• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Fishbone Jones said that "(Trudeau) is destroying the supply chain, with unneeded restrictions and mandates." Assumedly, he is referring to the new vaccination requirement, to enter Canada, placed on the trucking industry as of Saturday. It is likely to cause further strain on the already understaffed trucking industry, and lead to further supply chain disruptions in Canada... particularly if truckers start to protest.

He never said anything about destroying the "American supply chain", although it will undoubtedly have some negative impacts on Canadian exports to the U.S.

And protest they are. If you have travelling to do, plan ahead. The roads coming from east and west will be carrying convoys of trucks that are due to descend on Ottawa and Parliament Hill on the 23rd of January. There are waypoints all along the routes to collect and organize packets to join the main effort of hundreds and hundreds of trucks that have started their journey already. I wouldn't be surprised if most routes in and out of Ottawa will become completely plugged up and doing a good job of immobilizing transportation in the NCR.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
And protest they are. If you have travelling to do, plan ahead. The roads coming from east and west will be carrying convoys of trucks that are due to descend on Ottawa and Parliament Hill on the 23rd of January. There are waypoints all along the routes to collect and organize packets to join the main effort of hundreds and hundreds of trucks that have started their journey already. I wouldn't be surprised if most routes in and out of Ottawa will become completely plugged up and doing a good job of immobilizing transportation in the NCR.
Nobody is really on the road in Ottawa right now. Main bus and train are on different lines so maybe the 417 will be congested? That’s nothing new though.

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
My brother in law is big into that sort of thing. But he can never tell me what the agenda is or what the end goal is. Or what powers they have gained etc etc.

It’s surface arguments with nothing deeper.

I found an awesome response to the whole "this is an agenda' thing yesterday. Wish I had thought to copy and/or save it.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Lol, you’ve never been in Ottawa for a significant protest, have you?

First, protests here are super normal, especially on/near the hill. Most don’t care or notice.

Second, they almost always underperform expected numbers.

Third, truck protests are nothing new. They’ll clog up Wellington in front of Parliament for a couple hours, and probably jam up a few streets nearby, but that’s it.

Fourth: On a Sunday in January when everyone’s working from home anyway? Amateur hour. This will barely ‘disrupt’ anything meaningful anyway. Parliament doesn’t sit on weekends. The downtown core will be empty regardless- anyone living there seldom drives anyway, and on a non-work day traffic is never much anyway.

I’m skeptical that they’ll get many people out for this. There will be lots of ‘solidarity from afar’ (again, SOP for protests here), but far fewer willing to turn down paying work to drive to Ottawa and back home. The simply reality is the overwhelming majority are vaccinated anyway, and even most of those who aren’t have better things to do with their weekend. This is not going to tangibly impact anything in any significant way. They never do.

Remius said:
The truckers in Feb 2019.

Perfect example of a nothingburger. They snarled traffic a bit, but that was it. I was out and about downtown that day and still got through easily enough. At least they had the brains to try to disrupt downtown Ottawa on a weekday.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Lol, you’ve never been in Ottawa for a significant protest, have you?

First, protests here are super normal, especially on/near the hill. Most don’t care or notice.

Second, they almost always underperform expected numbers.

Third, truck protests are nothing new. They’ll clog up Wellington in front of Parliament for a couple hours, and probably jam up a few streets nearby, but that’s it.

Fourth: On a Sunday in January when everyone’s working from home anyway? Amateur hour. This will barely ‘disrupt’ anything meaningful anyway. Parliament doesn’t sit on weekends. The downtown core will be empty regardless- anyone living there seldom drives anyway, and on a non-work day traffic is never much anyway.

I’m skeptical that they’ll get many people out for this. There will be lots of ‘solidarity from afar’ (again, SOP for protests here), but far fewer willing to turn down paying work to drive to Ottawa and back home. The simply reality is the overwhelming majority are vaccinated anyway, and even most of those who aren’t have better things to do with their weekend. This is not going to tangibly impact anything in any significant way. They never do.

Perfect example of a nothingburger. They snarled traffic a bit, but that was it. I was out and about downtown that day and still got through easily enough. At least they had the brains to try to disrupt downtown Ottawa on a weekday.
The only disruptive experiences I’ve had in Ottawa was the bus strike a few years ago. And anytime a sitting president visits. If I know the POTUS is coming I take the day off lol. But protests? Barely notice them. I see them but the city is so used to them. There are so many alternate routes in and out of the downtown core either way including public transit that can’t really be affected too much.

And with the current work from policies I doubt this will register beyond the 1 min news story on local news. As far as local disruption is concerned.

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
My brother in law is big into that sort of thing. But he can never tell me what the agenda is or what the end goal is.

“Those who say don’t know, and those who know don’t say.”

suffolkowner

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
I don't know why the Canadian government had to jump the gun on the American border rules by 1 week. Just causes a needless problem