• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
It's nice to see people having large get togethers and parties are being or going to be tickets more.

How do homeless people fit in the picture wrt fines and such?

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Best wishes to you & your family for a full recovery. And thank you for being responsible where others are not. I know folks working in public health and they are long past overwhelmed.

If you want an example of how badly things can go with spread, look at the Mega Gym outbreak in Quebec - as of late last week there were over 500 infections and one death connected with the outbreak (linked article is from earlier in the week when there were "only" 419 infections).

Amen to that!

Meanwhile, on Vancouver Island, the third wave of reckoning is nigh....

Third wave of COVID-19 crashes over Vancouver Island

After escaping the brunt of COVID-19 illnesses and fatalities for most of last year, the third wave of the pandemic is now starting to strain public health workers in the Island Health region.

Public health leaders on Vancouver Island say they expect case numbers to keep rising, due to an influx of travellers from the Lower Mainland over Easter long weekend, among other factors.

The Island has seen cases skyrocket from what has been a consistently low number throughout the pandemic.

“We continue to be at almost 70 [cases] a day rate, which is literally triple of what we were seeing 10 days ago,” said Island Health Chief Medical Health Officer, Dr. Richard Stanwick, in an interview with Capital Daily.

From vacationers to variants to overly optimistic government strategies, there is plenty of blame to go around. We took a step back to understand what is happening on the Island and what to expect in the coming weeks.

Seasonal workers and vacationers​

One unexpected demographic Stanwick blamed for the increase in traffic: tourism-industry employees leaving closed-down Whistler for Tofino.

“When Whistler [Blackcomb Ski resort] was closed...many of these individuals needed employment and one of the traditional corridors, in terms of the workforce, is between Tofino and Whistler,” Stanwick said.

“So we actually saw a number of individuals moving from the closed down Whistler to Tofino over the long weekend. Unfortunately, with the high rates of the P1 [variant recorded in Whistler], we anticipate that we will see a continued rise in the P1 cases [in the Island Health region].”

Surf shops and hotels in Tofino contacted by Capital Daily confirmed that seasonal employees have started to arrive for the summer season, many from Whistler in particular.

Tofino Mayor Dan Lan said there is concern in the town about the influx, and what it means for businesses trying to balance staying open and keep their employees and customers safe. There have been outbreaks earlier in the season that he says were quickly contained—but the new arrivals are coming from higher-risk parts of the province.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Ditto. Last time was Bonaire in early Jan 2020.

This might be the nudge I need to upgrade to a new BCD with integrated weights and getting my ass back underwater.

BC's West Coast is the divers' equivalent of Mecca and I'm walking by it every day....

Quirky

Reaction score
but the Province isn’t at the point to call them out for their bad behaviour...yet, but it’s well-known who they are...

Overlaying that map over towns its not hard to figure out the demographic living in those areas. It's almost like living in packed subdivisions won't do a damn thing controlling the spread of respiratory illnesses. Do you really believe they are following health advise for mask wearing and distancing in those cities. Our soft stance on political correctness is going to prolong this nonsense in never ending waves. Has Doug Ford actually called out, publicly, specific areas like Brampton or Mississauga vise regions, or will that be deemed racist.

Bruce Monkhouse

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
You can be racist against areas because of the density of the population?? Huh...

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Overlaying that map over towns its not hard to figure out the demographic living in those areas. It's almost like living in packed subdivisions won't do a damn thing controlling the spread of respiratory illnesses. Do you really believe they are following health advise for mask wearing and distancing in those cities. Our soft stance on political correctness is going to prolong this nonsense in never ending waves. Has Doug Ford actually called out, publicly, specific areas like Brampton or Mississauga vise regions, or will that be deemed racist.
Sorry, I’m confused. Who’s ‘they’? Which demographic is living in those areas? I’m not following.

GR66

Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes. I think our situation shows that fighting this really requires a full team effort. We took the rules seriously and did the things we were asked to do without (much) complaint and all it took was one person in the community not taking it seriously to infect our whole family and a raft of other people.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes. I think our situation shows that fighting this really requires a full team effort. We took the rules seriously and did the things we were asked to do without (much) complaint and all it took was one person in the community not taking it seriously to infect our whole family and a raft of other people.
Sorry, I missed your reply. All the best through this, and here’s hoping you and yours make a fast and full recovery.

Kirkhill

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
A (European) Commission official involved in negotiations of vaccines for the EU acknowledged that Britain’s experience is an “interesting microcosm of some of the kind of ... opportunities and risks.”

But the official told Politico that the UK likely paid more.

The diplomat added: “They’ve clearly had to create the worst terms and conditions.

“God knows what they’ve agreed to on liability and indemnification.”

Slow decision-making inside the Commission is said to have sparked a wave of unease through the 27 nations in the bloc in the early days of vaccine take-up.

And there you have the tale of the professional purchase manager - focused on the contract and willing to spend weeks negotiating the terms. Blissfully unaware that the million dollars he has "saved" disappears because the plant he is holding up is not available to produce revenue generating product (or services).

As a salesman I was taught that it is not the product you are selling. You are selling what the product can do for the client. How much money can you make them or save them? What value do you bring them? And we're not talking social values - unless they bring you more market share and more money.

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
I wasn’t implying race...my parents are in Mississauga and they’re WASPs, but I was indirectly pointing out that Peel Region in particular has community transfer issues. I haven’t seen a racial breakdown, I don’t think that data is even taken. That wasn’t my point. The issue is more one of people complying with directives. Scarborough/Ajax/Durham is just as dense and doesn’t have the same issues, and that region, as with all of Toronto to be honest, is racially diverse. The issue is regional conduct. I don’t see why Ford or others should not be able to more specifically say where the hot spots really are. If anything, that would make others perhaps think before they went out in the community in larger numbers.

RangerRay

Reaction score
I was in the same boat last winter. Luckily I was the only one to test positive and to this day, I still don’t know who I got it from. I was working in a very infested community at the time but tried hard not to be in close contact with anyone I didn’t have to. Two weeks isolation in the spare room and 6 weeks to symptom free before I could return to work was not fun (although my sense of smell has not fully recovered). I totally feel for you and your situation and hope you and your family fully recover. Definitely not a “flu”.

lenaitch

Reaction score
Postal codes can paint with a broad brush and I haven't looked at them in detail, but some areas, like Jane/Finch have a lot of low income and subsidized housing where residents are likely to work in minimal wage service jobs or other 'precarious' employment and may not be able to simply stay home. Similarly, large areas of Brampton and Mississauga are townhouses and apartments. Even those that may be considered middle class have a high percentage of first-generation immigrant families with multi-generational living. Whether or not any or all in a given household would be able to work from home is a question. Many pool their income in order to be able to make the mortgage.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
What happens if someone mixes dose #1 from one vaccine and done #2 from a different vaccine?