• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

Springroll said:
Is there a CANFORGEN for these new rates???

*edit for spelling

http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2008/061-08_e.asp

CANFORGEN 061/08 CMP 024/08 311241Z MAR 08 POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL (PLD) 2008/2009 RATES UNCLASSIFIED
REFS: A. CBI 205.45 (POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL) <http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/cbi/includes/cbi_coverpage_e.asp?sid
esection=6&docid=4>
B. CBI 205.452 (TRANSITIONAL POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL) <http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/cbi/includes/cbi_coverpage_e.asp?sid
esection=6&docid=4>
C. CANFORGEN 182/07 CMP 077/07 031554Z DEC 07 </vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2007/182-07_e.asp> 
1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO PROMULGATE REVISED PLD RATES, EFFECTIVE 1 APR 08, WHICH WERE DETERMINED FROM THE ANNUAL COST OF LIVING SURVEY CONDUCTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH REF A.
2. THE CURRENT PLD METHODOLOGY BETTER REFLECTS ACTUAL YEAR-TO-YEAR FLUCTUATIONS IN THE COST OF LIVING WITHIN THE VARIOUS CF DUTY AREAS, PARTICULARLY THOSE WITH RAPIDLY GROWING LOCAL ECONOMIES. NEVERTHELESS, PLD RATES ARE NOW SUBJECT TO GREATER VOLATILITY THAN IN PAST YEARS AND, CONSEQUENTLY, PERSONNEL SHOULD GUARD AGAINST MAKING LONG-TERM FINANCIAL COMMITMENTS BASED ON PLD.
3. IAW REF A THE FOLLOWING RATES ARE EFFECTIVE 1 APR 08, READ IN THREE COLUMNS: PLD AREA, FULL RATE, SEVENTY-FIVE PERCENT RATE:

ALDERGROVE, 418, 314
CALGARY, 711, 533
CAMBRIDGE, 71, 53
COLD LAKE, 319, 239
EDMONTON, 684, 513
GUELPH, 167, 125
HALIFAX, 631, 473
HAMILTON, 414, 311
KAMLOOPS/KELOWNA, 525, 394
KITCHENER, 62, 47
LETHBRIDGE, 234, 176
MEAFORD, 77, 58
MEDICINE HAT, 145, 109
MONTREAL NORTH SHORE, 505, 379
MONTREAL SOUTH SHORE, 376, 282
MOOSE JAW, 284, 213
NANAIMO, 75, 56
QUEBEC CITY/VALCARTIER, 117, 88
RED DEER, 327, 245
REGINA, 62, 47
SASKATOON, 382, 287
SEPT-ILES, 107, 80
ST JOHNS, 149, 112
STRATFORD, 82, 62
TORONTO AREA ONE, 1485, 1114
TORONTO AREA TWO, 506, 380
TORONTO AREA THREE, 522, 392
TORONTO AREA FOUR, 819, 614
TORONTO AREA FIVE, 1167, 875
VANCOUVER, 1083, 812
VICTORIA/ESQUIMALT, 816, 612
4. TRANSITIONAL PLD (TPLD) HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED AT LOCATIONS THAT
ARE EXPERIENCING DECREASES IN PLD RATES AS A RESULT OF THE NEW PLD METHODOLOGY. THE TPLD RATES CAN BE FOUND AT REF B. ELIGIBLE PERSONNEL SHALL RECEIVE THE GREATER OF THE ABOVE RATES (WHICH WILL BE INCORPORATED INTO THE TABLE TO REF A) AND THE RATES AT REF B FOR THE APPLICABLE PERIOD AND RANK GROUP. THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO THE TPLD:

BARRIE/BORDEN
BRANTFORD
CAMBRIDGE
CORNERBROOK
GRAND FALL/WINDSOR
GUELPH
KINGSTON
KITCHENER
LONDON
MONTREAL SOUTH SHORE
NIAGARA/ST CATHARINES
NORTH BAY
OTTAWA/GATINEAU
PETERBOROUGH
QUEBEC CITY/VALCARTIER
SEPT-ILES
ST JOHNS
ST-HYACINTHE
STRATFORD
TORONTO AREA ONE
TORONTO AREA TWO
TORONTO AREA THREE
TORONTO AREA FOUR
TORONTO AREA FIVE
WINDSOR

5. GIVEN THAT CF PERSONNEL ARE ENTITLED TO THE GREATER OF EITHER PLD OR TPLD FOR THEIR LOCATION, THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS WILL RECEIVE PLD OVER TPLD FOR THIS YEAR:

HALIFAX
HAMILTON
NANAIMO
MONTREAL NORTH SHORE

6. LOCATIONS NOT LISTED IN THIS MESSAGE ARE NOT PLD OR TPLD AREAS, AND PERSONNEL AT THESE LOCATIONS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR EITHER ALLOWANCE.
7. AS STATED PREVIOUSLY, PLD RATES MAY NOW BE SUBJECTED TO SIGNIFICANT INCREASES OR DECREASES FROM YEAR-TO-YEAR, CF PERSONNEL ARE HEREBY ADVISED NOT TO MAKE LONG-TERM FINANCIAL COMMITMENTS BASED ON THE ABOVE RATES.
8. SIGNED BY MGEN W. SEMIANIW, CMP

Can someone tell me if the BARRIE/BORDEN get this?? If so what is the rate?

Sorry I can never really understand these things.

as others have noted, I was shocked to see the revised rates released so quickly!  now, of course, the question becomes:  "when will we see the new rate implemented?"  (I checked April's pay and the old amount of $232 is what I received) 

The biggest reason I ask is that back pay always seems to be taxed at around 50% whereas my monthly pay is taxed at a MUCH lower rate (something silly like 23%) and extra cash for luxuries and increased bill payments is always a good thing

I went from 371 to 300 even though PLD went to 631.

Funny world...pay office assures me, Mid June everything will be straightened out

I beieve there is a MARGEN out stating the new rates will kick in 01 May, with the retro amount for Apr 08 on the May pay run.

The 100% Halifax rate was actually $374  ;D but the new rate is $631 for 100%.

Eye In The Sky said:
I beieve there is a MARGEN out stating the new rates will kick in 01 May
Perhaps forthcoming, but not as of this moment.

I received my mid Apr pay statement, and for Apr I am getting the old (i.e. before 01 Apr 08) amount for the Halifax (I am a 75% type) of $281. 

PO2FinClerk,

My bad, I meant to say MARLANTGEN.

For info.  Anyone else think switching to a 1 year average vice a rolling average is a horrible idea. Its going to be jumping up and down all over the place.

SUBJ: POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL (PLD) RATE CHANGE FOR HALIFAX

REFERENCES: A. CBI 205.452 (TRANSITIONAL POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL)
B. CANFORGEN 061/08 CMP 024/08 311241Z MAR 08
1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO PROVIDE CLARIFICATION TO THE
PROMULGATED REVISED PLD RATES FOR HALIFAX.
2. REFERENCE A IDENTIFIED HALIFAX AS AN AREA OF TRANSITION, ONE THAT
WAS
EXPECTED TO INCUR A DECREASE IN THE AMOUNT OF PLD, WHEN UTILIZING
THE
ACTUAL YEAR-TO-YEAR FLUCTUATIONS IN THE COST OF LIVING. HALIFAX HAD
A
PAGE 2 RCEOCEA5111 UNCLAS
TRANSITIONAL PLD RATE ESTABLISHED AT 300 DOLLARS PER MONTH (TABLE TO
REF
A) IN ORDER TO ALLEVIATE ANY LARGE DECREASES IN THE FORECASTED
NEGATIVE
CHANGES IN PLD. THE EXPECTATION WAS THAT HALIFAX WOULD DECREASE
BELOW
THE TRANSITIONAL RATE ONCE THE ECONOMIC FIGURES AND METHODOLOGY WAS
TABULATED.
3. THE RESULTS HAVE PRODUCED THE OPPOSITE OF THE ORIGINAL
EXPECTATION
DUE TO A DECREASE IN THE COST OF LIVING OF THE BASELINED CITY
OTTAWA.
THIS DECREASE COMBINED WITH THE USE OF ONE YEARS STATISTICS VICE A
ROLLING AVERAGE HAS TRANSLATED INTO A NEW FULL PLD RATE OF 631
DOLLARS
PER MONTH AS PER REF B. IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT THE NEW RATE WILL BE
REFLECTED IN MID MAY 08 PAY. PERSONNEL WHO FALL INTO GROUP A
(LT(N)/CAPT,PO1/WO AND ABOVE) WILL EXPERIENCE A PLD REDUCTION TO THE
PAGE 3 RCEOCEA5111 UNCLAS
DOLLAR TRANSISTIONAL RATE VICE THE OLD PLD RATE OF 374 FOR APRIL 08.

THIS ERROR DUE TO BATCH PAY POSTINGS WILL BE CORRECTED ASAP.
4. THIS EXPERIENCE CLEARLY IDENTIFIES THE VOLATILITY OF THE NEW PLD
RATES WHICH CAN BE AFFECTED DUE TO THE COST OF LIVING RISING OR
DECREASING NOT ONLY IN THE LOCAL AREA BUT IN THE BASELINE CITY. IT
ALSO
SERVES TO HIGHLIGHT THE NEED TO GUARD AGAINST MAKING LONG-TERM
FINANCIAL
COMMITMENTS BASED ON PLD, AS THE ALLOWANCE IS SUBJECT TO LARGE
FLUCTUATIONS ON AN ANNUAL BASIS.
END OF ENGLISH TEXT

If you read the MARLANTGEN for Halifax, which I have sitting on my desk, it states that the new rate will "New Rate will be reflected in MID MAY 08 PAY.  I still get PLD as my POR is still Halifax while I finish my training and I spoke with the Borden Pay Office this morning and they assured me that in Mid May it would be taken care of as Ottawa has to change it in the Pay System, not the local Pay Office.  But don't shot the messenger, I am just quoting what I was told my clerk in the BOR. 

Everything you have just mentioned is also stated the in the message posted just above by PumpKickr.

My apologies I brought up the post, but didn't read it all as I was busy at work.  I guess I should pay attention to detail a little more  :)

Yes I was very surprised to get 300 in my statement yesterday....I'm glad someone explained it cause I was going to have a word with the pay folks this morning after seeing the message bumping it up to over 600...thanks for posting everyone.

Ok, here's my question...If you enrolled from New Brunswick, then doing ojt in St-Jean, then you decide to move all your things to Victoria, BC (Cause gf got a job there), I'm I entitled to PLD, of if I go there to do OJT? THanx. :salute:

There are so many questions I have to this one.  I won't wade in other than to say I am betting any RMS Clerk who replies or other mbr is going to ask you to clarify and answer some questions.  The first one is 'where are you officially posted to now', are you on restricted move/posting and are you posted to Vic once training complete?

Back