• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alleged PMO obstruction in SNC Lavalin case

milnews.ca said:
Double-edged sword, that.  Some/many wouldn't be happy if their rep voted their conscience when it may not be the will of the constituents.

Pretty much the last word was said on that almost 250 years ago, by Edmund Burke. I don't think anyone has added anything which has aded any real value to the issue since then.

milnews.ca said:
Double-edged sword, that.  Some/many wouldn't be happy if their rep voted their conscience when it may not be the will of the constituents.

At the very least then, and I will defer to the eminent Messrs. Campbell and Burke, Those representatives should have to stand up and explain themselves after the fact. Far too many mindless drones in harness, and as we all know, if you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

E.R. Campbell said:
Pretty much the last word was said on that almost 250 years ago, by Edmund Burke. I don't think anyone has added anything which has aded any real value to the issue since then.

Right up until the point where the representative asks the constituents what they want to do and then stands for election on the promise of implementing their wishes.  Rather poor judgement to renege on the promise.

https://buffalochronicle.com/2019/03/11/political-grandmaster-frank-iacobucci-is-at-the-center-of-snc-lavalin-kinder-morgan-scandals/

'Political grandmaster' Frank Iacobucci is at the center of SNC Lavalin, Kinder Morgan scandals

March 11, 2019

Frank Iacobucci is one of the most influential lawyer-lobbyists in all of Canada.  He has been at the crux of the nation's political, legal, and business communities well before he retired his post as a Supreme Court Justice in 2004. Today he is a partner at Torys, Bay Street's whitest-shoe law firm, and is the most statured attorney in the firm's indigenous law practice.

Suddenly, this week, nearly everyone in Ottawa wants him to testify before the House of Commons' justice committee regarding his involvement in the SNC Lavalin scandal, following widespread rumors that it was Iacobucci who first insisted that Jody Wilson Raybould be removed as Attorney General.

Iacobucci led SNC-Lavalin's efforts to secure a 'Deferred Prosecution Agreement' last summer and into the fall.  He was instrumental in persuading Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to insert the new legal provision as a policy rider into last year's budget bill, acting as SNC Lavalin's in-house attorney.

Last August, Iacobucci 'demanded' a Deferred Prosecution Agreement for SNC Lavalin, even dictating to Finance Minister Bill Morneau the terms that his client 'would accept' from the Trudeau government.  Sources close to Morneau say that's a familiar posture for Iacobucci, who months earlier helped colleagues at Torys 'bully' Morneau into acquiring Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain Pipeline in May - on terms that CEO Steve Kean would accept.

When Wilson-Raybould refused to offer his client the legal mechanism that he lobbied to invent, he was livid.  Iacobucci regularly communicates with Morneau and the former Treasury Board President Scott Brison.  He was not shy about articulating his displeasure with the Attorney General to either man.

The Clerk of the Privy Council, Michael Wernick, even complained to Wilson-Raybould that, 'Iacobucci is not a shrinking violet', to impress upon her the political pressures being exerted on Trudeau. Among Toronto-area political operatives, it's been rumored that Iacobucci may be one of three men in possession of 'embarrassing information' on Trudeau.

In October Trudeau asked Iacobucci to lead the government's negotiations with indigenous communities in British Columbia, where consent is required to accommodate the pipeline.  The government is not merely required to 'consult', because British Columbia's indigenous people have never ceded their lands to Canada by Treaty or transaction.

A source close to the talks suspects that Trudeau had tasked Iacobucci with 'essentially bribing' every indigenous community along the pipeline's route, in order to secure approvals as quickly as possible.  The characterization of bribery, the source says, is based on Iacobucci's posture of engagement with indigenous communities - not allowing for meaningful negotiations, and insisting that the federal government's duty is satisfied by merely transferring funds to the affected communities, regardless of the outcome of discussions.

Iacobucci, who was already angry that Wilson-Raybould was refusing to allow his client to negotiate a deferred prosecution agreement, feared that his consultations in British Columbia could be construed as improper. He would only agree to take the role on the condition that Trudeau would replace her with a 'more doting' Member of Parliament.

Executives at SNC Lavalin have long expected that they will be awarded the construction contract on the multi-billion dollar infrastructure project, and the firm has been advocating aggressively for it in Ottawa.  The firm has also been engaging with key influencers in British Columbia.

<snip>

Indigenous leaders have been calling on Iacobucci to resign his role with the Trans Mountain Pipeline and to 'fully disclose' his list of clients and political activities.

The Chronicle was unable to find Iacobucci's registration in LobbyCanada.

SNC Lavalin has disclosed the following 'in house' contacts made with Trudeau officials since September 2016 (Iacobucci was working as an 'in house' attorney).  In addition, the firm has hired third-party consultants to lobby the government simultaneously.

<snip - lengthy list of contacts>

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/snc-lavalin-quebec-caq-1.5056385

SNC-Lavalin approached Quebec's justice minister about DPA as part of wider effort to lobby government
Social Sharing

Part of company's effort to get new CAQ government to help it avoid prosecution

Simon Nakonechny, Jonathan Montpetit CBC News Posted: Mar 14, 2019 1:41 PM ET

SNC-Lavalin approached Quebec's attorney-general last fall to enlist her help securing a deferred prosecution agreement (DPA) from the federal government.

This was part of a broader effort by the company to get the newly elected Coalition Avenir Québec government to take up its cause with Ottawa.

The senior executive in charge of SNC-Lavalin's lobbying strategy, Erik Ryan, had a phone conversation on Nov. 9 with Justice Minister Sonia LeBel's chief of staff, Marc-André Ross.

During that conversation, Ryan said he wanted to meet with LeBel to discuss a DPA, which would allow SNC-Lavalin to avoid prosecution on federal fraud and bribery charges.

The account of the conversation was provided to CBC News by Lebel's office.

"We find it important to be transparent and to communicate this [information]," said spokesperson Nicky Cayer.

LeBel's office did not follow up on SNC-Lavalin's request for help and has not had further contact with the company, Cayer said.

<snip>

https://globalnews.ca/news/5030733/saadi-gaddafis-toronto-condo/

March 14, 2019 6:45 am

The Gaddafi condo: Redecorated at SNC-Lavalin's expense, luxury Toronto suite sits unused amid UN inaction

By Stewart Bell

The Gaddafis lost Libya in 2011, when rebel fighters captured and killed longtime dictator Colonel Muammar Gaddafi. But the family still holds a small patch of territory in Canada's largest city.

<snip>

Ref: Iacabucci.

W.T.F!

If the Chronicle has this correct, a former Supreme Court Judge is, essentially, blackmailing the current PM.

What kind of nothern Banana republic has Canada become?

SeaKingTacco said:
Ref: Iacabucci.

W.T.F!

If the Chronicle has this correct, a former Supreme Court Judge is, essentially, blackmailing the current PM.

What kind of nothern Banana republic has Canada become?

Wow! Sounds like Kabuki theatre.

Certainly puts the whole " hey Jodi, let's get a second opinion from a retired supreme court judge" line into serious question. The whole frigging shit house is about to come down.

Given the discussions about buying judicial opinions and placing op-eds I think this part of the Buffalo Chronicle article bears repeating:

Iacobucci is a trusted confidant of Canada’s ruling Liberal Party establishment and has received high-profile appointments by federal and provincial Liberal governments.

Iacobucci sits on the Board of Directors of Torstar, the company that publishes The Toronto Star, The Hamilton Spectator, GTA Today, The Niagara Review, iPolitics, and a series of smaller newspapers.  He formerly served as Chairman.  The Toronto Star, in particular, has earned a reputation for left-leaning opinion pages and reliably favorable coverage of Liberal politicians. 

Deleted by self for possible contravention of site guidelines.

Chris Pook said:
For more of the same read the article on the AOPS in the National Post.

Privicy violations and Irving threatening legal action for a story not even written yet. Corruption in a nut shell here, this whole thing need a a public inquiry and a temporary ban on the liberal party from running in am election for 4 years.

Just a little digression on Iacabucci.

Before becoming a Supreme Court Justice, Iacabucci was one of the most highly respected and talented corporate lawyers in Canada and as Dean of the law school at UofT and was a Deputy Minister of Justice for several years. I have no idea what his political leanings are but he was nominated for the SCC by Brian Mulroney a conservative in the days when political affiliation mattered.

After his retirement he took on the role as counsel to the Torys law firm and has been retained by numerous agencies to act on their behalf including several non-Liberal governments.

He's tough, bright, highly experienced and ethical.

In the legal community, conflicts of interest matter; a lot. I personally wouldn't be prepared to throw any aspersions on him based on a flimsy puff piece like that of the Buffalo Chronicle which is a little long on rumour and a little short on sources.

:2c:

FJAG said:

In the legal community, conflicts of interest matter; a lot. I personally wouldn't be prepared to throw any aspersions on him based on a flimsy puff piece like that of the Buffalo Chronicle which is a little long on rumour and a little short on sources.

To think he wouldn't of been trying to influence things for his client, SNC, would be naive.

So far, a number of other well informed legal experts have weighed in, and none support the idea SNC should have been offered a DPA based on economic outcomes. Yet considering economic outcomes was exactly what the Clerk of the Privy council was getting at, and supposedly was why he mentioned Iacabucci not being any shrinking violet to emphasize the point.  The government continues to cling to that idea.  The implication was Iacabucci's legal opinion, biased as it would be for his client, should outweigh that of the AG and the PPSC.

Petard said:
To think he wouldn't of been trying to influence things for his client, SNC, would be naive.

So far, a number of other well informed legal experts have weighed in, and none support the idea SNC should have been offered a DPA based on economic outcomes. Yet considering economic outcomes was exactly what the Clerk of the Privy council was getting at, and supposedly was why he mentioned Iacabucci not being any shrinking violet to emphasize the point.  The government continues to cling to that idea.  The implication was Iacabucci's legal opinion, biased as it would be for his client, should outweigh that of the AG and the PPSC.

Lobbying for this client is kind of his job. As long as he didn't break any rules, it is incumbent on the government not to be a bunch of pansy's who bow down to a high powered lawyer.

The blackmailing rumour is frightening though.

Pffft. Making threats is part of litigation. They just can’t be idle or unlawful threats. Iacabucci wouldn’t blackmail anyone directly or indirectly. He’s required to be a strong and courageous advocate for his client, and he’s got a real winner for a client. It’s why he’s trying to make a deal, he probably forsee’s a conviction and his client wants an alternative. 

I do agree that the firepower demonstration of political influence is disturbing.

Loachman:

I don't know if you picked up on this one -

The chair of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development's Working Group on Bribery said today Jody-Wilson Raybould's testimony on SNC-Lavalin compelled the group to speak out on allegations of political interference in the criminal case against the Quebec engineering firm.

"Allegations which were expressed there immediately raised all alarms sounding in the working group on bribery and that's why we started the debate," said Drago Kos in an interview with CBC News Network's Power & Politics on Wednesday.

Trudeau has acknowleged, however, that he asked her to "revisit" her decision to not negotiate a remediation agreement with SNC-Lavalin that would have allowed it to avoid a trial, saying he was concerned about the loss of 9,000 jobs that might follow the company going under.

Pointing to article 5 in OECD's Anti-Bribery Convention, Kos said national economic interest is not something the prosecution should consider when deciding whether to proceed to trial.

"I think we would all agree that only the merits of the case should be taken into consideration and nothing else," he said.

Kos said the working group is waiting to see the results of investigations by the House justice committee and the ethics commissioner — but Canada will still have to answer for these allegations before the OECD.

"It will not be just decisions of both of your committees," said Kos.

The OECD has sent Canada a letter outlining its concerns.

Kos said Canada will face a 'phase four' OECD review — an evaluation of Canada's compliance with the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention by experts from two member countries and the secretariat of the working group. Canada will be expected to reply to the report within 24 months, offering its response to the OECD's observations and recommendations.

"This does not go very quick," said Kos. He didn't detail possible consequences for Canada in the event its response to the phase four report is found wanting, beyond saying that the OECD would want to see "measures" introduced that would prevent political interference with prosecutions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/powerandpolitics/wilson-raybould-snc-lavalin-trudeau-oecd-kos-1.5055261

It isn't just a local matter or an election matter.  It is a matter of national reputation and won't disappear quickly.  Now..... about that seat on the Security Council.....

FJAG said:

Before becoming a Supreme Court Justice, Iacabucci was one of the most highly respected and talented corporate lawyers in Canada and as Dean of the law school at UofT and was a Deputy Minister of Justice for several years. I have no idea what his political leanings are but he was nominated for the SCC by Brian Mulroney a conservative in the days when political affiliation mattered.

After his retirement he took on the role as counsel to the Torys law firm and has been retained by numerous agencies to act on their behalf including several non-Liberal governments.

Political leaning and affiliations among certain of our politicians is somewhat of a dubious matter, especially if they have a higher calling. Brian Mulroney, in my mind, was never a conservative. Up until the last few years, he was considered by many as the worst PM we've ever had. I don't see the fact that he was in the Conservative party, has any weight in the argument. Mulroney was considered by many to be the right hand man of Paul Desmarais, his mentor, the owner of Power Corp. Do you leave a spot like that to enter the uncertain world of politics? Not without lots and lots of backing.

The chart is almost 15 years old, I'll grant. Many here will decide it's fake news because it's originally from Levant and the Western Standard. It doesn't change history though. You'll find the same connections, if you delve deep enough into the individuals listed.

What it does show, is the way many politicians are intertwined with, probably, Canada's biggest corporation. Party affiliations be damned. There are leaders from every party, either fed or prov, working at PC. Before and after their political careers. A corporation that can influence employment, fuels, food, finances, media, insurance and other aspects of our everyday lives. A company that makes Prime Ministers. If you don't think their influence is that great, read about the oil for food scandal in the Middle East. It is the very small tip of the iceberg.

Attachments

• connectingchartPowercorp.jpg
    connectingchartPowercorp.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 104
"Will no one rid us of this turbulent AG?"

It's not difficult to apply pressure in the powerful circles in which people know how to listen between the lines.

Prepping for bigger/better things, perhaps?  This from JWR's page (PDF also attached in case link doesn't work for you)...
March 14, 2019

Dear Constituents of Vancouver Granville,

Over the past three and a half years, it has been my greatest privilege to serve you as your Member of Parliament. With your support, guidance, and participation we have achieved important things – and, of course, there is important work yet to be done. Currently, as has been publicly reported, I intend to stand for re-election as the Liberal candidate for the 2019 federal election.

Recent events have been a wake-up call for many across the country. These matters are still unfolding, and further clarity and information is needed. As in other places around the globe, our democratic institutions and norms – including the rule of law and prosecutorial independence – are under pressure. Collectively, and as individuals, we are challenged to respond.

Unsurprisingly, some responses to this challenge – including from some politicians and commentators – suggest this is simply the way things are, and the way things will always be.

This old, cynical view is wrong. We need never resign ourselves to the excuse that “this is just the way things are done.” Our country is built on a belief that we can, and must, continually do better. We will never be perfect, but we must always be striving to strengthen the foundations of diversity, inclusion, equality, and justice. When we are not doing that, we have truly lost our way.

This is why Canadians from coast to coast to coast have so inspired me in recent weeks. I found myself in a situation I never expected to be in. I was just doing my job, and I did not expect it to become a national focus. But you were paying attention – and with good reason – because this matter is serious, and some questions remain unanswered. And – importantly – your responses have motivated and intensified courageous action about doing politics differently.

Being different is a theme intimately connected to my work in politics. In asking you to elect me as your representative, I pledged to you that I would strive – as best I could – to act differently than we had increasingly been accustomed.

Before 2015 I had never been involved in federal or provincial politics, and had never been a member of a political party. My leadership experience before running to be your Member of Parliament had been in the Indigenous world, advocating for transformation in relations with Indigenous peoples and to do politics differently – less partisan and more open. As many of you know, in my cultural teachings we strive to work through consensus. While there are diverse views, tensions, and challenges, we do not entrench those in political parties, and we often frown on personal ambition. I have tried to bring this approach to Ottawa and will continue to do so.

During these recent events you have taught me so much about what a changed politics means. I have received over 10, 000 emails, texts, phone calls, cards, and letters from around the country expressing the vision, desire, and passion of Canadians to effect real and transformative change.

You are the true leaders who reject the increasing culture of conflict, empty partisanship, and cynical games that are far too common, and you are committed to building a culture of ever-greater collaboration, truth-seeking, and principled service for the well-being of Canada and all Canadians. Thank you.

I stand with you. Our collective goal is to encourage, support, and advance all lines of action that will help transform a political culture from being self-serving to service-oriented on behalf of all Canadians.

Beyond partisanship, spin, and image, there lies a politics of change that is driven forward by galvanizing our core values – regardless of political stripe – into concrete laws, policies and actions that support Canada as an ever-advancing society.

I look forward to continuing to advance this work with you, and with Canadians across the country. Let us continue to be engaged, stay true to principles and values we hold dear, and uphold each other as we all work to strengthen our communities and our institutions, knowing that each of our voices counts.

Thank you again for your outreach.

Respectfully,

Puglaas

Jody Wilson-Raybould, P.C., Q.C., M.P.

Member of Parliament for Vancouver Granville
Feel free to read the tea leaves there ...

Attachments

• JWRMPLetterVanGran-1.pdf
    261.4 KB · Views: 24
The events in NZ are a blessing for JT, they will double down on C-71 and use it to empower Blairs recommendations for further restrictions.

Liberal MP who led committee shutdown denies coverup, says it's time for 'shift' in SNC-Lavalin debate

Francis Drouin says he sees no reason to recall Jody Wilson-Raybould to committee

Kathleen Harris · CBC News · Posted: Mar 14, 2019 12:13 PM ET | Last Updated: 22 minutes ago

The Liberal MP who triggered the sudden adjournment of an emergency meeting of the Commons justice committee Wednesday insists there's been no attempt by the government to cover up the SNC-Lavalin affair, and says it's time to turn the page on the controversy.

Francis Drouin suggested the opposition Conservative and NDP members were playing politics by calling the meeting during March break, since a session to determine next steps had already been scheduled for Mar. 19.

The opposition members forced Wednesday's meeting to debate a motion to invite former justice minister and attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould back before the committee to testify for a second time about what she claims was a concerted effort by high-level government officials, including people in the Prime Minister's Office, to interfere with her decision to allow bribery charges against SNC-Lavalin to proceed to trial.

Drouin — who is not a member of the committee and was filling in for another MP who was unavailable — said he believes it's unnecessary to bring Wilson-Raybould back. He said she can provide the committee with a written statement and noted she's testified before the committee for nearly four hours already.

"I think I've heard enough," he said in an interview with CBC Radio's Ottawa Morning. "Ms. Wilson-Raybould has said, in response to Elizabeth May and Nathan Cullen, that nothing illegal was committed, nothing criminal was committed. So now the conversation has to shift between whether or not the attorney general and the minister of justice, those roles should be split."

More at link

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/drouin-liberal-snc-justice-committee-1.5056070

Back