• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alert, Warning order to follow Toronto deputy mayor thinking of asking for troop

I also voted for Rob Ford in 2010. I thought he was the best candidate at that time. When you compare him with David Miller as who is the best (or the worst) mayor of Toronto, you will get public opinions that...  ;D

just another day in North Central Alberta

Imagine a home heated by a natural gas furnace, with a natural gas stove/oven.  When the electricity goes out, you can still heat, cook, and keep your food cold.  How often, comparatively, do areas suffer "gas outages"?

A home heated by natural gas still needs electricity to run the fan and thermostat.

Right you are.  And it turns out even newer gas stoves are more limited.  I find it turns out that you'd need quite an old furnace and older stove.  Too bad.  I suppose the only advantage is that you could restore furnace and stove without getting into too large a generator, if you were prepared to do without anything on any other circuit.

I have a friend who posted on FB during the storm. He was all pleased that he had set up his generator to work the furnace and fridge, then said that he could now keep his beer cold. I promptly burst his bubble and reminded him that putting his beer on the back deck would do the exact same thing.

:D

Kat Stevens said:
A home heated by natural gas still needs electricity to run the fan and thermostat.

No so with a gas fireplace.

Rider Pride said:
No so with a gas fireplace.

Yup and the only reason we were able to stay in our house for the 6 nights the power was out. Furnace kaput, but for some reason hot water tank was GTG, even after 4 nights still hot water. Funny having a piping hot shower and stepping out into a sub zero bathroom...... not :eek:

Kat Stevens said:
A gas fireplace heats a room, not a house.

True, of course, but in an emergency one warm, albeit dark room may be a really good thing for 36 or 60 hours, until electricity is restored.

I live in a downtown condominium ~ my power never even flickered during the January 1998 Ice Storm but, like everyone else in Ottawa, I was hit by the August 2003 Northeast Blackout. I'm not sure Ontario would have done as well as it did in 2003 had the blackout been in January, not August. I think that if I lived anywhere in Ontario but the in a city centre condo (which has an emergency generator) I would want a mix of gas and electrical services and a back-up generator, too.

E.R. Campbell said:
I think that if I lived anywhere in Ontario but the in a city centre condo (which has an emergency generator) I would want a mix of gas and electrical services and a back-up generator, too.

And a carbon monoxide detector with battery back-up. 

bridges said:

That's coming. Shortly, they will be required by law in every domicile in Ontario.

recceguy said:
That's coming. Shortly, they will be required by law in every domicile in Ontario.
Great, more legislation to keep Darwin from working effectively.  If you're stupid enough to run something like a gas BBQ in your apartment, giddy up.

...please do it before you breed.

Journeyman said:
That's coming. Shortly, they will be required by law in every domicile in Ontario.Great, more legislation to keep Darwin from working effectively.  If you're stupid enough to run something like a gas BBQ in your apartment, giddy up.

...please do it before you breed.

Unfortunately, stupid people in apartment buildings can have an impact on less stupid people in the same apartment building.

For example, if you're on the third floor, and somone on the fourth floor brings in the BBQ, their carbon monoxide may kill you first.

Now, if you're saying that Darwin says "You deserve to die for having stupid neighbours"...

dapaterson said:
Now, if you're saying that Darwin says "You deserve to die for having stupid neighbours"...
I don't speak for Darwin; I just marvel at his examples...  ;)

dapaterson said:
Unfortunately, stupid people in apartment buildings can have an impact on less stupid people in the same apartment building.

For example, if you're on the third floor, and somone on the fourth floor brings in the BBQ, their carbon monoxide may kill you first.

Or possibily set the building on fire and kill you and others that way.

Back