• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Memo Templates: (AVOTP, ED&T, File Number, OJT, OT, Release, Retention)

QR&O 19.12 states that you have the right to speak to your Commanding Officer on any personal matter.

Do the memo's really need to/thru the CO for action...if so, well then it sounds like whoever is amending them shouldn't be.

I'd start with a talk with your Sect Comd/Pl WO/Pl Comd, if you haven't already done that.  If the Pl WO doesn't know, he can address to the CSM, etc and the CofC will have a chance to rectify the situation of the memo's going astray.

*Lowest level of resolution* is the best way to go. 

3RCR said:
Hey guys,

I'm looking for the specific governing body that details the laws pertaining to Canadian Forces memorandums.  I am at a unit where I have been directed to submit 9 memos for various things I have needed/wanted.  My issue is that 7 of them have, "Gone missing," and the two that were returned had been modified in pen in the Addressee block so that they would never get to the person I addressed them to (CO through CoC).  My understanding was that memorandums were a legally bound document once signed, am I wrong?  Am I entitled to address a memo to my CO?  Is it legal for them to continuously quash these?  I don't want to file a grievance or redress the memos, as my trade is entirely too political and there is entirely too little protection for such actions, it might have too much of an impact on my career.  I'm kinda trapped in the system here, and am getting quite frustrated with a lack of representation.  Worst of all it's really starting to affect my attitude, and it's a shame because I really do love what I do.  Your help/feedback is greatly appreciated.

You are entitled to write CO in the memo.  It doesn't have to go to him for a decision on matters because the CO can delgate things down to the OC level and the OC can determine what his PL Comds and WOs can deal with and delegate that authority.  Delegation doesn't absolve the CoC of responsibility so if it is a matter that you feel should go to the CO you can always ask for an interview. 

As for losing a memo the easiest way to track it is to send a hard copy and email copy to the person that seems to be losing them.  A novel way of dealing with slow CoCs is if you get no timely reply and you reminded them that you need one, is to send the entire chain repectfully up to the next person in the CoC until you get a response.  Now obviously this has to be done tactfully but most people would be interested to find out that their subordinates were not dealing with troop administration in a timely manner.

The last thing to consider is why are they asking to to write the memos?  This requires a bit of introspection your part as we have no read on the situation.  Are you asking for normal run of the mill stuff or are you being a bit of a knob, asking for everything under the sun.  Another thing to ask is does my performance merit what I am asking?  Certainly not meant as a slight on you but sometimes individuals needs to take a hard look at themselves as well.

It's too bad they got rid of round trip memos. I guess people didn't like to be held responsible  ::)

I kept two boxes and used them for years till I ran out.

MJP said:
The last thing to consider is why are they asking to to write the memos?  This requires a bit of introspection your part as we have no read on the situation.  Are you asking for normal run of the mill stuff or are you being a bit of a knob, asking for everything under the sun.  Another thing to ask is does my performance merit what I am asking?  Certainly not meant as a slight on you but sometimes individuals needs to take a hard look at themselves as well.

I appreciate the feedback.  As for why they are asking me to write the memos, I honestly have no clue.  It seems like almost anything I go to them and ask them to look into I just kept getting the response, "Submit it in a memo."  Half of the things I was requesting weren't (in my opinion) meriting such administrative steps as a memo, things like requesting to have time on a certain night of every week to do volunteer work, or to be considered for a course I was hoping for, orr some administrative time to sort out move details due to a posting.  It felt as if my superior simply didn't want to look into it themselves so sent me to type any and everything up.  As some of these involved time away from work/budget I was under the infantry belief that it had to be addressed CO through CoC as per norm, yet when I inquired into their status even the WO had no idea any but two of them had been submitted, and now they're all "lost."  I had no interest in pursuing the administrative route, but I'm lost as to why I was so directed if it was only to be ignored.  Anyways, thanks for your help guys.

You keep copies right? I would hope you have a USB drive that you keep on your person for admin stuff no? Send a new one (memo) every 2 weeks if you don't get a response on the original. If you wanted to avoid useless paperwork you should have been a Patricia  ;)

I attempted to submit a memo and leave pass to the CO for a short day and my chain of command (WO and Adjt) wrote "not supported" and gave it back to me.  When I asked why it didn't go to the CO for her to decide, I was told they don't have to.  Is that true that they don't need to forward it and does anyone have a ref I can use?

You do realize that it's the Adjutant's right to block your memo from going to the CO.

As it's the Adjt who helps a commanding officer with administrative affairs, so if he doesn't support it your request why would he send it to the CO?

stellarpanther said:
I attempted to submit a memo and leave pass to the CO for a short day and my chain of command (WO and Adjt) wrote "not supported" and gave it back to me.  When I asked why it didn't go to the CO for her to decide, I was told they don't have to.  Is that true that they don't need to forward it and does anyone have a ref I can use?

If at some point you think the CO is going to go against your WO and your Adjt, you've either been in the CF for about 15 minutes or haven't learned how things work yet.

A different CO but the very same thing happened to me a couple years ago regarding a French course.  The CoC said no that they couldn't afford to let me go for that 2 hours a week and when the CO heard about it from someone else, he got pissed off and told them to get me on it.  He is the one who told me that when someone writes a memo to the CO, my CoC can put whatever minute they want but in the end it's the CO's decision.  I actually have the email he sent out to them and cc's me on demanding to know why it wasn't forwarded to him.  I am positive that when I submit a memo to the CO it is supposed to go to the CO.  I'm trying to find a ref however.

Transporter said:
What was your reason for requesting short leave?

It was for working on a Saturday that I would normally have off.

I have to agree with the theory that if it's addressed to the CO, then he/she should have the last word. 

I also had this happen to me.  Before I remustered, I had put in a request to do half days for one semester (Jan-Mar), so that I could take a chemistry course at the local high school.  My memo was addressed to the CO and it got shot down (after a discussion between the OC and the A/CO) before it even reached the RSM, let alone the CO.  Thankfully, I had a good supervisor (or, he would have been, if I hadn't remustered) and he took my memo to the RSM, who saw me privately, and assured me (after discussion with the CO), that I would get the time off.  Not that it mattered, I got the OT before it happened. 

NFLD Sapper said:
You do realize that it's the Adjutant's right to block your memo from going to the CO.

As it's the Adjt who helps a commanding officer with administrative affairs, so if he doesn't support it your request why would he send it to the CO?

I disagree completely, yes the Adj handles correspondence for the CO.  But no one has the right to block your memo to the CO, it is every members right to have access to their CO.  If you feel strongly enough about this issue ask for an appt with the CO, if that gets blocked as well, walk right to the CO's office and very politely ask if he has a few minutes to speak with you.

Now don't go this route unless you are willing to live with the scorn of the CoC potentially.  But it is very unprofessional for any leader to block or delay a memo to the CO.  Yes they can minute it, and state clearly to the CO that they do not support it, but they absolutely have no right to prevent the CO from reading official requests from his troops.

Old EO Tech said:
I disagree completely, yes the Adj handles correspondence for the CO.  But no one has the right to block your memo to the CO, it is every members right to have access to their CO.  If you feel strongly enough about this issue ask for an appt with the CO, if that gets blocked as well, walk right to the CO's office and very politely ask if he has a few minutes to speak with you.

Now don't go this route unless you are willing to live with the scorn of the CoC potentially.  But it is very unprofessional for any leader to block or delay a memo to the CO.  Yes they can minute it, and state clearly to the CO that they do not support it, but they absolutely have no right to prevent the CO from reading official requests from his troops.

I have a meeting with the RSM for something else tomorrow anyway so I may mention it to him to see what he thinks.  I'm posted from this unit soon so I'm not going to worry about any scorn I may get from my regular CoC.

Normally, as it is addressed to the CO, your CoC will minute it with their recommendations and he agrees or disagrees.

Your excuse of it being a weekend, is lame.

In peacetime, if you are not needed operationally, why shortchange our people?  There is actually a blurb about this in the Leave Manual.

What if someone works 1 saturday a couple times a quarter.  Should he not be compensated?

SupersonicMax said:
In peacetime, if you are not needed operationally, why shortchange our people?  There is actually a blurb about this in the Leave Manual.

What if someone works 1 saturday a couple times a quarter.  Should he not be compensated?

Civilian 9 to 5 thinking.....Common in the Air Force, but not in other Military Elements.

Disagree.  I have rarely worked 8-4, 9-5 or any 8-hour "shifts".  And it applies to most people I know involved in operations.  But to be at work for the sake of being at work is silly.

George Wallace said:
Civilian 9 to 5 thinking.....Common in the Air Force, but not in other Military Elements.

True, but as a general rule we should try compensate pers for working when they would not normally be required to.

Back