• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things GPS (recommendations, tips, etc.) - merged

Where abouts do you have your GPS?

• In a pocket in the tacvest

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • On a pouch attached to the outside of the tacvest

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • On your wrist (wrist gps)

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Attached to your rifle

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • In or mounted on a vehicle

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Multiple positions or other

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Just carry a compass

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters
Thanks the last time I tried that it wouldn't install the active X controller but it worked this time. Thanks again  ;D ;D

One last stupid question, how do I convert MGRS to lat/long with out having to manually enter all the grids as waypoints in my GPS (they are all of an area an hour and a half away from here) and then changing my GPS to LAT/LONG?

241,  Forget I posted this, I read you backwards

You can try this link.  I entered my Lat/long and selected UTM (WGS 84) under the "Grid" tab.  When I hit convert, it provided the proper Grid Zone Designation, 100,000 m Square ID, and a 10 figure grid.

It was accurate for me  YMMV            http://tinyurl.com/2okoth

Take it easy

Skip

Skip_ not a problem I went to the Canada post web site and looked up the postal code of the nearest town and was able to find the map I was looking for that way.  Anyone have anyidea how to find the current Wainwright map we are useing, or do they not have it on here, I know one of the guys at my unit had a link on the DIN for some maps web site but never forwarded it to me before he left for the regs.

I was briefly introduced to the CF DAGR system and although i never used the PLGR from what i hear from the others in my section the DAGR is head and shoulders above the PLGR and most any other civy GPS.  We were also briefed on the dangers of using civy GPS in the field especially when you are sharing important coords with people using military grid systems and map datums.  The DAGR also uses crypto, is compatible with NVG's, is shock/water proof, has long battery life.  Most importantly it is easy to use.  We were also warned never to use specifically the garmin rino because it broadcasts your position to other rino users. Bad idea. 

The fact that we now have a GPS unit that offers greater user friendliness than the PLGR is fantastic.  Not only does the DAGR have equally good or better bells and whistles type features as compared to most mid- to low end civvy GPS units, but the military- specific features it offers are outstanding.  It's an awesome piece of kit, and we should use it as much as possible so as to get the greatest possible number of people familiarized with it.  Train as you fight.

Now that said, there's no good technical reason not to use a civvy GPS unit in a domestic context, especially if that's all you have.  We seem to have more of the DAGR's than we ever had of the PLGR's, which is good, but there still aren't enough to give one to everyone who might benefit from having one.  Sure the DAGR can use crypto.  By far the majority of guys who use a GPS domestically aren't going to do so.  A civvy GPS is exactly as accurate as an unkeyed miltary one unless there's something wrong with it.

Don't use FRS equipped GPS units- that's different, and there's a whole other thread on that.  But if the crown can't give you a DAGR and you don't want to get lost, there's no good reason to not use your own.

I've been using the Garmin Rino 110 & 210 for a few years now. Bought the units in Fla to benefit from added features.. They are great devices... but they can be jammed !

The 1st time it happened to me I was walking on the deck of a cruise ship, as I got closer to the radar tower my screen went blank and my unit was unresponsive. Couldn't turn it off/on ... had to take out the batteries & reinsert to get it going again.

2nd time I was standing on shore when a Navy Frigate (Swedish Navy) passed close by... again my Rino went dead ... (same cure)

I don't know if other GPS units can also be affected in this manner but I'd be concerned in an Op theater ... a dead GPS can be a pain at best ...

The Rino does its position-broadcast trick by prepending your location to the front of any radio transmission (including the alert-call alarm)

This can be disabled explicitly in the unit, or by turning the radio portion off.

DG

This just in:  Canadian Tire has the E-Trex Summit on sale for $129.99.  That's half price, for the mathematically challenged!  While I'm no great advocate of Garmin (gee, ya think?),  you won't get a better deal on a "you are here, and you've been there" unit.  Worth a look see.

Personally, I bought the Garmin eTrex Legend Canadian Tracker Pack (eTrex Legend, Topo Canada mapping software, interface cable, and handy-dandy carrying case) for $199 at Sprawl-Mart ($179 for the eTrex Legend alone, or Topo Canada alone at Crappy Tire).  It's not bad.  It's suitable for my recreational needs.  The MapSource maps are not the greatest.  Sometimes the monochrome maps make it hard to differentiate between roads and contour lines.  And it would be nice to have more than 8MB of memory so I could download more maps onto it.  All in all though, I'm quite happy since it meets my recreational needs.

For work, I have a Garmin Vista Cx with custom maps of my district downloaded onto it.  Definintely a lot nicer with more features and more memory, but a little steeply priced for me to purchase for my own recreation.

I always use it in conjunction with a paper map to confirm my location.

I've never tried any of the Magellan Explorist units, and I don't know anyone who has.  After reading these posts, I perhaps should have investigated them more.

Hate to ressurect an old thread but I didn't want to step on any toes and start a new thread.  I did a search and didn't see anything more current.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate (current) recommendations on which civi GPS to get.  I have only done some preliminary research and have been considering either a Oregon or Colorado Garmin unit as I'm drawn to their interfaces (touchscreen and thumbwheel) but I'm really not sure if they are suitable for the military.  Keep in mind it will be going overseas as I was told it's a good idea to bring one.

Thanks

It depends on your job, man.

As a dismounted signaller, I have a Garmin Foretrex 101.  I took the wrist strap off, attached a 550 dummy cord, and I keep it in my pocket and tied to my belt.

- Unlike the newer 201 and 301 models, the 101 runs off AAA batteries.  I never have to worry about charging an integral battery in the field because I just ADREP fresh ones.

- The trip computer can be customized and is very user friendly.  You can set it up so that your grid, bearing, and time to destination are available at a glance.

- It's very small and therefore convenient to carry on you all the time.

- It's a very streamlined GPS. It has the bare necessities of functions, easy to use and set up.  There is no electronic compass, but a GPS can't replace an old school magnetic compass so you'd be carrying both anyways.

- I used to have a more capable Garmin Vista, but I prefer the Foretrex for the above reasons.

Maybe if you're a LAV CC you'll want something more elaborate with colour and maps, but for a dismounted guy looking for a fast and light nav aid, I don't think you can beat the Foretrex 101.

I'm still new to the whole GPS world. Wife drags me out geocaching on our borrowed GPS. I want to invest into a GPS for geocaching and for hiking. User friendly. I always enjoy rucksac marching into the wild. And I like to know what distance I cover, with the GPS. I could never figure it out on the loan GPS.  I want to be able to start at one point. And during the march, just take a peek at it, to see for far I went.

Any suggestions for my own GPS? More looking at the Garmin line. I'm pretty new in this field. So please don't bash me too hard.  ;D

Regards,
TN2IC

It is quite simple to do even with the loaner GPS you have.  Some GPSs will continously count your distance but, all GPSs will be able to do what I am about to tell you.  Before you start "Mark" (save) your location.  Everytime you make a change in course (a significant one) mark that point as well.  Do this for  each "waypoint" in your march.  At the end, using the route function or distance between points, take all the legs of your route, add them together and voila.

If you are going to buy a GPS just talk to a salesman and let him know what you want it to do.  Don't spend too much. Buying a top of the line one will just get you an expensive GPS with a ton of functions that you won't likely use anyway.  Go cheap (you can always trade up at a later date).  Even the cheapest one will do what I mentioned above.  Try Kijiji, an old used one will do you just fine for starters.

Either of the Garmin ETrex or Magellan Explorist entry level devices will meet your needs. As TN2IC says, you don't need to spend a fortune here. Check the local sales boards.

I only have 2 words of advice for any prospective GPS buyer GAR-MIN!!!  I have a Magellan and it stays in it's case while I use my Garmin vehicle GPS in "walk" mode.
If you would like to get the whole anti-magellan rant shoot me a PM.

:2c:
Bern

I have several GPS's.  The Etrex is a decent lower level one, however, you can pick up Bushnell Onyx 400's for around the same price ($100.00).  They are $600.00 GPS's but are being phased out.  Not only do they do color maps, but they incorporate XM Radio, so you can get weather overlays.  Con is they aren't well supported anymore, and they are a little large.  Stll, for the price, they do EVERYTHING.

Back