• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection Jan 17th-21st

mtlee

Inactive
Reaction score
So I'm curious to know if anyone that frequents these boards is headed to Trenton for Aircrew Selection on the 20th and 21st. Been spending the past month studying, and would be nice to commiserate over some food in the mess.

I just got back from Trenton a couple of weeks ago. I would recommend not making any any friends until after the results are back. There is a really low pass rate. Getting to know everyone and trying to figure out the handful that will pass got into my head a bit. I would keep to yourself and study. There will be plenty of time to make friends on the bus to Downsview, after you are successful.

Good luck!

I feel like that's terrible advice. I'm still in touch with people I met at Aircrew. Pass or not making friends and spending time together makes it easier to relax.

The guys I went through with went to BMOQ and PFT with me.  Worth making friends for sure.  You have no idea who is going to pass, and our session was 75%!!  The others we kept in touch with on FaceBook.  It's nice to share the misery throughout the process, don't keep to yourself while you're at Trenton or Toronto.  That's not the way it is in Saint Jean, Portage, and beyond ...

Hey, I never knew there was an extra step in the process called aircrew selection.. Can someone explain or maybe attach a link to a thread that explains what the aircrew selection is? I thought after your aptitude test and your interview you are ether qualified to continue to training or not, what role does the aircrew selection process have over your qualification?

Aircrew Selection is basically a two day session in Toronto doing a broad and comprehensive set of aptitude tests -- hand eye coordination, multi-tasking, reading comprehension, short term memory, mental arithmetic, etc.  If you pass that you spend a day in Toronto being poked and prodded to make sure you're healthy enough and that you fit in all the planes (especially the Grob).

Read this, and the related links:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/cf-aircrew-selection-centre.page

Btw, good luck Mtlee.

So I read the info on the link to the cf page you gave but I had a hard time finding the consequences that follow your assessment. If you do well do they mark your name? If you do bad do you have a lesser chance of making it far? I'd be grateful for more info 2Easy, thanks too.

If you don't meet the established standard you pick another occupation - you don't proceed any further as a pilot candidate.

Hamada, basically aircrew selection is an extra set of aptitude tests for pilot applicants. Pilot training is extremely expensive, so the point is to weed out those who wouldn't suceed as early as possible. If you pass the testing in Trenton, you go to Toronto for medical testing and your application can proceed. If you fail, your application as a pilot ceases (you can still apply for other jobs though).

And don't listen to that other guys advice, make friends! I still keep in touch with the guys I met at aircrew selection almost a decade ago, those who made it and those who didn't.

2Easy said:
to make sure you're healthy enough and that you fit in all the planes (especially the Grob).

The Grob is one of the biggest training cockpits, the Hawk is the small one.

Thanks so much for the info, I guess my next question would be regarding how I could prepare. Excluding fitness and physical requirements, what are things I could study to prepare myself for the aptitude tests on paper or in knowledge, any particular parts of aviation? A general understanding of the cockpit or even how to fly? I haven't been in air cadets and I think now is too late considering that I'm eighteen and about to graduate from high school. I will definitely go to flight school if I don't make it to RMC this year, however for now I'd rather prepare myself as best as I can instead of being completely unprepared.

So what would you guys recommend me to study in preparation for aircrew selection. I already got down that I should be able to solve math problems quick in my mind, my calculus teacher is making me a guideline/plan that he says should help me in that, and that my memory span needs to be in tact, I know a few programs online that I could do for that, what else is there? Thanks guys you're awesome.

bradley247 said:
The Grob is one of the biggest training cockpits, the Hawk is the small one.

Really?  I didn't know that, haven't got to MJ yet to find that out.  :salute:

M.Hamada said:
Thanks so much for the info, I guess my next question would be regarding how I could prepare. Excluding fitness and physical requirements, what are things I could study to prepare myself for the aptitude tests on paper or in knowledge, any particular parts of aviation? A general understanding of the cockpit or even how to fly? I haven't been in air cadets and I think now is too late considering that I'm eighteen and about to graduate from high school. I will definitely go to flight school if I don't make it to RMC this year, however for now I'd rather prepare myself as best as I can instead of being completely unprepared.

So what would you guys recommend me to study in preparation for aircrew selection. I already got down that I should be able to solve math problems quick in my mind, my calculus teacher is making me a guideline/plan that he says should help me in that, and that my memory span needs to be in tact, I know a few programs online that I could do for that, what else is there? Thanks guys you're awesome.

Learn to think fast and accurately. Mental math plays a big part, and so does being able to follow directions. Be sure to answer what the questions are asking, and be able to do it quickly.

Back