• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Airframe selection after BFT

My course just had our selection here in moose jaw 2 weeks ago. Preferences were 8 people that wanted jets, 7 wanted multi, and only 1 wanted helo. Seems to be a pretty standard break down on the surrounding courses as well. We ended up getting 4 multi slots 4 jet slots and the rest helo. The course before us had 2 multi spots 6 helo and no jets and the one before that had 3 jets 1 multi 10 helo.

That is great info thanks. Exactly what I was looking for! Seems like need for helo is much greater right now...

I have no idea how the planners allocate slots for a given course. I assume it's a lot like the way a new pope gets chosen... Or maybe the way houses are assigned at Hogwarts.

Eye In The Sky said:
Actually I believe the proper term is self loading baggage.  Cargo is an insulting term.  8)

Some aircrew believe their actual baggage is self loading...Always good for a chuckle when they realize it's still sitting on the ramp.  :D

lstpierre said:
I have no idea how the planners allocate slots for a given course. I assume it's a lot like the way a new pope gets chosen... Or maybe the way houses are assigned at Hogwarts.

;D

Although the process isn't perfect, the career managers and pre-wings schools work with the various advisory groups (to determine optimal operational manning demands) and operational training/conversion units (to determine likely throughput of new wings grads at various type conversion units) to come to a balanced distribution plan regarding where Ph 2 student output is best allocated amongst the multi, helo and fighter/trainer fleets.

Not quite a Ouija board, even though it may look like it at times.  ;)

Regards
G2G

p.s.  Yes, soon helos will represent half the RCAF operational cockpits, especially once the CH147F comes fully on line (recent Ph 3 grads have already begun postings into the Chinook squadron), so short-term adjustments here or there notwithstanding, a steady-state allocation would see about 1/2 the Ph 2 grads on average going helos.

Back