• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"All Sea King helicopters grounded after N.S. incident"

A Sea King flew overhead when we were sitting outside at dinner yesterday with friends near Sidney. One of the kids looks up and says "Look Dad, it's a crash-i-copter!

those amazing young man in their flying machines they go up tiddy up up, they go down tiddy down down

Perhaps it's time to change the title of this thread to: "Sea Kings: last legs?"

CBC

Sea King helicopter towed down street after emergency landing
CBCCBC – 7 hours ago

RCAFSeaKingonroad.jpg

Commuters stuck in traffic in Eastern Passage, N.S., last evening may have been surprised to see a Canadian Sea King helicopter was the cause of the backlog.

The helicopter made an emergency landing in a field near the small Nova Scotia community before being towed down a street, causing some traffic headaches during rush hour.

"It's in fine shape. It just looked like it may have had a little bit of fire damage," said Naomi Robinson, who lives nearby.

Air Force spokesman Alexandre Cadieux says the six-person crew was returning from a training flight when it had an in-flight emergency.
A sensor in the gear box detected an anomaly. The crew landed at the helipad at Hartland Point Golf Course and the chopper was then towed to 12 Wing Shearwater.

No one was injured.

The military's fleet of Sea Kings is now 50 years old.

(...SNIPPED)

I'm not a pilot, nor do I play one on TV, but it seems to me that when referring to helos, "It's in fine shape. It just looked like it may have had a little bit of fire damage", is a statement with mutually exclusive points.

Wben the same article mentions what the problem was, a gear box anomaly which was actually a chip light, why would the press quote someone who doesn't have a clue saying it has fire damage.  Does anyone care that the crews have to explain to their families that we know what we are doing and the aircraft is safe.

We maintain the heliport at Hartlen's Point for a reason.  The decision was made to bring the aircraft back instead of doing an MRP.

I'm not saying that there aren't some serious issues we're dealing with, but just for once it would be nice to have some honest reporting, enough with the jokes, and people that don't know any better saying we are on our last legs.

I was wondering if by "fire damage" they meant JP-8 exhaust soot...

kev994 said:
I was wondering if by "fire damage" they meant JP-8 exhaust soot...

My guess is that is what it is... the area immediately aft of the exhausts, plus the hoist fairing, is normally pretty dirty if it has flown since the last wash.

Back