• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aldershot Kit List and Staff Living

Shrek1985

Inactive
Reaction score
For my sins, it seems that I am spending the summer in Aldershot. And no; since I don't drink, Halifax is not as exciting for me as it might be to others. I have, oh; about 12 summers in Meaford under my belt as a candidate or staff member; so this informs my outlook considerably. For instance; I last saw an infamous Meaford JI Kitlist for staff and students 2 years ago. It still listed P82 Webgear and full Winter Warfare gear and so was regarded as something of a guideline and rightly so.

The JIs for Aldershot are somewhat more up-to-date, however; I have several questions in the vien of: "Do we need our gas masks for the FFO march???". Left to my own devices; I'd just as soon ditch certain items. However...never been to Aldershot before and maybe this kitlist is a hot-button issue for someone? Last thing I want to do is use my experience and run-headlong into the hallmark army standard of "HOW WE DO THINGS HERE!!!" I'd love to fall back on that "Common Sense"-thing I hear so much about, but after 13 years; I find I have seen enough that everything and anything is on the table.

Without further ado;

-Do I really need DEU? I have about 10-15 BMQ/SQ/BMQ-L/DP1/DP1.1 under my belt and never needed DEU for any of them. However; that was the PRes, maybe this is some RegF thing that I need to live with now?
-May I sub-out the Tac Vest for anything else? Such as the Tactical Tailor/SWORD rig I have?

That's it.

As for staff living on base:

-what are the accomodations for instructors like? The FB page mentions WiFi, but?
-Just give it to me straight; can I wear sleave-less shirts in the gym or not? I don't want to start a fight about it, just let me know how it is and I'll live with it.
-Do we carry pace-sticks when we march troops here?
-Army cooks or civilians?
-headphones while rucking or not? The next time I see it officially allowed will be the first. I am used to this as a cool-guys only deal.

THE BONUS ROUND!

-Do we do no-fail policies on base? If you have to ask what that is, you haven't taught much in LFCA. Yes, yes; all the paperwork. Sure, sure. Do we fail people on this base or not?

Shrek1985 said:
And no; since I don't drink, Halifax is not as exciting for me as it might be to others.

Halifax is not just about drinking.  Lots of cool places to see there and around the Annapolis Valley.  Summer is usually pretty nice too.

https://discoverhalifaxns.com/

http://valleytourism.ca/

Sorry I can't help with the kit list.

I'm brand-new with the PLF - as of 4 weeks ago.  I could put you in touch with a couple of folks more in the know than I if you send me your email address.

I have visited Aldershot before - it has been a while though, so I cannot speak to any of the questions you have asked.

A heads up - Ticks are bad in the province this year.  Please emphasize tick checks for your troops and yourself.

As for things to do and places to see, I've lived in NS for 26 years now, there are lots of things to do other than drinking here.  The Tattoo is coming up in July (early.)  You can do whale watching near Digby if that's of interest to you.  There is Keji park to go hiking in, there are winery tours and such up in the valley that are nice to do.  Lots of stuff.

NS

NavyShooter said:
I'm brand-new with the PLF - as of 4 weeks ago.  I could put you in touch with a couple of folks more in the know than I if you send me your email address.

I have visited Aldershot before - it has been a while though, so I cannot speak to any of the questions you have asked.

A heads up - Ticks are bad in the province this year.  Please emphasize tick checks for your troops and yourself.

As for things to do and places to see, I've lived in NS for 26 years now, there are lots of things to do other than drinking here.  The Tattoo is coming up in July (early.)  You can do whale watching near Digby if that's of interest to you.  There is Keji park to go hiking in, there are winery tours and such up in the valley that are nice to do.  Lots of stuff.

NS

I'd appreciate that. PM incoming.

I actually have a tick kit in my abultions and a tick key in my FNP.

I'm really not wild about seeing the sites; I might go out one long weekend and go to the museums and get some seafood. That's it.

As for the DEU's unless it says optional (like for staff at CFSME) I would bring it... remember as staff you might have to attend the PLQ (or what ever it is called now) grads...

NFLD Sapper said:
As for the DEU's unless it says optional (like for staff at CFSME) I would bring it... remember as staff you might have to attend the PLQ (or what ever it is called now) grads...

Oh; I taught in meaford. I'm used to being forced to attend and take part in various and sundry parades, all of which take priority over actually training troops "Schedule is tight, you might have to lose a few weekends!"

So long as it's a parade and not a mess dinner or other foolishness.

PMedMoe said:
https://discoverhalifaxns.com/

http://valleytourism.ca/

I’d also add https://valleyevents.ca to the list. (It happens to be co-hosted here, too!)

Shrek1985 said:
Oh; I taught in meaford. I'm used to being forced to attend and take part in various and sundry parades, all of which take priority over actually training troops "Schedule is tight, you might have to lose a few weekends!"

So long as it's a parade and not a mess dinner or other foolishness.

Can't guarantee that...

Worked there for a few months earlier this year, staff accomodations are small (unless your a sgt or above then they have some "suites" that are a but bigger, yes there is wifi but you may have to hunt for the password, only place it was posted was the gym,  the banned sleeveless shirts in the gym in February unfortunately although the commissionaire that works there generally isnt too strict.  Its army cooks, but the mess isnt the worst,  you can get away with a fair bit here as it's a small base, I've seen plenty of guys ruck with headphones and never had an issue, although to be fair I dont know the "official" policy but should be fine, as for the more instructor related questions I am of no help but hopefully that helps a bit.

Addition to my last, as I said the shacks are small, so if your below a sgt your in a very very small one man room, I would reccomend you minimize the amount of kit you bring as much as possible, because theres nowhere to put it in your room I brought too much and it stayed in my car for 3 months, so take that as you will but when I say no room for kit, i mean no room for kit

TJ's will have the Kiwi and Skin Mags.... thats all you need.

Back