• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I going to starve in St Jean???

DrSize

Inactive
Reaction score
I accepted a position as DEO Infantry officer and will be going to St Jean for the Sept 12th IAP/BOTP and then SLT.......My concern is I am 6'3 275lbs(really muscular athletic build) ......Naturally I eat alot, so what is the food like there, is it buffet style or are you only allowed one meal at breakfast lunch and dinner???  I normally eat 6-8 times a day, I am worried because the hunger pains hurt!!! I am ok with losing some muscle, that is to be expected (muscle memory is a great thing) .... just worried about the hunger pains driving me insane

DrSize, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You are allowed as much food as you can eat in your allotted time. So that means if you can get through the lunch line 3 times, you can have 3 helpings at lunch. The food isn't too bad, just watch out for the pizza...

My friend was allowed to bring and use his protein powders while there since he is a bodybuilder. He still lost about 6 lbs but it's better than the alternative.

I lost 20 Lbs. on IAP - I went from 180/185 to 167. There's plenty to eat, it's more a matter of whether you have enough time to eat. 15 minutes to get through the line and eat lunch only allows for one pass so stack your tray as much as possible and don't forget to stay away from the milk at breakfast and lunch.

Thanks for the feedback.....thats cool it is unlimited...thats what I was hoping to hear.  I'll just load my tray up like crazy so I only have to go up once....I'll bring some shakes for night when I can't get food either....I figure I'll go in around 265lbs in Sept and when I am done in Dec I'll weight about 235ish..haha

I am really looking forward to it, just wish I didn't have to wait until Sept!!

The instructors normally take any suppliments and vitamans as soon as you get to the base.

Because, if it is hot outside and you have a drill class after breakfast or lunch you might get sick after it curdles i your stomach

Hey that unlimited food thing might be true for officers but not for NCM's, you go through a line and pick what you want  but there are crusty old b*stards who give you like two strips of bacon for breakfast and will not give you any more unless you go through again. I know because I have the same big guy problem.  So you might get 2500 cals a day which is good if your 165.bs do massive amounts of work but when your 285lbs and you need 3000 cals on a regular day...well I bet you get the idea Dr Size. They will take supplements etc away...if they know you have it, you do have a personal box. Just an opinion

It also helps if you're a fast eater. On my basic (reserve, but basically same idea here) I always ended up throwing alot of my food away cause I didn't have enough time to finish it. If you can pile up the food and shove it down your throat in the alloted time, all the power to ya.

BTW, I'm a pretty average-sized female and I lost over 10 pounds during my basic.

I have eaten in mess halls all over the world, and I think our Cdn ones can usually hold their own.

But...

As a recruit, you will have a time crunch.  Do a good Recce of the salad bar.  Often, you can find ceasar salad with that mornings bacon in it, and cold plates of cut up sausages and chicken, cut up steak, etc.  Both the main kitchen and the WO and Sgt's kitchen in Wainwright have good salad bars.  In a pinch, you can almost live off it. 

I don't recall the St Jean kitchen, as I ony used when I was on duty.

Tom

TCBF said:
I have eaten in mess halls all over the world, and I think our Cdn ones can usually hold their own.

But...

As a recruit, you will have a time crunch.   Do a good Recce of the salad bar.   Often, you can find ceasar salad with that mornings bacon in it, and cold plates of cut up sausages and chicken, cut up steak, etc.   Both the main kitchen and the WO and Sgt's kitchen in Wainwright have good salad bars.   In a pinch, you can almost live off it.  

I don't recall the St Jean kitchen, as I ony used when I was on duty.

Tom

i work at the messes on base and we usually do put that days bacon on the salad and if theres any left the next day they do it agian. The reason they dont give out large portions is becuase there is alot of wasted food

Island Ryhno said:
Hey that unlimited food thing might be true for officers but not for NCM's, you go through a line and pick what you want   but there are crusty old b*stards who give you like two strips of bacon for breakfast and will not give you any more unless you go through again. I know because I have the same big guy problem.   So you might get 2500 cals a day which is good if your 165.bs do massive amounts of work but when your 285lbs and you need 3000 cals on a regular day...well I bet you get the idea Dr Size. They will take supplements etc away...if they know you have it, you do have a personal box. Just an opinion

In St. Jean the officer cadets and recruits eat at the same mess - there's no difference in food allocation. The cook staff will only give you so much per trip but you can usually get enough from the fruit bar, salad bar, entree bar, soup/cracker/bread bar, dessert bar, and leftovers bar to fill your tray. The cook staff only hand out the food at the entree bar, but the cashiers will bust you often times if you have more than you're entitled to (IE: two desserts instead of one).

Island Ryhno said:
Hey that unlimited food thing might be true for officers but not for NCM's, you go through a line and pick what you want but there are crusty old b*stards who give you like two strips of bacon for breakfast and will not give you any more unless you go through again. I know because I have the same big guy problem. So you might get 2500 cals a day which is good if your 165.bs do massive amounts of work but when your 285lbs and you need 3000 cals on a regular day...well I bet you get the idea Dr Size. They will take supplements etc away...if they know you have it, you do have a personal box. Just an opinion

Well, I agree that what you get is not much, but I wouldn't go so far as to call the staff "crusty bastards", I definitely agree that the servings in messes leave much to be desired for some of us bigger guys, but the staff are just doing their job like they were told.    I definitely agree with the suggestion of the salad bar, those things really can be a lifesaver in a crunch.

Just being my curmudgeonly underfed old self, I know everyone has a job to do, they just seem to particullarly enjoy it in St.Jean...NO SOUP FOR YOU, MOVE TO THE EXTREME LEFT.  ;D

Just to cheer you all up, I wan't to say that one day around Kandahar Airfield, I ate four (count'em: four) Black Bean and Rice Burrito MREs.   Had to open all of the hatches in the Coyote.   Rest of the crew wouldn't talk to me.   ;D

Tom

Back