• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Algonquin College Interviews a Recruit

Rice0031

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

my friend in journalism at Algonquin College who has involvment with the school's campus newspaper has asked to interview me. The paper is running a story about recruits in the forces, and since she knows I'm one of them she has told one of her "reporters" to speak with to me. I am not sure what stance the college's paper has on the forces, or any military-related issues. I'm a little weary concerning that issue. I don't want my words taken out of context so they can push their agenda.

However, I see this as a good opportunity to get some good press on the forces, so maybe I can get some good stuff out. Any pointers, anyone?

Rice0031 said:
Hey all,

my friend in journalism at Algonquin College who has involvment with the school's campus newspaper has asked to interview me. The paper is running a story about recruits in the forces, and since she knows I'm one of them she has told one of her "reporters" to speak with to me. I am not sure what stance the college's paper has on the forces, or any military-related issues. I'm a little weary concerning that issue. I don't want my words taken out of context so they can push their agenda.

However, I see this as a good opportunity to get some good press on the forces, so maybe I can get some good stuff out. Any pointers, anyone?

I am not aware of your situation; however, if you are serving in any capacity I would clear it with my COC first before I uttered a single sentence. And I would tread carefully.

potato

Being that I'm at uOttawa in our great nations capital not too far away from Algonquin, I can tell you that in my experience that there is a large contingent of far left leaning students at every post-secondary instituion that I've interacted with in Ottawa, and it is well known that universities are pillars of leftist thought.

My point being , by all means clear it with the powers that be and do the interview, but do be careful, I have seen some absolutely ridiculous claims stated by some of my zealous colleagues.. just make sure you aren't being used.

At the same time, I also have been noticing a change in the way my fellow students, and friends are viewing the CF... alot more positive.. and I've gotten alot more interest and acceptance when I discuss the CF. I've of course been talking to them about it.. and my girlfriend wants me to join the reserves for this summer, because she says " i know you will love it, I see the look you get when they go by in uniform" to which I had to laugh because it's a good thing she is right on.. otherwise she might be concerned as to why I'm looking longely after people in the service.. haha.

Thanks for the words of advice. I never though to clear it with my CoC, which I definitely should have.
I'll let you know what happens, if anything.

Quite often there is at least one news article broadcast on CJOH (CTV) in Ottawa, on their 'News at Six', that is a project of the Algonquin School of Journalism. 

Oh jeese, thanks for the head's-up.
I'll clear it with my CoC tonight on parade.

I'd like to do the interview, but I won't do it if they're just using it for some anti-military/anti-Afghanistan angle.

Having dealt with with being interviewed by univeristy/college papers. Tape the interivew yourself just in case some editing has been done for the final project. "Once burnt twice shy"

VP

Rice0031 said:
Oh jeese, thanks for the head's-up.
I'll clear it with my CoC tonight on parade.

I'd like to do the interview, but I won't do it if they're just using it for some anti-military/anti-Afghanistan angle.

Rice, if your CoC is going to be sticklers about it, let me know, and I'll help you draft up a memorandum.

Rice, you might even see if the interviewer will give you a list of the questions that they are going to ask so you can have responses ready with no surprises, and also so you can run both the questions and answers through your CoC.

And Des?  About the memo you're going to help with?  Well, you know where to find me.... ;D

navymich said:
And Des?  About the memo you're going to help with?  Well, you know where to find me.... ;D

LOL, thanks Mich. I am a master of the memo, but it's nice to know you're there  ;)

I've actually got an automated military memo writer file now. Fill in the file number, to, info, etc, and it practically writes itself in the proper format.

Also, if the reporter refuses to give a list of questions (something they tell them to do in some journalism schools), ask at least for an idea of what areas they're going to cover.

+100 to 3rd Herd on the recording the interview so you have your own version

If the CF is anything like the part of the federal gov't I work for, I would be surprised if a PAff person somewhere in your organization doesn't already have some pre-written messaging to use in situations like this - don't be afraid to ask.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion 3rd Herd. Will definitely take that into account.

Des, my CoC just told me to phone them once I had the article's angle/focus and then they'll decide after that. Though I am going to ask the interviewer if I can get the questions ahead of time so I can draft up some answers, I'm terrible at making on-the-spot responses without sounding inarticulate and a mouth-breather (which some might argue I am anyways :p).

This is what I have been told so far, and I have a pretty good idea of what to expect, I *think*.
newsperson who wants to interview me said:
>In my story angle I'll be trying to understand
> how the college experience and career plans for a recruit like
> yourself are different from that of a non-recruit. I'm also
> interested in your
> thoughts on your possible role in our military's current mission in
> Afghanistan, such as what you think of serving in a war vs.
> peacekeeping -- basically, as an Algonquin student who could possibly
> be serving overseas in the future, you have some insight (especially
> with Remembrance Day coming up) that your typical student does not.

Now I just need to get me a recorder..., Des you have one I can borrow, by chance?

The reporter's given me a few details about the question that are being considered:

- does your family have a military background?
- how does being a recruit make your life as an Algonquin student different than a non-recruit?
- as a new recruit, how do you view the Canadian military's role in the world?
- how does the possibility of fighting in Afghanistan make you feel as a new recruit?

Apparently those are just some of the questions, and the rest "have not been formulated yet". Should be interesting.

Rice,

Here's the guidelines for you. Someone in your Chain of Command should be able to provide you with the hard copy of these.

MediaGuidelines1.jpg

MediaGuidelines2_0002.jpg

If you do the interview, take a tape recorder and make your own recording of what is being said.  That way you have backup in case the reporter or editor decide to play with your words.

George Wallace said:
Quite often there is at least one news article broadcast on CJOH (CTV) in Ottawa, on their 'News at Six', that is a project of the Algonquin School of Journalism. 

Guess I should make a correction or addition.  It is quite often a report from the Carlton School of Journalism.

I don't know how well you know this friend but, beware of the bait and trap.

So looks like I'll be doing the interview tomorrow sometime around 1. I'm getting a tape-recorder from my dad, just in case Mr. Journalist decides to play with my words.
I've never liked journalists much, so PB&J, I hear your advice.

I feel a little uncomfortable, but mainly because I've never been interviewed for anything. So long as I stay in my lanes and watch myself I think it will go well.

- as a new recruit, how do you view the Canadian military's role in the world? --> What the hell is that supposed to mean? How I "view" our role doesn't change what it actually is. Is my "view" supposed to change after I'm no longer a recruit? I don't know how to answer this question. I guess you could say I think its a very positive role. But how far can I really answer this question without steering outside my lanes?
- how does the possibility of fighting in Afghanistan make you feel as a new recruit? --> Its exactly that, a possibility. Lots of things are possible. It really doesn't change my stance on being in the reserves. I joined the reserves, the infantry, knowing that it was quite possible, and maybe even likely. It is what I am being trained to do: fight. Am I even allowed by the guidelines to answer this question?

If anyone has any more tips or pointers for any of these questions, feel free to send them my way. I'm just not too sure how to answer some of these, and I will be guarding my tongue closely, as I realize that it will be easy to swerve into other lanes.

Just remember this:  As a Reservist you are not 'obliged' to go to Afghanistan, 'YOU MUST VOLUNTEER'.  Hopefully by stressing that, you will kill several birds with one stone.  You will set the media straight and also point out the fallacies that they are perpetuating with their darling little "Canadian War Resister".

Rice,

Some of the trickier questions are the policy ones. You are entitled to your own opinion, but it is not our place to publicly agree or disagree with official government policy. That "can" get you in a heap of trouble with your CoC.

I think George has it right, try to stick with the "volunteer" aspect as much as possible. Don't be a broken record, but try to steer away from the questions that want you to directly comment on official policy.

Give your PAffO (PAO, now) a call. Or any PAffO. Tell them who and what and they can give you some quick tips on specific questions.

Back