• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about LTA (merged)

CBI 209

209.50(7) (Amount – Travel Within Canada and the United States) Subject to paragraph (8), if all travel occurs within Canada and the United States of America (CANUS), the amount of LTA is the lesser of:

the actual cost of return travel by commercial carrier,
in respect of a service couple who meet at a place of duty, from the member's place of duty to the other member's place of duty; and
in any other case, from the member's place of duty to the principal residence; and
the amount determined by the formula,

[({Dx2} - 800) - P] x OLKR

where

D is the most direct kilometric road distance,
in respect of a service couple who meet at a place of duty, from the member's place of duty to the other member's place of duty, and
in any other case, from the member's place of duty to the principal residence;

P is the distance the member travels as a passenger in a private motor vehicle with another person who is reimbursed at public expense for travelling that distance; and

OLKR is the Ontario lower kilometric rate in Appendix A of the National Joint Council Commuting Assistance Directive, as amended from time to time

NFLD Sapper said:
Think they get a corporate rate....

Maybe if it's booked through the Shared Travel Services...

Which wouldn't be the case for LTA...

Hi guys and gals,

NOK is parent who lives almost halfway (within 0.5 km) between two airports (in different provinces though), for whatever reason (I don't think it makes a difference), I fly into one airport and out of the other.

LTA declined since I did not fly directly to and from NOK.

From CBI 209.50 I see the issue being this line: "...the actual cost of return travel by commercial carrier...", my question is how "return travel" is defined? Is it a round trip meaning you must leave/return from/to the same airports or is it simply returning to the same airport? And I stress the word airport vs place of residence or place of duty because that is the argument I am being presented with from the OR.

After reading the CBI 209.50, I was surprised by the lack of detail, i.e. nothing about using the closest airport (another argument the OR has used). I would appreciate anybody's knowledge that could shed some light on my situation and if there's any other useful references. Lastly, should I just drop it or push for some sort of re-eval?

Thanks!

Bookings through STS definitely don't benefit discounts...  In some cases it is more expensive than going online and booking for you.

For the most part, LTA is not "Rocket Science" and pretty basic stuff.  It's calculated from place of duty to "qualifying" area, minus 700 km, times the low mileage rate which determines the MAX amount of reimbursement.  After that, you provde an itinerary and receipts as applicable.

How hard can this be?

Need help.....PM me!

I thought it was minus 400km each direction? Just got back and claim done from YMJ to YVR, I was entitled up to $528, but the plane tickets only cost $430, paid in full no questions.

Don't forget to get your leave pass stamped by a library or RCMP or Doctor in the place you visited. Didn't realize I had to do this until I got back.

Cbbmtt said:
I thought it was minus 400km each direction? Just got back and claim done from YMJ to YVR, I was entitled up to $528, but the plane tickets only cost $430, paid in full no questions.

Don't forget to get your leave pass stamped by a library or RCMP or Doctor in the place you visited. Didn't realize I had to do this until I got back.

SHHHHHHSSSSH!....Do you want the RCMP to investigate you after they are done with Mike Duffy?

Cbbmtt said:

Yes, you are right, it's distance x 2 - 800km = mileage x Ont low Kilometric rate = max reimbursement

So, this popped up as a topic of conversation recently and I am curious to know if anything has changed or if nothing has...

I am a "non custodial parent". My children live with my ex in another province. Traveling to them is very expensive and there is nothing my ex won't screw me over with (in other words, no, she will not contribute to cost...)

My present wife is considered my NOK. I am not entitled to LTA. But DND saw fit to post me away from my children (I see the irony in that I chose to have kids / marry the bitter, twisted woman who bore my children, so on and so forth...) but what sucks is the the member next to me who was posted away from his mommy and decided NOT to marry gets paid to go see said mommy once a year. I miss my money / children!!

Anyone else in this boat and in agreement?

Hi. My family does not live in Canada. I am also single. Can I claim LTA for visiting my folks outside of Canada? Will it be covered from Canada to destination or just until leaving Canadian airspace via commercial carrier? Or is there some different rule?

Thanks.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-209-transportation-expenses.page#sec-209-50
http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/index.php?lang=eng&svid=248-23

Above are links for CBI 209.50, which covers LTA entitlements and eligibility, and the NJC's low kilometric rate. There are formulas to how LTA is calculated, which differ depending on destination. Between actual travel costs incurred vs applicable formula, you will be entitled to the lesser of the two.

I would ensure that your NOK forms are updated to reflect the address of your parents, as that is what would be used as source documentation.

Thank you for the links.
So for a transatlantic flight it's between the cost of a ticket or 13092*OKLR? Is OKLR different than ON 0.20c/km rate if one does not reside in ON?
Cheers

For future reference, perhaps this will be merged with the super-thread.

All about LTA (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/43902.0

Good evening gents,

Hopefully this is the right subforum. I am single and in the past I used my LTA to go where my mother lives in Comox however I just found out that she owns an apartment in Korea as well. On top of this she has just gotten married in Korea so my new father also has a house in Korea. My mother mostly resides in Korea now but she still has a house in Comox.

How would I go about getting LTA to go to Korea if this is allowed. Would I have to prove her residency somehow? Can anyone whos gotten LTA for a different country chime in?

read the reference provided at above link, it explains what you can expect to receive.  Note that as you are already considered an adult by the military her new husband is not recognized as your father for lta purposes so it will be based on her residence.  If Korea is her principal residence then it will be for there.  To get it go to your OR.

Good morning,

I was wondering if any RMS clerks can answer these questions for me. I'm planning on using LTA for the first time and I was wondering if the CF covers a flight to Asia to see my next of kin. If so, how much would the CF cover? Would I be able to use LTA yearly?

FYI. I'm posted to CFB Borden and going to South Korea.

Thank you.

Hi Dan99,

If you do a search on Google for "navy.ca: LTA" you will see many older threads on the topic asking similar questions on how the benefit works, including answers on how to estimate your benefit, to your question.

- LTA

- All about LTA (merged)

-

Back