• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

HiTechComms

Reaction score
As I recall if your chute looks like a bag of dirty laundry, you cut it away:

Thousands of B.C. health-care workers off the job as vaccination deadline passes​

New vaccine rules now in effect in B.C.​

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix said more than 4,000 workers in the health-care system failed to get even one dose of COVID-19 vaccine before a deadline imposed by public health officials, and will be placed on unpaid leave.

The announcement came as part of a health briefing. Dix said the latest numbers available to the ministry showed of 126,343 workers, 4,090 weren't vaccinated.

Although he says the final numbers are being tallied and some of those include casual workers, thousands of workers are off the job at a time when the health-care system is under immense strain.

Got to admit they stood for their principals, they paid for their stance with consequences. The system owes them nothing and they owe the system nothing.

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score

Thousands of B.C. health-care workers off the job as vaccination deadline passes​

Looks like they are suspended, but not, yet, terminated.

If unvaccinated workers get a first dose before Nov. 15, they can start work seven days after that shot, but must wear PPE and take other precautions until they get their second dose. Their second shot must be no more than 35 days after the first.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score

New vaccine rules now in effect in B.C.​

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix said more than 4,000 workers in the health-care system failed to get even one dose of COVID-19 vaccine before a deadline imposed by public health officials, and will be placed on unpaid leave.

Oh look a warning order for the military.

Last edited:

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Edit. I see you edited your post to include "military".

So, disregard mine.

Last edited:

Quirky

Reaction score
Oh look a warning order for the military.
Ours will be a long drawn out process that will entail DLN courses, briefs by medical staff and questionnaires on why members didn’t vaccinate. LWOP and firing people in the forces is too much of a chore.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Ours will be a long drawn out process that will entail DLN courses, briefs by medical staff and questionnaires on why members didn’t vaccinate. LWOP and firing people in the forces is too much of a chore.
I meant to suggest we'll be sending troops to BC to help their health care system that just lost a few thousand.

PuckChaser

Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you Healthcare heroes, now don't let the door hit you on the way out, you filthy creatures.

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
I guess every organization has contingincy plans.

My former employer cancelled vacations, mandated OT, and reassigned able bodied desk jockies back into operations.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
I meant to suggest we'll be sending troops to BC to help their health care system that just lost a few thousand.

I doubt it. We probably don't have a fraction of the numbers of skilled medical professionals needed to fill those jobs IIRC:

‘Significant and solemn day’: Nearly 6,000 BC healthcare workers fired or suspended without pay​

Today is a monumental day for British Columbia’s healthcare system.

Across the province, nearly 6,000 healthcare workers are being fired or suspended without pay for refusing to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

Around 1,800 of them are long-term care or acute care workers who were suspended without pay on Oct. 12 and had two weeks to get their first dose before their employment was terminated.

They have now been laid off without any kind of severance.

The rest are employees of the broader healthcare system, who had until today to get their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Anyone who has yet to do that will be suspended without pay and will have their employment terminated as well if they do not get a first shot by Nov. 15.

If they do get their first vaccination before that date, they will be able to resume working seven days after their shot, with extra protective measures in place until they are fully vaccinated.

Health Minister Adrian Dix provided a breakdown on how many of the province’s 126,343 general healthcare workers remain unvaccinated or partially vaccinated.
He expects these numbers to change in the coming days as more data becomes available:
  • British Columbia-wide: 4,090 unvaccinated, 2,626 partially vaccinated
  • Interior Health: 1,369 unvaccinated (7%)
  • Northern Health: 376 unvaccinated (5%)
  • Island Health: 678 unvaccinated (3%)
  • Fraser Health: 644 unvaccinated (2%)
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: 522 unvaccinated (2%)
  • Providence Health: 122 unvaccinated (2%)
  • Provincial Health Services: 496 unvaccinated (2%)

Dix called it a “significant and solemn day,” but said that the requirement to get vaccinated “is an absolute necessity in our healthcare system.”
“We know the impact on people and on families and we are hopeful that people will still take the opportunity to get vaccinated…and will be able to return to work.”

Dix said the impacts will be seen throughout BC, with areas like diagnostic imaging or labs being hit harder, and this is something that the Ministry of Health has been preparing for.

Interior Health, which has the highest rate of unvaccinated healthcare workers, could see some surgeries postponed in the coming days, but the minister said adjustments will be made to deal with that and support the regions that need it.

BC’s top doctor, Dr. Bonnie Henry echoed those comments from Dix and said that health officials will be looking at other areas of the system to supplement areas of the Interior where there are shortages on a temporary basis.

“It is so disruptive and detrimental to care when we have outbreaks in hospitals as we have a couple in the Interior right now,” she explained. “That is the reason why we have this vaccine mandate in place.”

BC has 9,229 base beds in its healthcare system and 8,817 are currently filled, with 410 of 2,553 surge beds currently being used as well.
In critical care, 440 of 510 base beds are currently occupied, as are 25 of 218 surge beds.

Dix said “we are exceptionally busy,” and that these numbers reflect all the actions being used to manage the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the healthcare system.

That includes the 67 people in critical care that have been transferred out of Northern Health, mostly to Vancouver Island, and base bed capacity being over 100% in Interior Health at the moment.

The health minister added that it continues to be unvaccinated COVID-19 patients that make up the majority of people in critical care due to the virus.

At this time, 133 of 155 people in critical care due to COVID-19 are unvaccinated, which includes 42 of 43 people under the age of 50.

HiTechComms

Reaction score
Heckuva hiring opportunity for places that have decided to be less draconian.
Where there is anarchy there is opertunity. I remember my American Economics Professor on 9/15 saying there are a lot of Economics grads needed in NY. Pretty grimm but he was 100% correct.

Its why I have a lot of investments in LTC companies. Gone be a gold mine for the next 15 years.

Kat Stevens

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I doubt it. We probably don't have a fraction of the numbers of skilled medical professionals needed to fill those jobs IIRC:

‘Significant and solemn day’: Nearly 6,000 BC healthcare workers fired or suspended without pay​

Today is a monumental day for British Columbia’s healthcare system.

Across the province, nearly 6,000 healthcare workers are being fired or suspended without pay for refusing to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

Around 1,800 of them are long-term care or acute care workers who were suspended without pay on Oct. 12 and had two weeks to get their first dose before their employment was terminated.

They have now been laid off without any kind of severance.

The rest are employees of the broader healthcare system, who had until today to get their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Anyone who has yet to do that will be suspended without pay and will have their employment terminated as well if they do not get a first shot by Nov. 15.

If they do get their first vaccination before that date, they will be able to resume working seven days after their shot, with extra protective measures in place until they are fully vaccinated.

Health Minister Adrian Dix provided a breakdown on how many of the province’s 126,343 general healthcare workers remain unvaccinated or partially vaccinated.
He expects these numbers to change in the coming days as more data becomes available:
  • British Columbia-wide: 4,090 unvaccinated, 2,626 partially vaccinated
  • Interior Health: 1,369 unvaccinated (7%)
  • Northern Health: 376 unvaccinated (5%)
  • Island Health: 678 unvaccinated (3%)
  • Fraser Health: 644 unvaccinated (2%)
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: 522 unvaccinated (2%)
  • Providence Health: 122 unvaccinated (2%)
  • Provincial Health Services: 496 unvaccinated (2%)

Dix called it a “significant and solemn day,” but said that the requirement to get vaccinated “is an absolute necessity in our healthcare system.”
“We know the impact on people and on families and we are hopeful that people will still take the opportunity to get vaccinated…and will be able to return to work.”

Dix said the impacts will be seen throughout BC, with areas like diagnostic imaging or labs being hit harder, and this is something that the Ministry of Health has been preparing for.

Interior Health, which has the highest rate of unvaccinated healthcare workers, could see some surgeries postponed in the coming days, but the minister said adjustments will be made to deal with that and support the regions that need it.

BC’s top doctor, Dr. Bonnie Henry echoed those comments from Dix and said that health officials will be looking at other areas of the system to supplement areas of the Interior where there are shortages on a temporary basis.

“It is so disruptive and detrimental to care when we have outbreaks in hospitals as we have a couple in the Interior right now,” she explained. “That is the reason why we have this vaccine mandate in place.”

BC has 9,229 base beds in its healthcare system and 8,817 are currently filled, with 410 of 2,553 surge beds currently being used as well.
In critical care, 440 of 510 base beds are currently occupied, as are 25 of 218 surge beds.

Dix said “we are exceptionally busy,” and that these numbers reflect all the actions being used to manage the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the healthcare system.

That includes the 67 people in critical care that have been transferred out of Northern Health, mostly to Vancouver Island, and base bed capacity being over 100% in Interior Health at the moment.

The health minister added that it continues to be unvaccinated COVID-19 patients that make up the majority of people in critical care due to the virus.

At this time, 133 of 155 people in critical care due to COVID-19 are unvaccinated, which includes 42 of 43 people under the age of 50.

Six months to go from "front line heroes!" to "burn the heretics!". That's gotta be some kind of record.

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score

Based on the relatively small sample size of the "I'm not getting vax'ed" health workers that I've met, I would not be surprised to learn that a disproportionate number of these healthcare workers are not skilled medical professionals so much as they are administrators, orderlies, janitors, and stock-keepers. This may be less of a healthcare crisis and more of an employment opportunity for recent high school graduates.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Based on the relatively small sample size of the "I'm not getting vax'ed" health workers that I've met, I would not be surprised to learn that a disproportionate number of these healthcare workers are not skilled medical professionals so much as they are administrators, orderlies, janitors, and stock-keepers. This may be less of a healthcare crisis and more of an employment opportunity for recent high school graduates.

Nope. It's the full range apparently:

Hundreds of unvaccinated Island Health workers fired for missing deadline​

Of those workers, 119,627 have received two or more doses while 2,626 remain partially vaccinated. However, 4,090 healthcare workers in B.C. remain unvaccinated.

Within Island Health, 678 workers are not vaccinated, representing just three per cent of the total workforce of 23,000 workers.

That includes nurses, doctors, care aides, and those working in administration.

While 97 per cent of doctors working in hospitals and clinics run by the health authorities are vaccinated, the province is working to extend the vaccine mandate to include those working in private practices, according to the President of Doctors of BC, Dr. Matthew Chow.

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Where there is anarchy there is opertunity.
Might not be that dramatic.

For now, it's a suspension. Still weeks away from anyone getting fired. At least with the employer I am familiar with. YMMV

After the unpaid suspension, on December 13, if staff do not provide proof that they are fully vaccinated, their employment will be terminated for cause as they will have chosen not to comply with the mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.

Eaglelord17

Reaction score
Thank you Healthcare heroes, now don't let the door hit you on the way out, you filthy creatures.
Got the Knights Templar treatment, one day your the hero, next day your being hung.
Might not be that dramatic.

For now, it's a suspension. Still weeks away from anyone getting fired. At least with the employer I am familiar with. YMMV
They better provide severance to anyone fired. This is the government changing the terms of employment. If the employee refuses to abide by the new terms they better be given their severance like anyone else fired from a job.

Reactions: QV

HiTechComms

Reaction score
Got the Knights Templar treatment, one day your the hero, next day your being hung.

They better provide severance to anyone fired. This is the government changing the terms of employment. If the employee refuses to abide by the new terms they better be given their severance like anyone else fired from a job.
Under common law you are not allowed to change the terms of employment after the employee started. Master Servant relationship is pretty heavily codified. Granted this doesn't change if you have a vaccine clause in the original contract.

Yes I believe you would be able to sue on these grounds and be eligible for severance and its not just a normal severance either. In addition to certain conditions such as position and economic outlook you can sue for much higher amounts. The more skilled you are the more you can demand and you will get it. Its not unheard of to get 3-7 times more then what is actually under the law. Employees are well protected under Canadian labour law. I would get a labour lawyer right away.

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
A labour lawyer said, "Unionized employees will have to look to their union reps for their rights."

Whatever they are. 🤷‍♂️