• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

Perhaps it’s time to revisit those other duties/jobs in the office?
If you don't have three secondary duties are you even trying to get promoted? :ROFLMAO:

It certainly isn't an insurmountable obstacle, but it is a consideration. Things like SLOCs, Fire Warden, parades, etc., are all jobs that can only be done by someone onsite, so it just requires rebalancing work in other areas, and for supervisors to be conscious of it when assigning tasks.

Some of it. The Forces topped up the difference to I believe 90 or 95 percent, and my wife had to pay back substantially on her pension. I will not ever be able to draw EI, as it would be offset by my pension benefits. Having paid in to it for more than 40 years, it would be nice to see some payback.
Pension contributions are the same rate; the difference is that they were not withheld at source while she was in receipt of EI and the CAF top-up. So it became a lump sum all at once instead of being spread over a year.

Pension contributions are the same rate; the difference is that they were not withheld at source while she was in receipt of EI and the CAF top-up. So it became a lump sum all at once instead of being spread over a year.
Yup.

The NCR is zero as it is the baseline for PLD. If they ever get around to updating the PLD there will be changes that people don't like. Toronto and Vancouver would lose a large amount as the NCR is much closer on par with them on COL.

Tax differences between the locations is part of the formula along with all the other items factored in to calculating the PLD.

TB for years wanted to do away with PLD and some in the public service doesn't support us having it as they don't get it.

TB for years wanted to do away with PLD and some in the public service doesn't support us having it as they don't get it.

Public service aren't forced to re-locate nearly as much as military do, so therefore they can pound sand. Maybe we can introduce a program for them as well where they are moved across the country, just because, have to uproot their lives, sell their homes, have their kids lose friends and force one spouse to lose their job. Rinse-repeat every 3-5 years.

Not to mention losses on house sales that the govt isn’t required to reimburse …

8.2.13 Home Equity Assistance (HEA)​

1. A member is entitled to be assisted for any financial loss incurred in relation to the sale of their principal residence if the sale price is less than the purchase price paid by the member.
  2. Despite the definition of purchase price in Section 1.4, in relation to a principal residence that was a new home construction, the purchase price is the sum of the costs:
    1. identified in the Building Agreement; and
    2. incurred during the first year of occupancy of the residence for initial landscaping if those costs were not identified in the Building Agreement.
  3. The reimbursable amount is equivalent to the difference between the original purchase price and the sale price, minus any reduction in the sale price that is identified in the agreement of purchase or sale and attributable to anything in the principal residence that required repair or replacement.
  4. The reimbursable amount is funded:
    1. from the Core Account for 80% of the reimbursable amount or $30,000, whichever is less; and
    2. from the Custom Account for any remaining reimbursable amount not reimbursed under subparagraph (a).
(T)

8.2.14 HEA – Taxation​

HEA reimbursements may have income tax implications. A member who receives this benefit should confirm the taxation rules applicable to their circumstances.

(C)

HEA? Pffffft.

and

Neither of those stories should give mbrs the warm, comfy feeling. How many people were forced to move during COVID, paying significantly inflated prices? And could face the same situation those 2 mbr's did?

Having done a move very recently and then a IR posting shortly after, dealing with the CAFRP and BGRS is something I will make efforts to avoid at almost any cost in the few remaining years of service I have left.

If interest rates take a hike...(when interest rates take a hike...).

I was on the "CAF Relocation FB group" when we moved; people were getting some insanely low interest rates APS 2020. Those rates can't hold the low forever.

I'm not a housing market expert, but all I saw was conditions for major issues in the near future being created. Overpriced houses, bought with no conditions, with extremely low interest rates....doesn't sound like a formula for stability in the near future.

There was also more than a few people on the FB group who were dealing with HEA and losses on home sales who were pretty stressed out. Mbr looses X amount on sale of principal residence, CAF pays out Y amount which doesn't cover the total loss, mbr also pays taxes on Z amount of the allowance they got.

There was also more than a few people on the FB group who were dealing with HEA and losses on home sales who were pretty stressed out. Mbr looses X amount on sale of principal residence, CAF pays out Y amount which doesn't cover the total loss, mbr also pays taxes on Z amount of the allowance they got.

Some that state losses on home sales don't actually have a loss. Remember one redress I dealt with where the member felt he suffered a loss due to the renovations he had made and the real estate agents "assessed" value that he did not get on the home sale. Redress was rejected as he had actually made something like 50K more than he had paid for the house a few years prior. It isn't a loss when you get more than you paid nor does a real estate agent assessment count. At least it wasn't at that time.

Anyone else hear that PLD is getting worked on now and is to be replaced? Haven't heard any details other than that but it was from a reliable source in a briefing.

Some that state losses on home sales don't actually have a loss. Remember one redress I dealt with where the member felt he suffered a loss due to the renovations he had made and the real estate agents "assessed" value that he did not get on the home sale. Redress was rejected as he had actually made something like 50K more than he had paid for the house a few years prior. It isn't a loss when you get more than you paid nor does a real estate agent assessment count. At least it wasn't at that time.

Anyone else hear that PLD is getting worked on now and is to be replaced? Haven't heard any details other than that but it was from a reliable source in a briefing.
I was told that details are being held in tight control, as leaks have caused the entire process to derail before.

Updating PLD would be great; there are a lot of folks posted to the NCR this summer that can't afford to live within an hour of work (which can be withing 30-40 km as the crow flies but long with traffic). Even renting is crazy, and folks are all the way out in Russell/Prescott/Renfrew area, or heading up towards Maniwaki on the QC side.

The only plus side is that with the hybrid work at $2/litre for gas (with a somewhat broken transit system) if they can a lot of orgs are only doing partial returns to work, otherwise it would be brutal for anyone coming in, even if they are in the six figure range for salary. The average house price is close to $1M, with even townhouses north of $500-600k. It's insane.

I don't think a negative adjustment to any PLD area is going to be well received. It's not like the cost of living has gone down.

I really hope Ottawa gets something. That's long overdue.

Last edited:
Most people I talk to are of the belief that we will lose PLD before we see any more locations become applicable. TBS and most of the PS Unions seem to hate when we get any form of "perk" they don't get; regardless if the conditions of our employment differ greatly from theirs.

Most people I talk to are of the belief that we will lose PLD before we see any more locations become applicable. TBS and most of the PS Unions seem to hate when we get any form of "perk" they don't get; regardless if the conditions of our employment differ greatly from theirs.

No doubt. My hope is that we have GO/FOs explaining any negative adjustment will probably decimate certain geographic areas.

As an aside this is a typically Canadian attitude. Whining is a sacred tradition in Canada.

In the province of MB the Liquor and Lotteries merged. In the old days unsellable liquor was given or sold at a really good rate to employees. When the merge happened the Lotteries people whined and now the liquor is tossed out. Well done a$$holes.

Back