• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things CAF and Covid/ Covid Vaccine [merged]

Throughout the pandemic, one of the most difficult issues dealing with COVID19 was that a large proportion of cases were asymptomatic yet still spread the virus. This was the case through all variants, regardless of vaccination rates.

I alluded to this in my prior tongue in cheek post about going back in time to test asymptomatic "spread" of other diseases through history, but given the partisan nature of how this disease was perceived I think that modern tracking ability actually did a societal disservice by quantifying this. If we could go back and PCR test x disease at the level we did for covid- lots of asymptomatic cases spreading the virus. It's the nature of human immune system. Pathogen enters, multiplies- the order of spread/debilitate/lose depends on the strength of the immune response. But in any case, a tonne more people get infected with any given pathogen than those that get sick.

That being said, one of the most fundamental points of contention regarding the covid 19 vaccines stems from that advancement in technology. In the past "breakthrough infections" were counted by vaccinated people that became seriously ill with a narrow set of symptoms to the point where a hospital ran blood work, not people with the sniffles that stuck a qtip up their nose.

That also being said- this post is Grant's fueled rather than Glenfiddich, so take it for what it's worth.

Okay, I’ll bite as I’m genuinely curious. What is it then?

I think when people hear the word vaccine they expect vaccination, which according to Google is defined as:

treatment with a vaccine to produce immunity against a disease; inoculation.

So people were expecting immunity after receiving the vaccine.

I think when people hear the word vaccine they expect vaccination, which according to Google is defined as:

So people were expecting immunity after receiving the vaccine.
It confers partial immunity, allowing one's own immune system time to rally the defences. Unfortunately, the coronaviridae family of diseases is highly genetically nimble, and at best each booster buys us time until the next mutation. The expectation is that in time, a less lethal, dominant mutation will emerge, and we will be able to manage it in the same way in which we manage influenza. The difference will be that while there is an influenza "season", it appears that the coronavirus will be present in the population year round. While there is promising research on this front, a suitable vaccine candidate has yet to be developed.

It confers partial immunity, allowing one's own immune system time to rally the defences. Unfortunately, the coronaviridae family of diseases is highly genetically nimble, and at best each booster buys us time until the next mutation. The expectation is that in time, a less lethal, dominant mutation will emerge, and we will be able to manage it in the same way in which we manage influenza. The difference will be that while there is an influenza "season", it appears that the coronavirus will be present in the population year round. While there is promising research on this front, a suitable vaccine candidate has yet to be developed.

Sure. Honestly I don't really care. I, like most reasonably healthy people under 50 with no comorbidities, am over Covid. I've had my two shots, thanks that's enough for me.

I was just trying to provide some context in our vocabulary usage.

People heard the word vaccine and they expected to be vaccinated like they would be against small pox. And I don't blame them. The very definition, both text book and colloquial, established that.

Much like the use of the word privilege, vaccine or vaccination probably isn't the term that should have been used. Its created expectations that aren't/weren't based in reality or truth, in this context.

It's also given some at the extremes of our society more tin foil to wrap around their heads.

Much like the use of the word privilege, vaccine or vaccination probably isn't the term that should have been used. Its created expectations that aren't/weren't based in reality or truth, in this context.
"Covid shot" (like "flu shot") would really give the tinfoil-hat-wearers something to talk about :sneaky:

"Covid shot" (like "flu shot") would really give the tinfoil-hat-wearers something to talk about :sneaky:

Lol it sure would.

How about pre-treatment ? I don't have the answer.

I can simply understand that using the word vaccine set some expectations.

Lol it sure would.

How about pre-treatment ? I don't have the answer.

I can simply understand that using the word vaccine set some expectations.
Come to think of it, I wonder if anyone thinks that the "annual flu shot" means they get the flu.

Hmm.

Come to think of it, I wonder if anyone thinks that the "annual flu shot" means they get the flu.

Hmm.

No idea. I never got it or paid attention to it beyond passing on timings and locations if folks wanted it.

I was in downtown Ottawa yesterday. The mighty anti Vax protest was about a dozen folks parading through the Byward Market.

I was in downtown Ottawa yesterday. The mighty anti Vax protest was about a dozen folks parading through the Byward Market.
Is it Saturday again? It's prob the same folks who constantly hang out by the benches next to the Terry Fox statue.

sam winchester yawn GIF

We were mandated, so I didn't over-think it.

If this is accurate, the conspiracy theorist in me suggests this is quite possibly the most innovative bio weapon ever released by a country on its adversaries.

If this is accurate, the conspiracy theorist in me suggests this is quite possibly the most innovative bio weapon ever released by a country on its adversaries.
If this is accurate, the conspiracy theorist in you should seriously consider the conclusions it wants to draw from misleading summaries based on 9 deaths, and a 95% confidence interval that damn near includes the baseline rate.

Good thing the vaccine stops people from getting sick and being infectious, then no one will ever get sick again... oh wait...
I think it would be nice if everyone could just get off their soap boxes for one second and accept that their high horse probably isn't as fast as they thought it was.

Vaccines weren't the panacea they were made out to be. They should be looked at as one tool in the toolbox but they should never have been politicized the way they were. Likewise, I don't think curtailing of social liberties and other immediate gratification decisions undertaken by our overlords was worth the cost. The long term consequences of those decisions are playing out now as we speak.

The pandemic is over, COVID is just like every other endemic disease we can potentially catch now. I've had it twice and am triple vaxxed, it didn't kill me and I was back to work within days of my last bout. Lets drop the nonsense, stop fighting with each other and move on.

If you're significantly overweight, out of shape, have a drinking or substance abuse problem, don't watch what you eat and make poor choices......

Well you should probably look in the mirror and take a little bit of personal responsibility for your own affairs before throwing shade at anti-vaxxers.

I took the first two shots. Nothing else. Didn't mask significantly, didn't stop socializing. I also had/have zero respect for the way the liberal government foisted their edicts and demands on the population and then destroyed people's lives and livelihoods with their dictatorial orders and guesses and made up bullshit. I will never allow myself to think again, that this government is looking out for our welfare. We are nothing more than a source of income for trudeau's lies, deceit and international bumbling. He could care less about Canadians or Canada. Just whatever makes his stock portfolio increase or impresses his globalist cronies.

Back