• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Kids are wonderful disease vectors and not all elders are nice. It does have merit though. A nice care home is $6-8,000 a month, not many can afford that in the long term.

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
$6-8k a month? So in other words, the net income of someone that makes over 100k/year.

I guess I will have to put myself out on an ice floe or something. I prefer to spend my cash.

my72jeep

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Colin P said:
Kids are wonderful disease vectors and not all elders are nice. It does have merit though. A nice care home is $6-8,000 a month, not many can afford that in the long term.
I guess I’m lucky I’m only forking out $2500 a month for my dads home. But I pay out of pocket for the extras.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
[quote author=reverse_engineer]

I guess I will have to put myself out on an ice floe or something. I prefer to spend my cash.
[/quote]
Do you have kids?

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
my72jeep said:
I guess I’m lucky I’m only forking out $2500 a month for my dads home. But I pay out of pocket for the extras.

My father in law’s home is 2800 a month

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
The US-Camada border shut down is extended another 30 days to non-essential travel.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-us-extend-border-restrictions-by-30-days/ar-BB12QgqH?ocid=spartanntp

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
tomahawk6 said:
The US-Camada border shut down is extended another 30 days to non-essential travel.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-us-extend-border-restrictions-by-30-days/ar-BB12QgqH?ocid=spartanntp

Good! (Says the guy living sixty kilometres from the Michigan border.)

:cheers:

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting, to me at least, when researchers can drill down into specific neighbourhoods, or even postal / ZIP codes.

Haven't seen much data for Canada. But, there is for New York. In some neighbourhoods, at home DOAs are more than 10 times higher than they were last year.

27 DOAs in another, compared to 2 in the same time period last year.

16 in another, compared to 1 same time last year. etc...

City-wide average for all five boroughs is 6 times higher.

Also, concern about a spike "in a week or two" following the Easter and Passover holidays. 

Saw this in US politics,

reverse_engineer said:
Maybe the final nail in the coffin for public sector defined-benefit pension plans?

If you are already receiving an OMERS pension, I would not worry.

"Without question, pensions will continue to be paid on the first business day of each month."

And, regarding those DOAs...

The city medical examiner’s office tells his wife it could take “three hours to three days” to pick the body up.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/18/nyc-woman-slams-de-blasio-after-relatives-body-left-at-home/

my72jeep

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
FJAG said:
Good! (Says the guy living sixty kilometres from the Michigan border.)

:cheers:
I hear you when I look across the lake I live on I see Michigan.

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
Military medical team in Quebec:

https://twitter.com/RadioCanadaInfo/status/1251643218082648068

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIaCBGDv-Iw

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=250109552799458

Sub_Guy

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I was killing some time reading threads on Reddit and I came across something which peaked my curiosity.

Some units are ordering troops to open Facebook accounts (to keep troops informed during this crisis). Would there be any disciplinary actions that could be taken against someone who refused to open a social media account?

My first impression is what kind of shitty COC would try to order folks to do that.  What’s next? Everyone has to be on Instagram? Snapchat?

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Whatever happened to a phone call, text, or e-mail?

Just for a laugh, I’d be curious to hear which specific units are doing this.

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
On the plus side, a CoC that's aware that anything beyond a black telephone with a dial exists as a tool to communicate with soldiers is positive progress.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
dapaterson said:
On the plus side, a CoC that's aware that anything beyond a black telephone with a dial exists as a tool to communicate with soldiers is positive progress.

They have that now? Seriously? :)

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Dolphin_Hunter said:
I was killing some time reading threads on Reddit and I came across something which peaked my curiosity.

Some units are ordering troops to open Facebook accounts (to keep troops informed during this crisis). Would there be any disciplinary actions that could be taken against someone who refused to open a social media account?

My first impression is what kind of shitty COC would try to order folks to do that.  What%u2019s next? Everyone has to be on Instagram? Snapchat?

Dolphin_Hunter,

Is there any indication which unit(s) are doing this? Is this just a one-off, where a woke leader is trying to invoke his/her view of the benefits of SM?  There is a CAF app that provides direction/info from the top. 

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
dapaterson said:

Ha, I guess that’s true.

Sub_Guy

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Weinie said:
Dolphin_Hunter,

Is there any indication which unit(s) are doing this? Is this just a one-off, where a woke leader is trying to invoke his/her view of the benefits of SM?  There is a CAF app that provides direction/info from the top.

No, I have no idea where this is coming from.  It was probably a misinterpreted suggestion.

garb811

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Anyone suggest that the OP should tell the unit that if they want them to have a Facebook account, they should pay for their internet connection and give them a computer yet?