• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I too old, fat, or fit in? 2001 to 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Here's one more note of encouragement for those who are considering the Forces later in life: just finished PRes BMOQ (weekends) and BMOQ Mod 2 at the ripe old age of 48.  No prior military experience, sporadically athletic.  Not the easiest thing I have done in 48 years on this planet... but nothing rewarding is ever easy.

Many thanks to the regular contributors on this board for their guidance and advice -- I never would have made it without milnet.  I would encourage all who read this to consider a membership to 'help keep the lights on'.

Regards,

Mike

After reading this thread I feel like such an a** I'm about to turn 23 I had to go to the recruitment center to book my CFAT and I felt old around all these high school kids.  I have a ton of respect for anyone who want to join the CF and the fact that you guys are want to do it later in life when most people are just content to go on doing some thing they hate just cause it safe and in the box I give that much more , Best of luck and once again a ton of respect.

All,

Well, I have taken the plunge. After many years of making excuses and coming up with reasons why I couldn't apply for the Reg Force this month I have decided that it's time to put the excuses behind me and (at 41) jump in both feet to live a life-long dream of serving this great country at the highest level of service one can undertake.

Obviously, this thread has been very interesting to me reading the various thoughts and opinions about embarking on a CF career mid-life. The consensus here seems to be that age is not a barrier to service and that it is very possible to serve and serve well in the 'second half' of your working life.

My 3 trade choices are ACISS, Comm Rsch, and Supply Tech. I would be very interested in hearing from those in the ACISS trade in regards to their thoughts about the demands of that trade (being a 'first in/last out' kind of trade) on someone 40+. It was my first choice, because I have many years of radio/telecommunications/hi-tech experience but I would be interested in hearing directly from those in the ACISS trade. Feel free to PM if you would like.

I passed my CFAT in 2002 when I had previously applied (yes, I was shocked to find out that a 12 year old test result is still in the CF system... I guess they hang on to paperwork for a very long time!  :nod:) and last week passed my personality test and have qualified for my trade choices, now my file has been sent to Ottawa for selection. Now I wait for the call back for my interview/medical. Oh well, I've waited this long for a career in the CF, I guess I can wait a little longer.

Again, thanks to all who have posted in this thread. I have appreciated your candor and opinions about what you think of us 'old guys' starting a career in the CF. If I get to BMQ, I fully expect to get razzed about my age... and I fully expect to be in the best shape of my life so I can kick some younger guy's a**  ;)

Cheers and good luck to all!  :salute:

Schindler's Lift said:
I concur totally with what the others have had to say and I couldn't say it any better.  I will add one more bit of info for you to consider.  As someone joining at 43 you will not be able to build any sort of pension because you don't have the possibility of putting in the required 25 years.  In fact, you will be able to serve less then 20 until you hit the best case scenario of working till 60.  For many, age, aches, pains, family considerations and other factors arise causing us to look at releasing (retiring with a pension if possible) well before age 60. 

I'd personally recommend you consider another trade that will give you some sort of skill set you can use in the civilian sector.  In that way, when you look to release or should you have to release you will be able to transition into an effective civilian position to be able to support yourself and/or family.

Cant the CDS or the GG grant permission to serve past CRA??
I Was fairly certain I had read that somewhere, it didnt apply to me. Im just killing time reading these threads. You can get a penalized pension as well, I forget what the rate is though.

upandatom said:
I Was fairly certain I had read that somewhere, it didnt apply to me. Im just killing time reading these threads. You can get a penalized pension as well, I forget what the rate is though.

Sorry, upandatom.

Once you finally get through the Recruiting process and finish your training, you will have heard about and informed on "Universality of Service" and the exemptions thereof that the Canadian Armed Forces have under the Charter of Rights.  Until such time that you understand these facts, please stay "in your lanes".

upandatom said:

That would directly contradict the literal definition of the word "compulsory".  If they, or anyone could waive it, it would simply be known as the "Retirement Age"

Once again, emphasis on the "??"

I did not say it was a fact by any means, and it was a simple question.

"I was fairly certain" does not indicate fact, I thought I might have read/heard about it or something along those lines.

Thank you for the clarification.

upandatom said:
Once again, emphasis on the "??"

I did not say it was a fact by any means, and it was a simple question.

"I was fairly certain" does not indicate fact, I thought I might have read/heard about it or something along those lines.

Thank you for the clarification.

I too am just an applicant, but I think I remember reading something about how while most NCM and Officers can only go until 60, CIC can remain until they are 65. I don't have any idea if that is true or not though or if it is, can you use it as a clever way to extend your service so that you can qualify for pension if you join post age 35 (I kind of hope that is not possible though as I would rather all CIC members are doing it for the young adults, not the pension).

Yep, 55.
Officially I know someone can enroll, but realistically does anyone get accepted into reserves at around this age, and if they do are they successful?

This isn't about me, I served a long time ago and unsuccessfully tried to reenlist some years back at the peak of our mission in Afghanistan. It's about a friend who is my age, 55, who had no idea until recently he could enlist at his age. It's been something he always regretted not doing. He's very excited about the possibility of reserve service. He is clear that combat arms is more a young person's game, but maybe Log O or MSE Op or similar he could do well. I advised him to go talk to a few people at some units and the local CFRC. He's afraid he'll get laughed out of the recruiting office but he's determined to try.

That said, I'm curious about his chances too. He is 55 in better shape them most our age.

x-grunt said:
Yep, 55.
Officially I know someone can enroll, but realistically does anyone get accepted into reserves at around this age, and if they do are they successful?

This isn't about me, I served a long time ago and unsuccessfully tried to reenlist some years back at the peak of our mission in Afghanistan. It's about a friend who is my age, 55, who had no idea until recently he could enlist at his age. It's been something he always regretted not doing. He's very excited about the possibility of reserve service. He is clear that combat arms is more a young person's game, but maybe Log O or MSE Op or similar he could do well. I advised him to go talk to a few people at some units and the local CFRC. He's afraid he'll get laughed out of the recruiting office but he's determined to try.

That said, I'm curious about his chances too. He is 55 in better shape them most our age.

We have a whole topic dedicated to just this question: "Am I too old to join?"

55 is basically the cut off for joining the Reserves.  CRA is 60 and it doesn't matter how fit or good your health is, you are done.

Criteria that affect one joining at a late age are:

1.  Are there any positions open in a Reserve unit;

2.  Can the member complete all of Basic within a one to two year timeframe; and

3.  Can the member then complete Trades trg within a year.

Joining as an officer would mean that their combined Basic and Trades trg will take a much longer time, and be dependent in some cases on whether or not crses are being run.  Joining as a NCM would meet the above criteria, and give the member approx two years service as a trained Reservist.  For the most part, Reserve units are Cbt Arms, which would also allow the member to meet the criteria.  If the member wants to get into a Specialized Trade, the trg may take longer, more than five years, and likely be cause to reject their application.  Officer positions are more rare than NCM positions.  Many Reserve units have waiting lists, due to Recruiting policies, and can not recruit over their allotted positions.

George Wallace said:
We have a whole topic dedicated to just this question: "Am I too old to join?"

55 is basically the cut off for joining the Reserves.  CRA is 60 and it doesn't matter how fit or good your health is, you are done.

Criteria that affect one joining at a late age are:

1.  Are there any positions open in a Reserve unit;

2.  Can the member complete all of Basic within a one to two year timeframe; and

3.  Can the member then complete Trades trg within a year.

Joining as an officer would mean that their combined Basic and Trades trg will take a much longer time, and be dependent in some cases on whether or not crses are being run.  Joining as a NCM would meet the above criteria, and give the member approx two years service as a trained Reservist.  For the most part, Reserve units are Cbt Arms, which would also allow the member to meet the criteria.  If the member wants to get into a Specialized Trade, the trg may take longer, more than five years, and likely be cause to reject their application.  Officer positions are more rare than NCM positions.  Many Reserve units have waiting lists, due to Recruiting policies, and can not recruit over their allotted positions.

Thanks for the quick and thorough response, and for merging the thread. The good points you make are the reason I'm curious if anyone actually does get accepted or, more importantly perhaps, actually add value with his or her service at this age. I wish him well with his  attempt.

Hi beautiful people,

I just wanted to say right off the bat that, in my silent stalking, this awesome site has indirectly answered lot of my questions. I was thinking of joining the army full time and have now set a date in the not so distant future to enroll. I want to be in good shape first as to not waste anyone's time and also to hit the ground running.

After talking it over with wifey, and by talking I mean begging, and addressing her concerns since I am at the ripe old age of 33, I realized I also have some questions and I am hoping that you fine people could help me. Actually I guess, it's one question really...and the answer will not change my dedication towards my goal but it's always good to check if an umbrella is needed or not, right?

Are there any glass ceilings or is the sky the limit in terms of choosing this vocation? :salute:

I know that I can continue my studies if I want and I also have a vague idea about specializations but generally is there potential for growth or will I be stuck with people complaining about advancing only so far in their careers?

I am asking this only because I have worked in office environments for basically my whole life yet I have never moved up but I am quite a good sociable worker but I suck at sucking up and I intend to keep it that way till the day I meet my maker.   

This being my first post and all, I do apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong spot.

Comedian said:
I just wanted to say right off the bat that, in my silent stalking, this awesome site has indirectly answered lot of my questions. I was thinking of joining the army full time and have now set a date in the not so distant future to enroll. I want to be in good shape first as to not waste anyone's time and also to hit the ground running.

After talking it over with wifey, and by talking I mean begging, and addressing her concerns since I am at the ripe old age of 33, I realized I also have some questions and I am hoping that you fine people could help me. Actually I guess, it's one question really...and the answer will not change my dedication towards my goal but it's always good to check if an umbrella is needed or not, right?

Are there any glass ceilings or is the sky the limit in terms of choosing this vocation? :salute:

I know that I can continue my studies if I want and I also have a vague idea about specializations but generally is there potential for growth or will I be stuck with people complaining about advancing only so far in their careers?

I am asking this only because I have worked in office environments for basically my whole life yet I have never moved up but I am quite a good sociable worker but I suck at sucking up and I intend to keep it that way till the day I meet my maker.   

This being my first post and all, I do apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong spot.

There are no glass ceilings and the sky is the limit.

Mature applicants, in some instances, will advance quicker because they have more life experience than the younger generation and understand what is expected of them.  They don't just go and do their assigned job and leave it at that, they go and do it really well and thus, reap the rewards.

Go ahead and apply........

I had a guy in his 40's on my basic, he didn't have a problem.
I had a girl in her 40's on my SQ she didn't have a problem.
I had a guy in his 50's on my Dp 1 he didn't have a problem.
I had guys in their late 40's on my Driver Wheel they didn't have a problem.

Infact all of these candidates could do the PT better than people my age own age or younger. 

Defintely apply!

Let me throw some cold water on your ambitions.

Firstly DAA is absolutely right in that there are no glass ceilings, per se, and that mature applicants do bring more to the table.

That said, you don't give us much information on what type of a career you are looking for or what you are bringing in the way of job experience; there's a big difference in joining the infantry or a support trade.

I see trouble on your horizon. The fact that you have to "beg" with "wifey" doesn't bode well. Do you have children? Does she have a job? Do you currently have a job and what is your present joint income? Why is she so opposed to this? Coming in at 33 is difficult enough without dragging a reluctant spouse (and perhaps children) with you. From the way you are speaking I'm left with the impression (whether right or wrong) that you are somewhat selfishly dismissing her objections in order to meet some personal goals rather than family ones.

While there is no "glass ceiling" there is the reality that you are entering the profession some fifteen years behind your peers. Think about the fact that in the CF one can qualify for a pension at twenty years. Time has no pity. You will always be older than your peers and, for much (if not all) of your career, will be led by individuals who are significantly younger than you. I ordinarily wouldn't mention that but you have indicated that you do not do well "sucking up", have never "moved up" within your current career, and do you want to be "stuck with people complaining about advancing only so far in their careers".

In my humble opinion, you need to do a rethink about just what it is that motivates your desire to join the army over your wife's objections. On top of that, if you are still serious and want some more educated answers to your basic question then tell us a bit more about what background education and work experience you have and what particular branch or component of the army it is that you wish to join.

:cheers:

When it comes to advancement...you'll rise to the level of your own competence (or some may say incompetence).  You'll get out of your career what you put into it.

To elaborate a bit on what FJAG was hitting at (and it will be slightly different depending on what trade, etc):

In general there are no glass ceilings - what is a limit however is a requirement for you to demonstrate skills in a particular rank/position before you progress to the next.  Someone who enrols at age 20 will have more opportunities (by virtue of having more time to demonstrate them, learn skills, etc) to move higher up the ranks then someone who enrols at 35.  However, if the 35 year old is more competent and demonstrates the required skills better then his peers he will be selected over them for promotion/higher position.

I describe it like a checklist - once you accomplish what is required at a particular level you get compared to your peers who have done the same - and the best are chosen to progress.  Having less time means exactly that - you'll have to be better, in a shorter period of time, then your peers to be in the same spot when you both retire.  If your ambition is to be the CDS or Chief of the Army, your age likely will factor into being unable to complete the required checklist in time (even if you are truly exceptional) - but you won't be pinned into a rank/position simply because you happen to be older then your peers.

FJAG said:
Let me throw some cold water on your ambitions.

Firstly DAA is absolutely right in that there are no glass ceilings, per se, and that mature applicants do bring more to the table.

That said, you don't give us much information on what type of a career you are looking for or what you are bringing in the way of job experience; there's a big difference in joining the infantry or a support trade.

I see trouble on your horizon. The fact that you have to "beg" with "wifey" doesn't bode well. Do you have children? Does she have a job? Do you currently have a job and what is your present joint income? Why is she so opposed to this? Coming in at 33 is difficult enough without dragging a reluctant spouse (and perhaps children) with you. From the way you are speaking I'm left with the impression (whether right or wrong) that you are somewhat selfishly dismissing her objections in order to meet some personal goals rather than family ones.

While there is no "glass ceiling" there is the reality that you are entering the profession some fifteen years behind your peers. Think about the fact that in the CF one can qualify for a pension at twenty-five
years (or CRA, effective 2007). Time has no pity. You will always be older than your peers and, for much (if not all) of your career, will be led by individuals who are significantly younger than you. I ordinarily wouldn't mention that but you have indicated that you do not do well "sucking up", have never "moved up" within your current career, and do you want to be "stuck with people complaining about advancing only so far in their careers".

In my humble opinion, you need to do a rethink about just what it is that motivates your desire to join the army over your wife's objections. On top of that, if you are still serious and want some more educated answers to your basic question then tell us a bit more about what background education and work experience you have and what particular branch or component of the army it is that you wish to join.

:cheers:

Great post, FTFY on one point.

Wow, thank you all for the input and a special props to FJAG for the cold water.

Ha ha, I will be the first to admit that my spouse can be a handful but she is definitely an alpha in terms of managing the house. She works as a nurse and is the fearless bossy independent type. Now I am not saying I am a push over but there is no wrong in acknowledging a powerful woman, it's rather good on my health actually.

She is mainly reluctant because she thinks I should dedicate my life to being a lawyer, politician, writer, or some other white collar job. We have 3 children, a 16 year old boy and 2 little girls but honestly sometimes I feel like I have 3 daughters :p.

As a 1st generation Canadian, I have always felt the need to show my love and dedication for my country but life always seemed to get in the way. I want to represent my country. :cdn:

I must admit that this is a personal goal I have had for years and though I have been able to repress it for a while, that all changed last year when my son, now 16, decided that he wants to enlist after high school. Wifey was not thrilled but I had nothing to do with the boy's ambition. So in somewhat of an ironic twist, I guess my personal goal has family interest splinters.

My "expertises", I would say is mainly the ability to communicate, learn fast, and teach others.

Obviously all of this is work related experiences from various call centers dealing with hostile clients, language barriers, turning no into yes, and of course selling.

I was also in the high school swim team and I love it to this day.

And in closing...I am also a Sagittarius. :snowman:

In all seriousness though, thank you all for your valuable input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back