• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Socks (merged)

Couldn't agree more.  Similar to what I stated waaaaaaayyyyy back on the first page about picking your WO's nose.....I bet you could, but I really wouldn't advise it.

Strike is correct - there are rules and norms in society.  Norms are the things that you are expected to know and ways that you are expected to act.  Like sitting in the corner of the mess hall, and slathering your belly with peanut butter.  No rule against that, specifically, but I really don't think it would be appropriate.

RDJP said:
Couldn't agree more.  Similar to what I stated waaaaaaayyyyy back on the first page about picking your WO's nose.....I bet you could, but I really wouldn't advise it.

Strike is correct - there are rules and norms in society.  Norms are the things that you are expected to know and ways that you are expected to act.  Like sitting in the corner of the mess hall, and slathering your belly with peanut butter.  No rule against that, specifically, but I really don't think it would be appropriate.

do you think wearing shoes without socks would be appropriate?
or more importantly, do you think it is inappropriate?

j_drews105 said:
do you think wearing shoes without socks would be appropriate?
or more importantly, do you think it is inappropriate?

Let's see.....how many people in there were wearing shoes without socks?  I didn't say that was inappropriate, I said there were norms in society.  The way that people are NORMALLY expected to behave.  And if you were one of the only ones not wearing socks, well, even kids who watch Sesame Street would be able to figure out which member in there wasn't dressed NORMALLY.  Cause all the members who were dressed NORMALLY would be wearing socks with shoes.

Seriously...did you miss something in Basic about not trying to be an individual?

Couple of facts:

Tons of people wear sports socks. You can barely see them. There is very little differentiation between that, and no socks.

Myself, and a number of others, have been in the dining hall numerous times all summer in shoes without socks, and no one has had a problem. I imagine if it was a hygenic issue or any other sort of issue the duty nco's would be told to look for this. Evidently that is not the case as there has not been a problem before all summer.

You aren't even meant to wear socks with my shoes because they have an inner liner.

When I take my socks off at the end of the day, they smell. I assume that same stink would transfer itself to my footwear if I wasn't wearing socks. Maybe it's just a grossness issue.
All messes are different - the last one I ate in required collared shirts, turtlenecks or ascots...I would have worn an ascot if I had found one on sale...

I don't know which society you live in, but in mine, socks are not normally worn with sandals.

There are some stupid rules around...  You either live with them or try to change them..  It depends how important the issue is to you vs the implication of trying to change it. 

Being in the military doesn't mean loosing your common sense and your critical sense.  There are times when to ask questions/clarifications.  Garrison is probably the best time for that...  In fact, I have all the time in the world for anybody who have question about why we do business a certain way.

recceguy said:
I don't see a long career of service in your future, thank goodness.

I got the same advice from you 5 years ago, I think I'm doing all right despite what you think!

I can't believe this "argument" is still going on. What do you have against wearing socks?  ???

j_drews105 said:
Tons of people wear bras. You can barely see them. There is very little differentiation between that, and no bras.

Using the same example...maybe you'll getnit this time.

As for you and all your buds going in without socks prior to today, just because you got away with it doesn't make it right.  Maybe someone complained and the duty NCO was told to keep a special eye out for offenders.

Now, enough people have argued your point.  Just because it's not the answer you want to hear doesn't make their posts wrong.  I would suggest you look at the numbers for and against your stance (remember, there are a couple of sarcastic ones that are actually against your post).  You are in the minority.  Suck it up, move on, and where your friggin' socks to the mess!

j_drews105 said:
Couple of facts:

Tons of people wear sports socks. You can barely see them. There is very little differentiation between that, and no socks.

Myself, and a number of others, have been in the dining hall numerous times all summer in shoes without socks, and no one has had a problem. I imagine if it was a hygenic issue or any other sort of issue the duty nco's would be told to look for this. Evidently that is not the case as there has not been a problem before all summer.

You aren't even meant to wear socks with my shoes because they have an inner liner.

Eww.

Yer a filthy little Billy.  Serious, I bet you rank up the shacks with you sweat soaked shoes, that have liners.  Buy a pack of sport socks, and be done with it.

dileas

tess

Jammer said:
...or checking that your socks in fact do match.

Careful, Jammer...a whole litter of kittens will d..d..d..die if you say his n..n..n..name!  :nod:

Why are we still talking about this?

BTW if this happened at H-33/Gagetown your school/unit RSM will be getting a nasty gram from the Base RSM.... Seen it happen a few times this year...

Take your lumps and go off....

NFLD Sapper said:
Why are we still talking about this?

BTW if this happened at H-33/Gagetown your school/unit RSM will be getting a nasty gram from the Base RSM.... Seen it happen a few times this year...

Take your lumps and go off....

For attempting to go into the mess without socks?
For asking for clarification on the rule?
Or for leaving when told to?

Guess the options are: (1) Get an apartment and eat wearing as much or as little clothing as you please; (2) Eat off Base, within the dress regs of whatever establishment you choose to visit; (3) Do as you're told and put some socks on; (4) Get out, since you obviously have an adjustment disorder and can't cope with something as simple as being told what to wear because you don't like it.

I'd suggest finding something more important to get upset about - believe me, there are plenty of things more disturbing about military life than being told to wear socks with your shoes when you eat.

MM

I think this horse has been sufficiently beaten. Locked, and I can assure you that you can't convince a staff member there's a worthwhile reason to open it.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of researching the "sock program" provided to the Canadian military.
Any input, opinions, feedback would be extremely helpful.
My company has been making socks for over 100 years and we are in the process of trying to develop socks specific to the needs and requirements of the Canadian soldiers.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Marty

Well, not much into socks but I will say from my experience that the newer green wool socks are a million times better than the old grey socks.!
Just sayin'....

:2c:

krustyrl said:
Well, not much into socks but I will say from my experience that the newer green wool socks are a million times better than the old grey socks.!
Just sayin'....

:2c:

That they are. Unfortunately, the green ones are now "were" and the "new" grey ones are available.

I love the knee high tan ones as they've been doubling as compression socks for me lately.

Back