• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Interesting....

One young journalist's experience writing obituaries for COVID-19 victims​

Tess Jieun Ha: Reaching out to people who lost loved ones to COVID-19 was a daunting assignment. But having the opportunity to describe the rich lives of Asian Canadians was an honour.

A short obituary for Kyu-Chin “Jim” Hahn was published in a Korean-language newspaper called the Korea Times Daily. I called the newspaper, and the reporter I spoke with generously reached out to Jim’s son and put the two of us in touch. His son, Bob, called me a few days later. There was no hiding that I was nervous during the phone call, but Bob remained calm and gentle throughout the conversation. We agreed that email would be the best way for us to communicate; I would send him questions and he’d write me long replies talking about his dad’s 90 years of life. I also found an autobiography Jim wrote for the alumni website of Seoul National University’s faculty of agriculture. I learned that he pursued agriculture at a young age with dreams of helping developing countries prosper; he achieved the dream when he became a UN consultant. I learned that he immigrated to Canada because, as a veteran of the Korean War, he didn’t want his children to experience war the way he had. I felt grief for his unfortunate death and I began to feel passionate about sharing people’s stories.

Quirky

Reaction score

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Its almost like viruses mutate to become more virulent but less potent until they become a common cold.

Kilted

Reaction score
Josh Duncan April 13, 2021

A Kelowna gym has announced that it won’t be taking new membership applications from anyone who’s received a COVID-19 vaccine until 2023 at the earliest.

Flow Academy offers classes in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, kickboxing, yoga, meditation and more, but for the foreseeable future those classes will only be available to those who haven’t been vaccinated.

A notice on the membership section of the gym’s website explains the decision.

“This decision was made after much discussion with other health, wellness and fitness-related facilities across Canada (both public and private), as well as liability insurance companies,” the message reads.

“To put it simply, the unknown health effects of the mRNA vaccines, as well as reported side effects such as viral shedding, seizures and death following the administration of these vaccines, are not covered by our liability.”

Interior Health is familiar with the gym, as the health authority said it has already issued an order and ticket to Flow Academy on back-to-back days in February for not complying with public health orders.

In a statement to NowMedia, IH expressed its disagreement with the gym’s stance on vaccinations.

“There is no public health basis for a policy excluding people who are immunized against COVID-19,” the statement explained. “Immunization prevents the spread of disease and protects patrons and staff.”

Flow Academy said that it will re-evaluate the policy "when clinical trials of this experimental injection are completed in 2023.”

NowMedia has reached out to the gym for further comment but we have not yet received a reply.
Given the number of protected grounds that make an individual more at risk of Covid, I think that a human rights challenge to this would be successful. It also might be in the Federal/Provincial governments best interests to introduce specific legislation addressing this.

Mick

Reaction score
Its almost like viruses mutate to become more virulent but less potent until they become a common cold.
The article doesn't say the variant is any less "potent"... just that the resultant COVID-19 is not more severe.

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
The article doesn't say the variant is any less "potent"... just that the resultant COVID-19 is not more severe.
Right, and depending on your age group COVID-19 isn't severe at all. Almost like the ICU stats doubling for younger Canadians meme. If you double an incredibly low number, it's still an incredibly low number. Remember, despite under 60 years being 80.6% of the cases nationally, they're only 30.6% of the hospitalizations and 4.3% of case fatalities.

My age group (30 to 39) has a 1.8% chance of hospitalization, a 0.2% chance of ICU admission and a 0.005% chance of dying. My risk level is significantly higher jumping out of airplanes, fast roping from helicopters or driving around in rusty LSVWs at work. We've all been gaslit to believe COVID is equally deadly for everyone, when it's incredibly age-skewed and now individuals can no longer make rational judgements on risk. Just look at the AZ vaccine issues. You've got a higher chance to get into a fatal car accident driving to your vaccination appointment than getting a blood clot, but entire countries are shutting down its use.

Mick

Reaction score
Right, and depending on your age group COVID-19 isn't severe at all. Almost like the ICU stats doubling for younger Canadians meme. If you double an incredibly low number, it's still an incredibly low number. Remember, despite under 60 years being 80.6% of the cases nationally, they're only 30.6% of the hospitalizations and 4.3% of case fatalities.

My age group (30 to 39) has a 1.8% chance of hospitalization, a 0.2% chance of ICU admission and a 0.005% chance of dying. My risk level is significantly higher jumping out of airplanes, fast roping from helicopters or driving around in rusty LSVWs at work. We've all been gaslit to believe COVID is equally deadly for everyone, when it's incredibly age-skewed and now individuals can no longer make rational judgements on risk. Just look at the AZ vaccine issues. You've got a higher chance to get into a fatal car accident driving to your vaccination appointment than getting a blood clot, but entire countries are shutting down its use.
First of all, really good post.

I'm in the same age group as you - I think a lot of us are aware that the risks to ourselves are quite small, even if we contract the virus. That said, I am aware of the greater risk associated with passing it on to older / higher-risk loved ones.

While the article states that the associated disease is no more severe, the fact that the virus is more easily transmissible and is found in a greater number of younger people is concerning.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score

Here in Manitoba when a younger person (20-45 ish) dies its huge news and our provincial powers tut tut us about gathering etc. What is not reported is the co morbidity and underlying health issues the individuals had.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Well in some cases, those countries halting the astra vaccine have enough of the other vaccines. So the halting it’s use is no big deal. For some though they likely should risk manage. Nobody is being gas lit for anything. Not sure what you read or where you get your info.

They’ve been pretty upfront about who and what age group gets affected more severely and who is at risk.

Where have the experts once said it is deadly in equal measures for everyone?

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
First of all, really good post.

I'm in the same age group as you - I think a lot of us are aware that the risks to ourselves are quite small, even if we contract the virus. That said, I am aware of the greater risk associated with passing it on to older / higher-risk loved ones.

While the article states that the associated disease is no more severe, the fact that the virus is more easily transmissible and is found in a greater number of younger people is concerning.
If the Government and media had focused on the risk to others instead of pushing a blanket 5% Case Fatality Rate for everyone narrative, I really think there'd be a lot less vaccine hesitancy and acceptance of reduction of social gatherings that are causing spread. When all everyone hears is doom and gloom that's not reflected in the actual science, they start to ignore measures designed to protect everyone and default back to "screw those old guys, I'll do what I want".

Mick

Reaction score
If the Government and media had focused on the risk to others instead of pushing a blanket 5% Case Fatality Rate for everyone narrative, I really think there'd be a lot less vaccine hesitancy and acceptance of reduction of social gatherings that are causing spread. When all everyone hears is doom and gloom that's not reflected in the actual science, they start to ignore measures designed to protect everyone and default back to "screw those old guys, I'll do what I want".
I'm not sure I follow your link between media coverage and vaccine hesitancy, although I would agree that AZ reporting is over-emphasizing the minute risk of blood-clots, which is not helpful.

I suggest that those who think "screw those old guys" would be thinking that way regardless of what the public health officials are saying / recommending.

While public health recommendations have certainly changed over the past year, I think the message has been pretty consistent: restrictions are to safeguard the healthcare system and protect those most at-risk.

I do think that the various governments could have communicated how restrictions achieve that goal much more clearly.

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow your link between media coverage and vaccine hesitancy, although I would agree that AZ reporting is over-emphasizing the minute risk of blood-clots, which is not helpful.
It's not overt, but gaslighting never is. Canadians really don't trust media https://www.cbc.ca/news/editorsblog/editor-blog-trust-1.5936535, so those folks who keep seeing news articles about how serious COVID is to the younger generation tend not to trust the information. If they automatically assume the opposite of what's stated in the article, then those folks are going to lean towards not needing the vaccine.

I do think our Public Health team messaging has been fairly clear (not wavering and overly politicized like the US), it's the media making clickbait news articles out of tragedies that muddies the waters. They should have just reported what Public Health officials were saying, instead of trying to find a new alarmist with a MD every day to make another article about the end of the world. It's even more evident now with the variant news reporting that younger folks are making a huge jump in ICU cases, but there's been 2 studies from France in the Lancet completely debunking that myth.

Mick

Reaction score
I do think our Public Health team messaging has been fairly clear (not wavering and overly politicized like the US), it's the media making clickbait news articles out of tragedies that muddies the waters. They should have just reported what Public Health officials were saying, instead of trying to find a new alarmist with a MD every day to make another article about the end of the world. It's even more evident now with the variant news reporting that younger folks are making a huge jump in ICU cases, but there's been 2 studies from France in the Lancet completely debunking that myth.
I agree that the public messaging can get lost in over-reporting. I'm sure there is "COVID fatigue" due to non-stop coverage.

While the 2 Lancet studies debunk alleged increased mortality and increased severity of symptoms associated with B.1.1.7, they do confirm that this variant is more transmissible.

Logically, a more transmissible virus will lead to more infection, and proportionally, more ICU admissions.

Interestingly, lockdowns seem to be somewhat effective. Of course, I could be wrong in my interpretation.

"Emerging evidence exists of increased transmissibility of B.1.1.7, and we found increased virus load by proxy for B.1.1.7 in our data. We did not identify an association of the variant with severe disease in this hospitalised cohort." DEFINE_ME

"In summary, after examining the effect of the proportion of infections with the SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.7 variant on COVID-19 symptoms, disease course, rates of reinfection, and transmissibility in the UK, we found no change in symptoms or their duration. Reinfections were rare (0·7% of app users) and there was no evidence of increased reinfection rates associated with the prevalence of the B.1.1.7 variant. We found an increase in Rt for the B.1.1.7 variant, but Rt fell below 1 during lockdown, even in regions with very high (>80%) proportions of infections with the B.1.1.7 variant." DEFINE_ME

edit: the links to The Lancet reports seem to work, despite how they appear

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Right, but the increase in ICU admissions would still follow the same curve skewed towards the 60+ crowd because the severity hasn't changed between Wuhan virus and UK variant. At the end of the day, cases only indicate transmissibility and shouldn't be looked at in a vacuum. It matters more about who gets COVID, not how many alone, because that's the real indicator of stress being placed on the system.

Mick

Reaction score
At the end of the day, cases only indicate transmissibility and shouldn't be looked at in a vacuum. It matters more about who gets COVID, not how many alone, because that's the real indicator of stress being placed on the system.
I agree with the quote above....however....if B.1.1.7 follows the same curve as the original virus, that means more people in all age and risk groups will be infected, and more demand will be placed on the system, even if it is just more people from a few specific demographic

If ON is asking for healthcare workers from other provinces to bolster their stressed system, I'd say doom and gloom is probably justified in that province, at least for now.

Bruce Monkhouse

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
When one of those Govts most important priority is not appearing racist its easy to see the problem.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
That’s a big deal...

India’s Heath System has Collapsed

“We have collapsed, Maharashtra is sinking and other states will follow.”
The starkness of these words from Dr Jalil Parkar, a top pulmonologist in Mumbai’s Lilavati Hospital, silenced me in a way that little has through 2020 and 2021, when most of my journalistic energy has been spent on reporting the Covid crisis on the ground. “This is worse than World War Two,” Parkar said, lashing out in rage and hurt at how doctors and health workers are still targeted by angry and distraught families as well as armchair commentators “who sit behind their laptops and in their ivory towers”.