• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
No government wants to kill the economy or impose unpopular measures.

As I said, if governments would be more transparent with regards to data driving their decision-making, people would be less inclined to make inaccurate assumptions and resort to hyperbole.
The data is all available and being published, people simply don’t look past the front page. The Ontario Science Table has been publishing and sourcing their data and projections this whole time, and they’ve been forecasting things pretty accurately. Assuming they remain reasonably accurate, their latest models are deeply disturbing. The less than scientifically enlightened individuals running the province literally said they ‘wanted to see if the hospitals would match the models’ before making a decision on the latest restrictions. Well, it did.

Messerschmitt

Reaction score
2 more states to follow their progression, Utah and Alabama

I know Texas is fully open since 10 March. What about Florida? Fully open no masks or still some slight restrictions? Is California/New York fully draconian locked down aka Ontario?

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHuh? Oh, you were serious.....wow, I'd hate to see a lot of folk if, heavens forbid, anything at all annoying was to happen in their life.
In all fairness, the media out west here has made the 'mandatory stay at home order' in Ontario sound pretty draconian.

I don't think it was a total unreasonable question, given the thread....

Mick

Reaction score
The data is all available and being published, people simply don’t look past the front page. The Ontario Science Table has been publishing and sourcing their data and projections this whole time, and they’ve been forecasting things pretty accurately. Assuming they remain reasonably accurate, their latest models are deeply disturbing. The less than scientifically enlightened individuals running the province literally said they ‘wanted to see if the hospitals would match the models’ before making a decision on the latest restrictions. Well, it did.
Very informative - I don't believe we have an equivalent body in AB.

I note that the Science Table is arms-length, and has a mandate to provide "weekly summaries of relevant scientific evidence to the COVID-19 Health Coordination Table" of Ontario.

To be honest, this is the first I've heard of this body. Does the government cite, or acknowledge these summaries when announcing new measures?

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
In all fairness, the media out west here has made the 'mandatory stay at home order' in Ontario sound pretty draconian.

I don't think it was a total unreasonable question, given the thread....
I don't think Ontario has seized any private property or places of worship and fenced them off to their congregations. I can't think of anywhere in Ontario, where young adults were being threatened with tazering, handcuffed and arrested for playing shinny, like Alberta. Or a full lockdown AND curfew in Quebec. I'm not disputing legalities or assigning blame, but if you want to talk about perceptions of draconian behaviour, the last place I'd look is Ontario because of a stay at home order that has tons of provisions for leaving your home during the lockdown. In effect, if you legally exploit the rules in Ontario, there really is no lockdown, draconian or otherwise.

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
^ This.

...so you can go to work, go get your prescriptions, go get food at a grocery store or take out from a restaurant and get fuel and necessities.

Draconian? Really?

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
My wife has gone SCUBA diving at various locations in Ontario almost every weekend, including yesterday, since the pandemic began.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
In Ontario the spread hasn’t been due to a paucity of rules, but rather from a lack of compliance and, arguably, a lack of enforcement. The ‘lockdown’ in Ontario is a joke.

Very informative - I don't believe we have an equivalent body in AB.

I note that the Science Table is arms-length, and has a mandate to provide "weekly summaries of relevant scientific evidence to the COVID-19 Health Coordination Table" of Ontario.

To be honest, this is the first I've heard of this body. Does the government cite, or acknowledge these summaries when announcing new measures?

Truth be told I haven’t spent much time looking at the government’s citations... The government is certainly informed by them, and grudgingly refers to the modelling, but isn’t keen to promote it because it’s pretty grim.

Hitherto the modelling has done a good job of convincing them of what needs to me done, and so the provincial trends have tended to follow the ‘with appropriate interventions’ models. Now we’re getting to watch the province follow the ‘oh shit’ models.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
How far away does she generally travel to SCUBA dive?
We haven't left Ontario since the pandemic. This winter she limited her diving to Ontario. But, in the past, Costa Rica, Bonair, Aruba, Saba Islands. St. Martin, St. Luca, Cuba, Bahamas, Curacao.

Here in Ontario, Niagara River ( Drift dive )., St. Lawrence River ( Ontario side ), Lake Erie, Sherkston Lake quarry, Wind Mill quarry, Trout Lake quarry, Innerkip quarry, Lime quarry.

Tobermory, Lake Ontario, Humber Bay, Lake Simcoe, Welland Canal. Georgian Bay.

Some shipwrecks like, Sligo, Morrison, Davis, Caroline Rose.

Under Ice Diving at Humber Bay and Lake Simcoe.

Went to Connestoga yesterday.

I'm not a diver. I'm more of a pedestrian.

GR66

Reaction score
In Ontario the spread hasn’t been due to a paucity of rules, but rather from a lack of compliance and, arguably, a lack of enforcement. The ‘lockdown’ in Ontario is a joke.
This.

My wife, two sons and myself are currently at home with positive COVID tests. My 20yr old had contact with an individual who decided not to self isolate while waiting for the results of their own COVID test (and also didn't feel it necessary to tell anyone that they had been tested due to close contact with a positive individual). As a result six people this individual had contact with tested positive (including my son) and many more then forced to self-isolate due to close contact (including my wife, older son and myself).

While in isolation in our home and with our youngest confined to his room, despite our best precautions (masking, regular cleaning, social distancing, etc.) the rest of us developed symptoms and tested positive. Fortunately my wife was already working from home full time and there was only one day that my older son and I were at work before we learned of the possible exposure (we're also both very careful to always wear our masks and socially distance at work) so there was no further spread from our grouping. No idea how far the spread went from the other five people originally exposed.

We're lucky that our symptoms have been pretty mild but this is an excellent example of how individuals not following the rules can have a large impact on the community around them. You may not like the rules, but if people actually followed them we wouldn't have to keep going through these cycles of lockdown and re-opening.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
This.

My wife, two sons and myself are currently at home with positive COVID tests. My 20yr old had contact with an individual who decided not to self isolate while waiting for the results of their own COVID test (and also didn't feel it necessary to tell anyone that they had been tested due to close contact with a positive individual). As a result six people this individual had contact with tested positive (including my son) and many more then forced to self-isolate due to close contact (including my wife, older son and myself).

While in isolation in our home and with our youngest confined to his room, despite our best precautions (masking, regular cleaning, social distancing, etc.) the rest of us developed symptoms and tested positive. Fortunately my wife was already working from home full time and there was only one day that my older son and I were at work before we learned of the possible exposure (we're also both very careful to always wear our masks and socially distance at work) so there was no further spread from our grouping. No idea how far the spread went from the other five people originally exposed.

We're lucky that our symptoms have been pretty mild but this is an excellent example of how individuals not following the rules can have a large impact on the community around them. You may not like the rules, but if people actually followed them we wouldn't have to keep going through these cycles of lockdown and re-opening.
GR66,

My best wishes to you and your loved ones to recover.

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
You may not like the rules, but if people actually followed them we wouldn't have to keep going through these cycles of lockdown and re-opening.
Fully agree.

In Kingston, they had to fence off Breakwater Park due to large crowds hanging out. We have an outbreak in the university district (not surprising) and 70% of positive cases are in the 18-29 age group.

On Saturday, Kingston Police handed out 17 tickets for violating the province’s Stay-at-Home order and 17 tickets for Reopening Ontario Act (ROA) regarding gatherings over 5 people. Glad to see they're finally enforcing the rules.

As an added bonus, they are now taking a refined approach and sedentary activities such as sitting or sunbathing are not considered to be an exception of the Stay at Home orders. Seriously, you just want to sit around and sunbathe? Do it in your own damn yard.

dapaterson

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score

Best wishes to you & your family for a full recovery. And thank you for being responsible where others are not. I know folks working in public health and they are long past overwhelmed.

If you want an example of how badly things can go with spread, look at the Mega Gym outbreak in Quebec - as of late last week there were over 500 infections and one death connected with the outbreak (linked article is from earlier in the week when there were "only" 419 infections).