• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

upandatom said:
There needs to be a location orientated team, based in that area/base/wing, that takes into account the local economical pressures and the local NON Military populace and the cost of living. A brief review done every year by that team that interviews, analyzes, and looks at the cost to live in that area, which includes housing, taxes, school etc.

On that note, an update:  CF's looking for someone to do a "Cost of Living Survey" to help figure out PLD rates:
.... In June 2000, the Treasury Board of Canada approved a cost of living allowance for the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) called Post Living Differential (PLD). This allowance has evolved since its inception. Today, qualifying CAF personnel will be compensated by PLD if their overall cost of living is greater than the simple average of all major Canadian Armed Forces members posted to the location will form a Standard City: the baseline for determining the differential at all designated areas. A cost of living survey – based on the CAF-determined family size and household income – of all CAF locations in Canada is required on an annual basis to determine the PLD amount payable.  Surveys for PLD for fiscal year 2015/2016 are required to be done in the January-February 2015 period to support a recalculated PLD rate effective 1 April 2015. Surveys in subsequent fiscal years are required to be done in the October-November period to support a recalculated PLD rate effective 1 April the following calendar year ....
More (including which cities they'll be checking) in the attached Statement of Work.

upandatom said:
TB, needs to get its head out of its ***.

Dragging feet on matter such as this is ridiculous. (When it deals with peoples money and pay, sure as crap should be handled ASAP)
(FYI for those that dont know, the ACISS side of the house has been waiting approximately 3 years for word about spec pay, while still doing the exact same job, because of TB and the beurocratic bullshit pertaining to it)

WRT to PLD,
There needs to be a location orientated team, based in that area/base/wing, that takes into account the local economical pressures and the local NON Military populace and the cost of living. A brief review done every year by that team that interviews, analyzes, and looks at the cost to live in that area, which includes housing, taxes, school etc.

I know the Income of the civilian population in Cold Lake is higher then the average military income. No way should military members be taking second jobs for the need to, to pay heating bills, etc.

The volunteers would have to be from all walks of military life, Single, Married, Divorced, etc.  Service couples, Single income and dual income homes.

Dont take into account a gucci posting as opposed to a could be bad one (Comox/Cold Lake or Trenton, Bagotville)

Look at the cost of that run of the mill 3 bedroom house for that family in Comox, Compare it to the cost of an equivalent (Quality equivalent as well, dont just be looking at the shittiest houses on the market) in trenton, in Ottawa, in Petawawa, wherever, do proper cost comparisons.

and then in turn, Look at the cost of the money the members are paying if they are seperated from family, ie single fathers away from their children etc.

This all needs to be taken into consideration. Thats how you would compare cost difference,
TB's head is out of its ass. They are not doing this because they are ill informed. This is either a purposeful course of action or they are so incompetent and useless that Canadians should be frightened about who holds the purse strings in this country. 

CAF Standard City Baseline: This report is to provide a simple average of all major
Canadian Armed Forces locations- 20 or more Canadian Armed Forces members posted
to the location- will form the Standard City: the baseline for determining the differential at
all designated areas.

I wonder what will be considered the new "standard city"?

Dolphin_Hunter said:
CAF Standard City Baseline: This report is to provide a simple average of all major
Canadian Armed Forces locations- 20 or more Canadian Armed Forces members posted
to the location- will form the Standard City: the baseline for determining the differential at
all designated areas.

Likely the one that is the most that has the highest PLD benefits at this time.  8)

Dolphin_Hunter said:

Pure speculation but Winnipeg seems to fit the bill.  Moderate cost of living increases on par with national inflation and a real estate market that is generally stable (although 2006-2012 had some unprecedended increases. 

Dolphin_Hunter said:
CAF Standard City Baseline: This report is to provide a simple average of all major Canadian Armed Forces locations- 20 or more Canadian Armed Forces members posted to the location- will form the Standard City: the baseline for determining the differential at all designated areas.

The way I'm reading it (as clunkily written as it is) is that they'll take the average of places with +20 CF folks living there as a "CAF Standard City Baseline".

Although I wrestle with read bureaucratese daily, I stand to be corrected.

milnews.ca said:
The way I'm reading it (as clunkily written as it is) is that they'll take the average of places with +20 CF folks living there as a "CAF Standard City Baseline".

Although I wrestle with read bureaucratese daily, I stand to be corrected.

I'd take it as the report is to calculate the average of all places with >20 CF pers, and the city that ends up being nearest that average will end up as the Standard City.  Yes, the wording of the SOW needs some major surgery.

As long as its regularly updated, any change is a good change.

It'd also be nice if they made all the information available to the members, as suggested in an onbudsman report a few years ago.

I would really like to see how they come up with the numbers.

Old methodology

The cost of living will be based on a representative CF household defined as:
a. gross income based on the average CF salary; and
b. family size as determined from the CF personnel records or periodic surveys of CF members. Current representative family size of three persons is derived from the 1998 CF Household Survey.

The household expenditure pattern, including the category weightings, will be based on the Canadian average for a household of similar income and family size, as described in the Statistics Canada Family Expenditure Survey (FAMEX).
Cost of living differences will be determined by the pricing of a representative selection of the items in the FAMEX and any additional items determined by DND as being necessary to meet the CF requirement. As a minimum, the data collected and representative items priced will provide sufficient indication of spatial differences in expenditure by the representative household in the following categories:
a. income tax - the total combined federal and provincial income tax paid annually;
b. transportation - total annual cost;
c. rent for renters and mortgage interest for homeowners;
d. property (real estate) tax for homeowners;
e. home maintenance cost for homeowners;
f. household/renter insurance;
g. utilities;
h. goods and services, to include:
(1) food items (consumed at home and away from home);
(2) clothing;
(3) household items, including furniture;
(4) personal care;
(5) medical and dental care;
(6) domestic services, including child-care;
(7) recreation; and
( 8 ) alcohol and tobacco.
i. expenditure on sales tax, if not included in the pricing of relevant items; and
j. miscellaneous items, to include expenditures not included elsewhere (e.g., education costs) and savings and investments.
Homeowner costs will be based on:
a. the home size indicated by the Canadian average expenditure profile;
b. home purchases for the last 12 months (12 months may be expanded for locations where there is insufficient real estate market activity for meaningful analysis);
c. the rolling average interest rate for a five-year closed mortgage; and
d. a 20% down-payment.

And the NEW

The cost of living survey will focus on the communities within designated areas, see attachment 1
to the Statement of Work, where CAF members normally reside. As a minimum, the data collected and
representative items priced will provide sufficient indication of spatial differences in expenditure by the
representative household in the following components:
a. Shelter (Rental Only):  <-------  Rental only.....  
b. Goods and Services;
c. Transportation; and
d. Taxation

Oh my. That is going to make things interesting. Especially in places where there is no appreciable rental market...

Interesting that Page 25 of the SOW includes Whitehorse, Yellowknife and Iqaluit -- even though all three locations are currently exempt from PLD and receive isolation allowances instead.

The same list includes Ottawa, Ottawa-Gatineau, and Gatineau. Which seems to me a strong indicator that they haven't made up their mind about whether the NCR will be one rate (as it is now, $0 on both sides) or will be two rates divided by the river.

And given the recent issues in Halifax with members and units not knowing the exact geographical boundaries of the garrison, and therefore members getting PLD clawed back, I really hope that the accurate geographical boundaries of all locations are provided in an annex to the SOW.

Ostrozac said:
And given the recent issues in Halifax with members and units not knowing the exact geographical boundaries of the garrison, and therefore members getting PLD clawed back, I really hope that the accurate geographical boundaries of all locations are provided in an annex to the SOW.
I hope these things are defined somewhere, because there are no maps in the RFP at all (see whole pkg attached).

PuckChaser said:
As long as its regularly updated, any change is a good change.

Only if you are looking for the system to be fairer.  Right now we spend more on PLD than the TB envelope allows, which means, on the whole, less money will be dispensed for PLD.  Mind you, some savings will come from the indefensible rank-based reductions, that will see some ranks receive 50% of the allowance, and others 0%.

PPCLI Guy said:
Only if you are looking for the system to be fairer.  Right now we spend more on PLD than the TB envelope allows, which means, on the whole, less money will be dispensed for PLD.  Mind you, some savings will come from the indefensible rank-based reductions, that will see some ranks receive 50% of the allowance, and others 0%.

Am I reading this correctly?  As in a full pendulum swing from the "AAA" days, where the allowance was paid not just based on family size but "rank" (ie; higher ranks got more $$$) and now we may very well be going back to a system where "rank" and or salary level will be factored into the equation?  Something along the lines of, the higher the rank, the more income you earn, therefore, the less PLD you shall receive?

CBI 205.45  ---->  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-205-officer-ncm-allowance-rates.page#sec-45

Anyone know what the accomodation assistance allowance is for Yellowknife?

MCpl
x2 dependants
Reg Force

I'm not sure how to calculate it.

Thx!

CBI 205.43
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-205-officer-ncm-allowance-rates.page#sec-45

Here's hoping the April/2015 re-calc  (according to final pages of the SOW pdf) will include some new cities?
I'm Reg Force on OJT at a Reserve unit (Rocky Mtn Rangers B-Coy, Prince George BC) with a COL undoubtedly above the current baseline.

Kamloops (Rocky Mtn Rangers A-Coy) and Kelowna (BC Dragoons) are both solely reserve units, and have been included on the PLD table, and Prince George is pretty much identical to Kamloops in terms of costs. I know bcz I lived in Kamloops 7 yrs before moving to PG 3 yrs ago.

...not holding my breath, tho...

Although not a huge deal (already lived here before enrollment), it would be nice as I took quite a pay cut to join the Forces, and after 2 yrs of a lower wage my family is starting to feel the pinch!

Just wondering if there was a way to appeal for inclusion? Or is it simply "if your town ain't on the list, you're BEAT!" kinda thing?

'Greg.

Back