• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Health Care Admin/HCA (merged)

If you are the Pl Comd  / Coy Comd / Clinic CO you command whoever is placed under your command. Command is command. At the Platoon level this is mostly Med Techs and the odd Physician Assistant as your Platoon WO. Sometimes it might also have a Medical Officer in the mix.  Sometimes it is even the odd person from outside the Health Service like MSE Ops, RMS Clk, one of the various EME Techs, Supply Techs, Sig Ops (especially in the place like the Field Hospital).

For instance, if you were in a (doctrinal) Advanced Surgical Centre (ASC) as the Senior Admissions and Discharge Officer (Officer in Charge of the ASC HQ Section) as a Captain you would have a Jr HCA (who might be the same rank as you), a Sgt Med Tech, RMS Clk x 2, Med Tech x 2, and Sig Ops x2 working for you. 

As you move up, if you become a Company Commander or a Clinic CO, you could be in change of a whole range of CF Medical Service Officers (MO/NO/Pharm O/Physio Therapy O/Social Work O and NCMs, as well as civilian public servants and contractors under your command. 

Good luck on the interview. 

MC

Thanks for the quick response.

Exactly what I needed!

And thank you.

Had the interview this morning for HCA. Went great and I am merit listed.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

New question:

As an HCA does it really matter what colour your uniform is? I assume Air force HCA's are on army bases and Army HCA's are stationed to Navy bases, etc??

Do all HCA's do CAP or whatever it is called now?

Thanks again,

Mike

Uniform does not matter. It is really purple and you can go anywhere with any uniform. 

HCA's no longer do the CAP.  Sadly. 

MC

MedCorps said:
. . . . .

HCA's no longer do the CAP.  Sadly. 

How does the occupation view itself today?

In years (long?) past the generation of HCAs (and their previous iterations) was primarily from within the CF (or the RCN, the Cdn Army and, to a lesser extent, the RCAF when they were separate services).  Almost everyone brought previous military or naval experience to the table whether they were CFR (at one time the main HCA generation program), OT (mostly from older and sometimes slightly broken combat arms types), UTPM or, if going back to separate service days, OCTP (in the old Cdn Army this was the primary commissioning plan for HCAs).  While these individuals had varying degrees of success (from the average to the outstanding) in their previous occupations they usually knew how the system worked outside the sometimes rather narrow viewpoint of the medical world and it was this knowledge that made them important.

I am well aware that an undergraduate degreed officer corps is now the goal, but (mainly from viewing topics on this site) I've gained the impression that HCA generation is these days focused more on acquiring individuals who have formal post-secondary education and that previous military experience at the officer or Snr NCO level is of secondary importance or maybe not even a consideration.

Am I off the mark here? Has the HCA of old, the unwashed professional soldier of the CFMS been replaced by a theory laden but inexperienced business graduate?  Is there adequate development of newly minted officers such that the branch can forego the already proven knowledge and skill base of CFRs and OTs?  I think back to my first posting as an HCA MAO-HCA.  It was an AIRCOM base hospital, busy enough for its size and had the added challenge of an operational tasking (MAJAID).  Like most BHosps of the time, there wasn't great depth of military experience among the majority of officers (primarily doctors and nurses).  As the sole HCA in the unit, I was usually the one that was expected to input the "military flavour" to our operation.  I was not unique among my MAO/HCA coursemates.  A lot of them also went to (sole HCA) base or RSS postings, some even went directly into staff postions.  Of course they (we) all had years of military experience (in the ranks and/or another officer classification) behind us.

Blackadder1916 said:
Has the HCA of old, the unwashed professional soldier of the CFMS been replaced by a theory laden but inexperienced business graduate?

Yes

Is there adequate development of newly minted officers such that the branch can forego the already proven knowledge and skill base of CFRs and OTs?

No

I think back to my first posting as an HCA MAO-HCA.  It was an AIRCOM base hospital, busy enough for its size and had the added challenge of an operational tasking (MAJAID).  Like most BHosps of the time, there wasn't great depth of military experience among the majority of officers (primarily doctors and nurses).  As the sole HCA in the unit, I was usually the one that was expected to input the "military flavour" to our operation.  I was not unique among my MAO/HCA coursemates.  A lot of them also went to (sole HCA) base or RSS postings, some even went directly into staff postions.  Of course they (we) all had years of military experience (in the ranks and/or another officer classification) behind us.

Let me relate and example from 2006: in my unit we had 8 HCAs. One OT, no CFR, and 7 degreed officers - none of whom had commerce or admin as their area of study. Of the lot, I would say the OT was probably the best all round officer and HCA.

Blackadder,

Because of the movement afoot to move toward the "civilian standard" (Accreditation Canada) within garrison clinics (the hospital are essentially gone) there has been pressure to "professionalize" the HCA MOS to bring it in line with civilian health care administrators. This is partially our own doing and partially a response to reports from the the Auditor General and Chief of Review Services. 

This has resulted in trying to recruit officers who have degrees in commerce, business, finance, health care management, industrial relations, etc, etc. For a while it was "any degree"... now it is much more selective for better or worse.  They are also expected as part of their basic HCA training to do a civilian health care management certificate (currently offered by the Canadian Healthcare Association as contracted training) and as they move toward the rank of Major and clinic command gain certification as a health care executive (CHE) with the Canadian College of Health Leaders (CCHL). 

See here: http://www.cchl-ccls.ca/default1.asp and here: http://www.cchl-ccls.ca/default_certification.asp?active_page_id=1727 to get a feel for these things. 

This has resulting in a new batch of young, bright, officers who are academically (theory) trained.  In the last batch of HCAs we even had 2-3 subalterns with MBAs.  It leaves a real gap in the skills we used to get with OT / UTPNCM / CFR / SCP, etc especially on the field side of the house where they have no experience in this area other then what they have gained via the CF training system.  HCAs are still being used as Platoon Commanders / Operations Officers / Adjutants / etc in field units  and other such field tasks including RSS Officers.  This has posed a bit of a challenge to say the least.

For FY 12/13 the target blend was 67% Direct Entry Officers, 20% Occupational Transfers - Officers, and 23% UTPNCM.  CFR is almost unheard of now in the CFMS/CFDS.  We have a few SCP but they are far and few between and there does not seem to be a stomach for this commissioning plan.

There are some things being done to try and sort this out (despite the fact that attending Common Army Phase - CAP would sort out some of these problems).  This has included a large revision of the Basic HCA Course and the replacement of the Basic Field Health Services Course with the Health Services Operations and Staff Officer Course which will be happening in near future it is rumoured.  I am still not sure it will fix all the problems, but it is a step in the right direction.

MC

Hello,

Is anyone able to list the current course progression for reserve HCA as of summer 2015?  I have been in touch with a recruiter but there seems to be a bit of confusion.  Besides second language training, what is the training delta between regular and reserve HCA officers?  Thanks.

Best bet is to contact your local reserve Fd Amb and speak to a HCA there who has recently gone through trg.

My info is a few years old, so may be out of date. PRes HCA had to do Common Army Phase (CAP) in Gagetown. I thought this was excellent, and regularly resulted in PRes HCA with a better grasp of leadership and mil skills than their RegF counterparts who were exempt CAP. There are many reg F HCA who would not be in uniform today if they had to complete CAP...but it was recognized as a double standard for the reservists, so I'm not sure if it is still a requirement.

Reg F will also do Basic HCA (not sure if PRes do this, but I can find out if you are still interested). Then they will do the newish Health Services Operations Staff Officer Course (HSOSOC). Not to be confused with the similarly named Health Services Operations Course, which is for HSO Maj.

There are no specific gateway trg quals between HCA Lt - Maj, though officers are encouraged to take AJOS, ATOC, and AOC, though the mosid only gets a couple seats a year on that course.

Res F HCA's also do not complete the certificate in Health Services Management that is currently offered to the Reg F HCA's by the Canadian Hospital Association as part of their Developmental Period 1.

The best things to do, as mentioned, is call the local Res Fd Amb and ask to speak with an HCA. 

Good luck,

MC

You're correct  - CAP was dropped a couple years ago. You will have to do the BHCA and HSOSOC. They used to run them back to back in the summer for reservists.

Reg F HCA are expected (but not mandated) to complete AJOSQ and ATOC. Some are selected for AOC, some for AMEDD (USA). There really isn't a lot of mandatory trg for HCA until they are promoted Maj and merit listed for O/T to HSO, after which they complete the HSO course in Borden.

There are still opportunities for deployment, with HCA Capt in Kuwait and Sierra Leone,  those its nowhere near the op temp of the Afg days.

Hi, new to the blog but have read a considerable amount regarding different entry plans but have yet to see my situation. I'm not naive to think my situation is specifically unique however it may be slightly different then others.

Here it goes:

I have recently applied to the CAF and have been processed rather quickly;however, there is a slight speed bump that I am looking to get over. The trades I applied for are: IntO(DEO), HCA(ROTP), Pilot (DEO) ( in that order).

I was told IntO had completed it's hiring process already for this upcoming year 2015 and would not open any further positions until January of 2016. This lead my file to get processed under my second option HCA (ROTP). This process has moved very quickly and it has made me rethink my entire status on joining through ROTP.

I am a recent graduate of Bishop's University where I received a BA History/Religion. I also am currently attending the University of Victoria in an attempt to finish a second degree BA Sociology. I am really interested in joining the CAF (for a multitude of reason that I don't really want to get into here) however; I would like to know if ROTP i(e: doing another 4 years of university) is really the best way of joining as an HCA. I understand that there are programs such as: Health Care Administration Post Graduate Certificates that are offered throughout different institutions in Canada. That are 2-3 year programs. Would one of these certificates supplement the lack of a Health Care Degree as it covers all the administrative and HR requirements. If someone could shine some light on this subject for me it would be a great help as my offer for ROTP should be in within the next few days and I would like to make the best decision while having all the intel.  Thanks in advance.

Good day JLeonardSmith,

Through your considerable amount of reading I'm sure that you read the read first post regarding the rules for posting questions on this form specifically that we do not answer questions on in progress applications as more accurate answers can be given by the recruiting centre processing your application because they have your information. That being said I will elaborate on some of the available options to you to become a Health Care Administrator (HCA)

Health Care Administer (HCA)

Direct Entry Officer (DEO)

Ideal Education

Master’s degree in:

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or
o Human Resource Management

Or

Undergraduate degree with a Major in:
o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or

Acceptable

Any undergraduate degree with a Minor
in:
o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin;
o Human Resource Management or
related Health Care fields

Occupational Transfer (OT) (From one military Occupation to HCA)

Ideal

Master’s degree in:
o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or

Or

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or

Acceptable

in:

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin;
related Health Care fields; or
o others as designated by the MOSID
Advisor on a case-by-case basis

Component Transfer (CT) (From NCM to Officer)

Ideal

Master’s degree in:

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or
o Human Resource Management, or

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or

Acceptable

in:

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin;

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) (Paid Education)

Any degree with Major or Minor in:

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin;

Hello, I came to the forum to find information about an occupational transfer from PRes Med A into a PRes HCA. I have found other threads where people ask about joining as an HCA which does not apply to me (unless I release to re-enlist. Not my plan).

My unit's situation is a bit strange as it is a detachment, of a detachment, of a unit in another province... All of the HCA's I know of are in that other province. Our det is growing and suffers from a lack of officers. Would it be reasonable to say that the unit needs an HCA?

I have recently finished a BA in Archaeology and I doubt that it would be useful for considering me to become an HCA. Who would be the best bet for getting more information: my CO, the unit CO, or one of the HCA's?

Shmack said:
Our det is growing and suffers from a lack of officers.

You may find these discussions of interest.

NCM to Officer,

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+ncm+to+officer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=cuq8Vue3A6aC8Qf_3LHADQ&gws_rd=ssl#

Archaeology certainly isn't the preferred degree for HCA - but it is not necessarily a showstopper. BTW - my first degree was History, and I started a second one in Archaeology before doing the MA in War Studies - no link at all to health care.  What is currently happening, is that the preferred and acceptable degree requirements for Res F HCA are under review (and have been for some time).  In the interim, if a unit has an individual that wishes to join, or to take their Commission, then the unit can apply through 4 H Svcs Gp to the MOS Advisor for a waiver. If there are no other applicants with the preferred or acceptable degree, and the unit is short of HCA, then a waiver may be granted.

The greater issue is that you're not even in the same Province as 35 Fd Amb.  Currently, 23 Fd Amb has a Pl located in London ON, and I believe it has been provided an HCA or a GDNO as Pl Comd. I am in 28 Fd Amb, and we have looked at how to beef up our capability to support in Kingston, and Sudbury and the north - we may look at requesting a Pl allocation for this. If the CO of 35 Fd Amb feels that a strong case could be made to upgrade the Det in St John's to a Pl, then perhaps 4 H Svcs Gp could support it to CF H Svcs Gp.  Otherwise, the CO of 35 Fd Amb could, should they have vacant HCA positions, recommend your Commissioning (provided you meet all of the other requirements, and get the educational waiver), and opt to have you employed in St John's.

Thank you for your replies. I'll talk to everyone I can and get in touch with the CO to figure out my next steps.

Back