• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

suffolkowner

Reaction score
I haven't read the article above but the Sputnik V is a 2 viral vector vaccine. With the first dose from one adenovirus vector and the second by another. They are both delivering the full spike protein as far as I know.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
I wasn’t implying race...my parents are in Mississauga and they’re WASPs, but I was indirectly pointing out that Peel Region in particular has community transfer issues.
To put the City of Mississauga in perspective, it's the sixth most populous municipality in Canada.

( Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa and Edmonton are bigger. )

That is Mississauga only, and does not include the rest of Peel Region ( Brampton and Caledon ).

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
This.

My wife, two sons and myself are currently at home with positive COVID tests. My 20yr old had contact with an individual who decided not to self isolate while waiting for the results of their own COVID test (and also didn't feel it necessary to tell anyone that they had been tested due to close contact with a positive individual). As a result six people this individual had contact with tested positive (including my son) and many more then forced to self-isolate due to close contact (including my wife, older son and myself).

While in isolation in our home and with our youngest confined to his room, despite our best precautions (masking, regular cleaning, social distancing, etc.) the rest of us developed symptoms and tested positive. Fortunately my wife was already working from home full time and there was only one day that my older son and I were at work before we learned of the possible exposure (we're also both very careful to always wear our masks and socially distance at work) so there was no further spread from our grouping. No idea how far the spread went from the other five people originally exposed.

We're lucky that our symptoms have been pretty mild but this is an excellent example of how individuals not following the rules can have a large impact on the community around them. You may not like the rules, but if people actually followed them we wouldn't have to keep going through these cycles of lockdown and re-opening.
Big problem in Ottawa are organised sports teams. Too many are car pooling to practice and games and then players and parents gather after events. Then they complain that little Johnny is suffering because he’ll never make then NHL if he can’t play.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Big problem in Ottawa are organised sports teams. Too many are car pooling to practice and games and then players and parents gather after events. Then they complain that little Johnny is suffering because he’ll never make then NHL if he can’t play.
I wonder what Canadians who suffered the hardships of the Depression and the war would think of that.

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
To put the City of Mississauga in perspective, it's the sixth most populous municipality in Canada.

( Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa and Edmonton are bigger. )

That is Mississauga only, and does not include the rest of Peel Region ( Brampton and Caledon ).
My follow-up point was directed to the issue that inferences about racial grouping in a Region was NOT my intention posting the original COVID heat-map of Ontario, but rather the Region (Peel/Mississauga) that showed as a relative (per 100,000 pop) was a notable high-rate outlier, and so worthy of being directly (and repeatedly) addressed by whomever, Premier, Health O, etc. until those areas improve.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
My follow-up point was directed to the issue that inferences about racial grouping in a Region was NOT my intention posting the original COVID heat-map of Ontario, but rather the Region (Peel/Mississauga) that showed as a relative (per 100,000 pop) was a notable high-rate outlier, and so worthy of being directly (and repeatedly) addressed by whomever, Premier, Health O, etc. until those areas improve.
Oh, I'm sure we all know that wasn't your intent.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
My intent was only to comment on how much Mississauga has grown in the years I have been familiar it. No offence intended.

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
My intent was only to comment on how much Mississauga has grown in the years I have been familiar it. No offence intended.
All good...I was just confused to the size reference of Mississauga, because the data was already normalized to ‘per 100,000.’ Others trying to specifically racialize the community-spread in the Region was offside IMO, and detract.

I think it’s still fair to call out a geographic region for two reasons: 1) it may make people in that region think twice about meeting in larger groups; and 2) may help others who are complying fully, adjust their own patterns to reduce the likelihood of exposure from those who don’t care about 1).

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in Victoria....

Jack Knox: It’s unsafe, mental-health workers say, as VicPD cuts community-team cop​

It’s not just their own safety being put at risk, the women say. It’s the well-being of the vulnerable people they serve.

Will Victoria’s ACT teams even be able to keep working with some of their more volatile clients? Will the change push them toward crisis

What they’re talking about is a decision to remove two of the three Victoria police officers attached to local mental-health teams. The move, effective May 1, has some current and former team members sounding the alarm.

But Victoria Police Chief Del Manak replies that he has no choice but to reassign the officers, due to the decision of Victoria city council, backed by the province, not to fund the effort.

At question are the four multi-disciplinary teams — they include psychiatric nurses, addiction-recovery workers, registered nurses and social workers, among others — tasked with caring for 340 people whose severe mental illness is often compounded by substance abuse.

Most of the time, the ACT — or Assertive Community Treatment — team members don’t need police around, but occasionally they do. Sometimes there are buildings health workers don’t feel safe entering alone, and sometimes the clients themselves are at a point where a dampening presence is required. Experience shows things go more smoothly when the cop who shows up is out of uniform and already has a relationship with the client.

Bruce Monkhouse

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Overlaying that map over towns its not hard to figure out the demographic living in those areas. It's almost like living in packed subdivisions won't do a damn thing controlling the spread of respiratory illnesses. Do you really believe they are following health advise for mask wearing and distancing in those cities. Our soft stance on political correctness is going to prolong this nonsense in never ending waves. Has Doug Ford actually called out, publicly, specific areas like Brampton or Mississauga vise regions, or will that be deemed racist.
i think its this post that is being played with....

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Are folks implying my post was racist?

Definitely not me. I have questions about this one, which have gone unanswered:

Overlaying that map over towns its not hard to figure out the demographic living in those areas. It's almost like living in packed subdivisions won't do a damn thing controlling the spread of respiratory illnesses. Do you really believe they are following health advise for mask wearing and distancing in those cities. Our soft stance on political correctness is going to prolong this nonsense in never ending waves. Has Doug Ford actually called out, publicly, specific areas like Brampton or Mississauga vise regions, or will that be deemed racist.

Some lack of clarity around which 'demographic', and who 'they' are.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score

Jack Knox: It’s unsafe, mental-health workers say, as VicPD cuts community-team cop​

It’s not just their own safety being put at risk, the women say. It’s the well-being of the vulnerable people they serve.

Will Victoria’s ACT teams even be able to keep working with some of their more volatile clients? Will the change push them toward crisis

What they’re talking about is a decision to remove two of the three Victoria police officers attached to local mental-health teams. The move, effective May 1, has some current and former team members sounding the alarm.

But Victoria Police Chief Del Manak replies that he has no choice but to reassign the officers, due to the decision of Victoria city council, backed by the province, not to fund the effort.

At question are the four multi-disciplinary teams — they include psychiatric nurses, addiction-recovery workers, registered nurses and social workers, among others — tasked with caring for 340 people whose severe mental illness is often compounded by substance abuse.

Most of the time, the ACT — or Assertive Community Treatment — team members don’t need police around, but occasionally they do. Sometimes there are buildings health workers don’t feel safe entering alone, and sometimes the clients themselves are at a point where a dampening presence is required. Experience shows things go more smoothly when the cop who shows up is out of uniform and already has a relationship with the client.

Replied in Emergency Services.

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Are folks implying my post was racist?
Nope. Not you at all.

I was being more general, but our resident ‘let the old people die, they’ve had their time’ member who appeared to be leaning towards outing a specific racial group for bad COVID behaviour.

Regards
G2G

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Ottawa has a few stupid incidents over the weekend. Things got violent at Mooney’s Bay beach and a house party in stittsville. By law issued some 400 tickets over the weekend.

We’re our own worst enemies.

And now the Ford government’s confused messaging on schools closing again.

cavalryman

Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Ottawa has a few stupid incidents over the weekend. Things got violent at Mooney’s Bay beach and a house party in stittsville. By law issued some 400 tickets over the weekend.
Such as three young women doing 182 kph on the 417 heading for a party in the west end... No party, no car, driver gets a speeding ticket and all three get a no-stay-at-home ticket. If you're going to flip the bird at the regs, at least don't tempt fate with stunt driving on the most highly watched piece of roadway in the NCR.

Messerschmitt

Reaction score

But #support all political motivated actions including de-funding the police and BLM!

In other news

But no seriously, I support! BLM is clearly not a pure political supported movement and all about equality. I mean I'm sure her 1.4 mil house is bottom of the barrel in that neighbourhood filled with whites who's most houses are significantly more expensive, therefore she is repressed since she can't have a house just as expensive as all those whites filled with privileges.