• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

Halifax Tar said:
In one of my previous posts to Pusser you will see I stated the same as you and Chief Stoker.

This is a poorly veiled attempt to save $ disguised as a fair way to pay out. Now is this actually happening or are we debating a fictitious event ?

Usually where there is smoke there is fire.  I suspect there is something to this.  I ran into a friend from AthaB today, he told me they were more or less told it is a done deal by the looks of it.  Expect to see it halved this summer and gone in the New Year if what they were told is genuine.

I have heard from at least 2 years ago that this was being considered.  I fear the writing is on the wall. Parking, SDA, PLD excellent for retention eh?

Chief Stoker said:
I have heard from at least 2 years ago that this was being considered.  I fear the writing is on the wall. Parking, SDA, PLD excellent for retention eh?

Sure makes me a happy Sailor.  Two to twenty five, and if something better comes along, I'm gone.

Off the top of my head, here is the list of ships in which I have sailed and drawn SDA/CASSDA/CASSUBA

PORTE ST LOUIS
PORTE ST JEAN
FORT STEELE
ORIOLE
CHIGNECTO
COWICHAN
MIRIMICHI
QU'APPELLE
YUKON
SAGUENAY
FRASER
CORMORANT
OKANAGAN
PROTECTEUR
ALGONQUIN

I'll stack my sea service against anybody's.

Where do people get the idea that I'm proposing paying SDA on a daily basis in order to save money?  That has never factored into any part of my thoughts on the subject.  My idea may in fact cost more.  I don't know.  I haven't really looked at that part of it because that is not my motivation.  My only motivation is to put the money where it belongs, in the hands of the sailors going to sea as opposed to the senior officers and chiefs sitting in "designated positions" that rarely, if ever, go.

On another note, although I've been out of that office for about five months now, I have never heard anything on possible changes to SDA.  I was just spit balling on what I'd like to see, not what is in the works.

Where do people get the idea that I'm proposing paying SDA on a daily basis in order to save money?

From right here:

Pusser said:
I like the idea of SDA being a daily allowance, but that's a topic for another thread.

Also if you think would be for anything other than saving money I think you may be sadly mistaken.

My only motivation is to put the money where it belongs, in the hands of the sailors going to sea as opposed to the senior officers and chiefs sitting in "designated positions" that rarely, if ever, go.

If them getting it means I still get to keep mine and every other current everyday sailor get to keep theirs too, I say let them have it. I would say the amount actually spent for these few people, you allude to, pale in comparison to the amount's wasted by some bureaucrats err senior/flag officers wandering around NDHQ. Cut the money from the tail end not the pointy end is all I am saying.

You're reading way too much between the lines.  " I like the idea of SDA being a daily allowance," does not in any way say or even imply that I'm trying to save the Crown's money.

You asked:

Where do people get the idea that I'm proposing paying SDA on a daily basis in order to save money?

I answered:

Quote from: Pusser on January 19, 2011, 13:08:45
I like the idea of SDA being a daily allowance, but that's a topic for another thread.

I don't see how that's reading between the lines in anyway. Its pretty plain to me.

I think we've exhausted any other excuse to switch SDA to a daily rate for anything other than a money grab. But Pusser you can go on believing anything you wish. I think this is where we agree to disagree on this subject.

BTW I don't know but I would suspect your probably not involved in this policy making so if you took any of this personally please know I wasn't implying you, Pusser, were some how to blame or at fault for it. Just a simple discussion. If you are involved in the policy making for this well perhaps a little discussion with the sailors its going to effect is in order.

Does anyone have a link to a map of all the PLD areas.........ie one that brakes down exactly were Toronto Area 1 2 and 3 are?
I'm searching for a mbr and its making me crazy!

Cpl  Brat said:
Does anyone have a link to a map of all the PLD areas.........ie one that brakes down exactly were Toronto Area 1 2 and 3 are?
I'm searching for a mbr and its making me crazy!

Map

Situation:  Reg force mbr posted to Valcartier but attach posted to Montreal for 10 months, does he receive Val or Montreal PLD during that time.

I assumed that it would be the location of duty (Montreal) but not sure, any reference would be appreciated as well.

rnkelly said:
Situation:  Reg force mbr posted to Valcartier but attach posted to Montreal for 10 months, does he receive Val or Montreal PLD during that time.

I assumed that it would be the location of duty (Montreal) but not sure, any reference would be appreciated as well.

My read of CBI 205.45 is that you receive it for your residence, not location of duty.  Variables may include whether you're single or marreid, and whether you're married to a civilian or another service member.  Key excerpts (but read the whole policy):

205.45(4) (Entitlement – Regular Force) Subject to paragraphs (7) to (19), a member of the Regular Force whose principal residence is located within a PLDA is entitled to the PLD rate for that location established in the Table to this instruction for that area.

205.45(13) (Member of service couple on attachment) A member of a service couple referred to in paragraph (11) who is on an attachment and who maintains a principal residence at the former place of duty during the period of the attachment is deemed to serve at the former place of duty and to occupy that residence.

205.45(14) (Member without dependants) A member without dependants who maintains a principal residence at a place of duty while serving on an attached posting, remains entitled to PLD for the duration of the posting, at the rate established in this instruction’s Table for that location’s PLDA.

This being said, confirm through your OR - they should have the information needed.

rnkelly said:

Basically the member gets Valcartier PLD unless the residence was auth to be moved to Montreal.

From the CBI
205.45( 8 ) (PLD at other than the place of duty) For the purposes of this instruction;

a. when a PLD rate exists at the location of the principal residence, the member is entitled to the lower of the PLD rate for that PLDA, or the PLD rate established in the Table to this instruction for the PLDA for the member's place of duty when the member;

i. is posted from one place of duty to another place of duty and in lieu of moving at public expense, chooses to commute between their principal residence at their former place of duty and their new place of duty,

ii. is not posted, but chooses, and is authorized, to move at their own expense to another location where they establish a principal residence, or

iii. is posted to a new place of duty and is authorized by the Minister of National Defence to move to a location other than the place of duty, in accordance with CBI Chapter 209 (Transportation and Travelling Expenses), Section 9 (Integrated Relocation Pilot Program) where they establish a principal residence, and

b. when a member is posted from one place of duty to another place of duty and the member is authorized to move dependants to a selected place of residence in Canada under paragraph (1)(h) in CBI 209.82 (Movement of Dependants), or, to a designated alternative location or selected place of residence in Canada under paragraph (5) in CBI 209.90 (Movement of Dependants, Furniture and Effects to Other Than the Place of Duty of the Officer or Non-commissioned Member), the member is entitled to the PLD established in the Table to this instruction for the PLDA for the location of the new principal residence.
205.45(13) (Member of service couple on attachment) A member of a service couple referred to in paragraph (11) who is on an attachment and who maintains a principal residence at the former place of duty during the period of the attachment is deemed to serve at the former place of duty and to occupy that residence.

205.45(14) (Member without dependants) A member without dependants who maintains a principal residence at a place of duty while serving on an attached posting, remains entitled to PLD for the duration of the posting, at the rate established in this instruction’s Table for that location’s PLDA.

So I'll be waking up to 8% less net pay on the 15th this month... and it's not due to EI payments kicking back in and whatnot.

My PLD got cut from 149 to 74.50, despite it being more expensive to live in St. John's right now that it ever has been. ::)

Also, in "other deductions," I got deducted 53.71 for "PLD ACQUITTANCE ROLL 11-04-04." Any clerk-types know what this is? This is deduction isn't going to continue is it?

And somehow I am having an extra $16 and change deducted as Federal income tax despite making less money now?

So much for the $60 I start saving on car insurance that I was excited about...

Thanks for starting this thread. I have similar questions. I realize the PLD is split into 2 payments per month(separate from your regular pay)  so I wonder why on the EMAA pay statement it only has 1/2 the PLD added to your base pay. You are lucky in a way. The PLD acquitance roll fee, whatever the heck that is, is $75.24 in Cold Lake.

I think that's just because you're PLD is more... so not so lucky :nod:

You have to remember that PLD is an amount based on a comparison to to a base level cost of living. So, just because it is more expensive now to live in St Johns than previous years, doesn't mean it is more expensive compared to the baseline. The baseline has obviously increased more than the cost increase where you live, hence, your PLD is decreased.

The deduction is because they would have paid you the full amount automatically in the pay system (149.00), then needed to adjust for the new amount, so they manually reduced your pay. Why it was - 53.71 vs - 74.50 must have to do the effective date of the policy so that instead of reducing a full 30 days, they only reduced it for 26 days.

Look for the CANFORGEN. PLD has been delinked from your pay and will be deposited separately starting 1 Apr.  It was another one of those, "announce it on 31 Mar to take effect 1 Apr" things.

Back