• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

I’m glad the GOFOs are so generous that they fought for a peasantry night out and call it a benefit. Not only that, they are stupid enough to brag about a $30m “savings” after all this without providing any context.
The CBC article lays it out. We were overspending by $30 million and TBS ordered the CAF to get the spending back in line.

Since TBS controls the money, they foreseeably could have completely turned the funding taps off. Imagine the Reddit response to that.

CAF Reddit has been toxic for a while but this really takes the cake - the CBC article comments got locked within 8 hours of the first post.

CAF Reddit has been toxic for a while but this really takes the cake - the CBC article comments got locked within 8 hours of the first post.

I’m glad don’t frequent either of those, but every time someone mentions the CAF subreddit, part of me is like…

Dont Try It Obi Wan GIF by Star Wars

FFS - if you're going to quote, quote it in context.

CAF Reddit has posts of folks not being able to afford anything, even meals out, because of housing. So "an occasional meal out" seems insignificant for most of us on this forum, but the quote was to explain that it is a financial raise from before.
I feel like this is the correct post to respond to with the following meme, stolen shamelessly from FB.

FB_IMG_1679623208335.jpg

I’m glad don’t frequent either of those, but every time someone mentions the CAF subreddit, part of me is like…

Dont Try It Obi Wan GIF by Star Wars
It is literally a self licking smoke pit from hell. It has gotten increasingly more toxic and is an echo chamber that jumps on anyone that doesn't think their way. Think of the darkest days of army.ca with toxic mods and multiple it by 100

The only redeeming feature is they generally get decent as admin advice. There are as usual folks who are talking it their rectal orifices when it comes to admin but generally good advice/info is given

The CBC article lays it out. We were overspending by $30 million and TBS ordered the CAF to get the spending back in line.

Since TBS controls the money, they foreseeably could have completely turned the funding taps off. Imagine the Reddit response to that.

$30m is absolutely nothing. Probably Sockboy’s gin bill for the year. We finally found the one thing the Chinada Liberals were not willing to spend money on.

It is literally a self licking smoke pit from hell. It had gotten increasingly more toxic and is an echo chamber that jumps on anyone that doesn't think their way. Think of the darkest days of army.ca with toxic mods and multiple it by 100

The only redeeming feature is they generally get decent as admin advice. There are as usual folks who are talking it their rectal orifices when it comes to admin but generally good advice/info is given
Example: There are obviously folks who have a net benefit from HD, like junior folks on the economy bc there aren’t any RHUs.

You’d think that someone would comment that they are benefitting from this but nope. Why comment when you’ll get a dozen negative replies?

Example: There are obviously folks who have a net benefit from HD, like junior folks on the economy bc there aren’t any RHUs.

You’d think that someone would comment that they are benefitting from this but nope. Why comment when you’ll get a dozen negative replies?
I don't think anyone has denied some people are benefitting, I think the problem is the downplaying of the people who are going to lose/not gain nearly as much.

It is literally a self licking smoke pit from hell. It has gotten increasingly more toxic and is an echo chamber that jumps on anyone that doesn't think their way. Think of the darkest days of army.ca with toxic mods and multiple it by 100

I think I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing and never turn down that street…

What is a releases count in MM DB?

MCS dashboard provides current count of releases in progress, along with a bunch of other statistical data on CAF happenings. I’m amazed at the functionality of the program, you can go down to the unit level, CAF wide, for information. I don’t know how accurate it is, but the releases in progress has been increasing gradually, this is before Tuesday.

To be honest, this has been so poorly received someone probably needs to resign 🙃

We don’t hold anyone accountable in the CAF. If this Gen was the architect of OP CFHD, she’ll get a coin on her way to pensionable retirement leaving, potentially, thousands of extra releases in her wake and the CAF no closer to helping retention. Fact is, we can’t recruit and we can’t retain. Unless something drastic happens in the next 10-20 years, our manning levels, in many trades, will be unrecoverable. I’ll be shocked if the Army and Navy are still able to function. I’m sure the people working in the cubicle farms at NDHQ are well aware, however they won’t be around to see the effects of that. It’s a shame that after all this time and promises of PLD revamps, this is the outcome. Like all things in government, no one will have to wear it.

With 64k members you’ll get a wider brush of opinions from active, junior members (NCM and Officer) than you will on here, which is from what I can tell, mainly retired or in the pension zones. Even if 25% of the 64k are still serving, I’d be very concerned for the future of the CAF based on their feedback of tuesdays announcement. The up or downvotes can be taken with a grain of salt - could be China farm bots voting on the worst comments.

I think that most CAF members are smart enough to understand what I meant, You may want to go ask one of them to explain it to you.

The highest single CF152 (Write Off) I have ever submitted was for 8 million and it had to go to the MND is my understanding. The last person I had to present it too was CDR MARLANT. And I think it went higher than that.

Its been explained that the 30M "saved" was the 30M that was over the funding envelope and the new benefit just puts us within the limits of what we were allowed to spend originally. So how long have we been over this 150M limit? 15 or 20 years? Who was paying the extra 30M we were over? Was it ever considered to just ask for a funding limit increase given the economic conditions we are in and the fact its been many years since this limit was imposed on us? Its been said that the worry was that we could of lost the entire benefit, sorry I'm not buying that given the dire straights that would of been placed on everyone and the optics of pulling the benefit entirely.

Last edited:
It’s been explained that the 30M "saved" was the 30M that was over the funding envelope and the new benefit just puts us within the limits of what we were allowed to spend originally. So how long have we been over this 150M limit? 15 or 20 years? Who was paying the extra 30M we were over? Was it ever considered to just ask for a funding limit increase given the economic conditions we are in and the fact it’s topmaking sense pleasebeen many years since this limit was imposed on us? Its been said that the worry was that we could of lost the entire benefit, sorry I'm not buying that given the dire straights that would of placed on everyone and those optics.

stop making sense please

Its been explained that the 30M "saved" was the 30M that was over the funding envelope and the new benefit just puts us within the limits of what we were allowed to spend originally. So how long have we been over this 150M limit? 15 or 20 years? Who was paying the extra 30M we were over? Was it ever considered to just ask for a funding limit increase given the economic conditions we are in and the fact its been many years since this limit was imposed on us? Its been said that the worry was that we could of lost the entire benefit, sorry I'm not buying that given the dire straights that would of been placed on everyone and the optics of pulling the benefit entirely.
Exactly. The cumulative effect of inflation since 2009 (last time PLD was amended) is 40.23%.

So, even if we had stuck to the $150m, that $150m should have been increased to $210m by now!

Exactly. The cumulative effect of inflation since 2009 (last time PLD was amended) is 40.23%.

So, even if we had stuck to the $150m, that $150m should have been increased to $210m by now!
That's why I laughed when they said "we were over our funding limit"

BY WHAT METRIC? 2009 DOLLARS!? 🤣🤣🤣

That's why I laughed when they said "we were over our funding limit"

BY WHAT METRIC? 2009 DOLLARS!? 🤣🤣🤣
The CMP Command CWO did a Chief's Coffee at the C&POs in Ottawa, and made it very clear that TB already thinks we are well compensated, so they had little appetite to increase our compensation.

He also pointed out that the TB doesn't care if the CAF is short 7K or 17K pers, there is no appetite to address it via compensation.

Edit: the Chief's Covfefe was back in January, so before the new HD and EI came out, or were finalized.

Back