for a command, key or senior appointment.  The OP clearly doesn't have enough birthdays left to be promoted to CWO by 52.  He'll never be in the succession plan and, ergo, will be passed over for promotions, cool courses, career courses and "tick in the box" jobs more often than not.

dangerboy said:

It's what we were told by the Corps RSM when we were the senior course at the school. They want you to give them more after you've done your Unit command time. If you're going to age out after that command, they won't consider you any more. Like MJP said.

Saw this in Ask a CAF Recruiter.

Adding it here for future reference,

Max enrolment age.
"I am 57 years old, served 5 years in the infantry '74-79. Attained rank of Cpl., completed overseas tour and so on. Question is, "Am I able to re enlist at his age. I am set on returning to the infantry if at all possible?" Be honest, lets not waste anyone's time. I can pass the physical (running would be tight)."
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/116713.0.html

Bro;

Your never too old to join period. It even States it on the forces site. Besides 30 is the new 20. I'm 32 and looking to join the reserves, as infantry. I say go for it.

Best of luck.

BCPatroit83 said:
Bro;

Your never too old to join period. It even States it on the forces site. Besides 30 is the new 20. I'm 32 and looking to join the reserves, as infantry. I say go for it.

Best of luck.

You need to able to finish your initial contract before mandatory retirement. Depending on your trade choice, the initial contract varies. Recruiting is your best bet for an answer as to whether a particular individual is too old.

I am 39 and just finished BMQ there is also a guy that is 42 in my class. there are challenges of course at a later age but we also have a few more tools in the toolbox to draw on as well. don't let your age be the reason you don't do it.

I will be 54 in feb 2017 , i have always respected our military history and the people who now serve. I did once apply in my 20s but was refused because of some legal issues that have long been taken care of, this has alway been in the back of my mind and i am now seriously considering joining the reserves. I am self employed in a trade that keeps me moving all day, not sitting at a desk so I am relatively in shape, I do get the achy muscules that age brings but I would have no problem with the physical requirements. Does anyone here have any insights to older people in a seemingly younger persons domain, i would join a Montreal reserve unit and amoured soldier is of interest. Am I kidding myself by thinking I could get into that trade? If not what would training be like and how often would I be away from home? I would consider other trades but something about driving heavy duty vehicules with fire power appeals to me. Obviously im not looking for a long term career even if I wanted it and not looking for lots of money, i just want to serve my country in a way I have always admired and have some adventures also. Any info, insights , or personal stories would be appreciated. Thanks

gnm62 said:
Does anyone here have any insights to older people in a seemingly younger persons domain,

For reference, perhaps,

Almost 54 yrs old

will be merged with,

Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/207.0
11 pages.

gnm62 said:
how often would I be away from home?

Away from home - Reserves
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22away+from+home%22+reserves&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=TbMjWPWUG8WC8QeLh4fYBg&gws_rd=ssl

gnm62 said:
what would training be like

Reserve training
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+reserve+traing&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=5bMjWPvILsWC8QeLh4fYBg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+reserve+training

gnm62 said:
driving heavy duty vehicules with fire power appeals to me.

Not sure how much of that you will be doing in the Reserve, but you can read about it here,

Armour Reserve
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+reserve+traing&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=5bMjWPvILsWC8QeLh4fYBg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+reserve+armour

Well, if I can do it at age 43, I think u can too lol. U a youngster yet!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

tracie_anderson said:
Well, if I can do it at age 43, I think u can too lol. U a youngster yet!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

How do you find being a 43 year old private in the reserves?  What have you found to be some of the negative aspects of it?

Jarnhamar said:
How do you find being a 43 year old private in the reserves?  What have you found to be some of the negative aspects of it?

She's not in, according to her past posts she's only recently applied.  Her profile claiming to be a Private in the Reserves is BS.

LightFighter said:
Her profile claiming to be a Private in the Reserves is BS.

Or, maybe it was a simple error from an applicant?

mariomike said:
Or, maybe it was a simple error from an applicant?

Suggesting someone "can do it because they have"  suggests to me that they went through the training system.

"Well,  if I can do it at age 43, I think u can too lol."

Suggests to me that she thinks she can join/do well/fit in.

Wouldn't be the first time I have read Applicants confusing themselves with Recruits.

eg: There is Recruits Only forum. But, I suspect many of the posters are Applicants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back