• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alternatives to a grievance?

Tpr.Orange

Inactive
Reaction score
Can anyone inform me of some of the alternatives to filing a grievance.

What is the grievance about?  First step is to always attempt to resolve any issue on a personal level between you and whomever you have the grievance with/against.

Second step is, if that doesn't work, probably to talk to their superior and try to resolve the issue that way, but I wouldn't give that advice very freely not knowing some specifics.

Sometimes a "personal" airing of grievances can do the trick.  For example, if you have a problem with your CSM, a note to the OC or short interview may find him/her sympathetic, and they will resolve to work things out within the company/battery/squadron...without making things official.

I am still a big fan of the psychotic rampage...  ;D
If that fails...

Greivance
Harasment Complaint - if applicable - you can go to mediation now if you can't talk it out between you
Ombudsman
Civil Suit

Try the chain of command route first: you can go right up to the CO with a written complaint  if you have to. If that doesn't work, you can ask for Alternative Dispute Resolution through the chain of command or via the ADR centre at your base (I'm not a fan of this, but, it's there). If none of that works, you can submit a request for Redress of Grievance. Having reviewed a few of these (many are so poorly written they are almost useless) I advise you to:

describe exactly and specifically what injustice you have suffered;

describe exactly what you have attempted to do about it, and what the results were; and

state what redress you are seeking: this will make it much easier to decide at what level the issue can be resolved.

The Ombudsman will only get involved if you have exhausted all other routes.

Cheers.

each sub-unit is supposed to now have a WRA (work-place relations advisor), who has received training (HA course).....if early intervention (one-to-one, supervisor level) doesn't work, try this as the next available recourse........

Cheers!

Also, if you are submitting a Redress, ensure you ask for an Assisting Member!   S/he will be able to help you avoid the pitfalls that pbi has warned about.   You are able to request an Assisting Member by name and they do not have to be from your Unit.   Make sure you think carefully about your choice as a bad assisting member is worse than having none.   If possible get someone who has done it before and if you have no idea of who to ask for, make some discrete inquiries with Snr members of your unit (or even another unit) if you feel comfortable doing that, as they will probably have a few ideas from past experience and observation.   If you come up with a name, it would be advisable to approach them informally prior to submitting their name to the CO so you don't waste everyone's time and, finally, only as a last resort would I ask the CO to appoint one.

Back