• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about MilPoints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that keeping an eye on the ratio of milpoints to posts is a good way to know if I'm "talkin' when I shoulda been listenin'" (like now  :D)

All the same, I guess losing 300 milpoints is still better than gaining a black eye...

EDIT:
On second reading of this, I thought I should qualify my remarks above.
While I did serve -way back in the days of FN rifles (manly weapons) and 64 pattern webbing (really sucked)- I am in no way shape or form, a member of the "been there done that" crowd. Perhaps that ratio of milpoints to posts might translate into 'what I don't know/want to know' versus 'what I have to contribute'. 
That is why I at least try to keep my post count down (rum is not helpful in this endeavour) and why I read here constantly. This site is a real treasure trove of information.

Those who actually have been there and done that, naturally should be posting more. 

Bass ackwards said:
I find that keeping an eye on the ratio of milpoints to posts is a good way to know if I'm "talkin' when I shoulda been listenin'" (like now  :D)

I'm not so sure it's really indicative of anything.

You for example have a little more milpoints than me.  You-9610.  Myself 9120.  You have 76 posts and myself 3310. 
Those 9600 points in 76 posts could be contributed to extremely positive feedback from users, however (though I'm not saying you don't deserve it), in about 8 to10 pages of your recorded milpoints history I think I saw to actual feedback cookies from users.
I just get confused easily.

I'm of the mind that two separate systems might actually win us the noble peace prize or something.

Milpoints to record a members contribution to the forum in terms of time online & post quantity and a reputation system. 
Something as simple as a thumbs up or thumbs down akin to an ebay trader rating. I see a post of yours I like, thumbs up. I don't like it, thumbs down.

We did actually try a version of the system that was based solely on votes for and against by other users.  Unfortunately, a disgruntled bad of misfits decided to coordinate their efforts to abuse the system and it quickly became a mockery of its own intent.  Sadly, any such system depending solely upon the honest participation of the multitude is doomed to fail at the hands of the dishonest few.

FD, folks like you are the reason why I added the supplement to my post.
You've been on ops. I haven't.
I intended my post to be a (hopefully) subtle hint to the up-and-coming crowd that it's better to read much and post little.
Personally, I agree with your post -and you're right: I've gained points only twice from member feedback. Compared to an honest-to-God veteran, it's unfair that I should have more points for reading than someone like you should have for sharing your experiences.
But, like Mike Bobbitt and (just now) Michael O'Leary said: it's what we have to work with. 

Bass ackwards said:
FD, folks like you are the reason why I added the supplement to my post.
You've been on ops. I haven't.
I intended my post to be a (hopefully) subtle hint to the up-and-coming crowd that it's better to read much and post little.
Personally, I agree with your post -and you're right: I've gained points only twice from member feedback. Compared to an honest-to-God veteran, it's unfair that I should have more points for reading than someone like you should have for sharing your experiences.

I don't think being on ops is a factor brother. More often than not I +rep people for being sarcastic or putting a shit disturber in their place. I just think the feedback from users would mean more if it wasn't mixed.  I don't think it should be a reflection of someones experience but rather what they contribute to the community. Maybe I'm inking about it too much.

Michael, I remember that.  Some of us senior members got really upset because some people went around neg-repping us. We said "Hey I don't give a damn about my rep!" but I remember people were still pretty pissed.

IMO it could have been handled easily. If I for example started finding all your posts and neg reping you just to be a prick that's trolling and bannable.

Has there been a change in how the history of posts assessed are recorded or is there a glitch in the system?

I checked my MilPoints history today and noticed that there is no record of recent ratings I made of other posts.  It's been a while since I looked at my MilPoints history, but previously assessments made had been recorded and 10 milpoints deducted for each rating.  I checked the history of one of those whom I rated yesterday and it is there http://army.ca/milpoints/?user=37224 - so I wasn't hallucinating that I had rated someone.

There was a change a while back... MilPoints are no longer deducted when you assess someone else. It just didn't make sense to levy a fine for having an opinion.

Thanks.  I wouldn't have thought more about it except it still states on the MilPoints FAQ
. . . More importantly, users can spend 10 MilPoints to "assess" another user based on their posts, rewarding or docking them up to  . . .

I had occasion to use the award/deduct function today and, out of curiosity, I looked at my own MilPoints. I was impressed (I guess that's the right word) at how many MilPoints I've 'earned' just because I leave my browser open for most of the day with Army.ca open in  one of the tabs.

I understand that awarding points for being here was designed to reward those who read before they post, and that's a good thing. But I wonder if 20 points for an hour of 'being here' is really fair.

I would not be at all unhappy if the 'reward' for reading and posting was the same: 10 MilPoints.

:2c:

To keep getting those Milpoints you have had to "refresh" something, either changing threads, etc., or simply refreshing every 30 minutes.

Thanks Bruce. And Edward, I understand where you're coming from. 10 points to post, 20 to lurk might be sending the wrong message.

My motivation was that 10 points for a standard post can be augmented (or negated) by others rating that post, so it's possible to earn much more if your post is valued by the community. If it's not... well, 10 may be an accurate representation of it's worth. ;)

Are the daily top 5 still receiving bonus milpoints each day?  Just curious.  And Mike, is it possible to add a section to the MP statistic page that says who the top earners were for the previous day, something that automatically updates each day like the current ones do?

I like this system now. Instead of using a post, or PM for thanking someone or to agree with. I can just use the milpoints, and fire the message from there to them.

Hi, good morning/evening Canada.

Whenever I try to access someone's milpoints history by clicking on the little "MP" picture to the left of their post, it doesn't show me any.
This poses a major inconvenience for me when I want to snoop on people that have negative MP. This is also the case for anyone that's banned (although that would make more sense).

Thanks,
Philip

Strange it is working for me, I was able to see yours no problem.

Can you not see ANYBODY'S milpoints history?  Or just some people?

How far back does milpoint history go?  I often can't see whichever juicy post earned someone a lot of negative points, but I can usually see their most recent history...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back