• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

Entropic said:
I just took another 2 of the DST, take it as you will

http://imgur.com/a/hl5ox

In any case, being fast at mental math only helps on a few of the tests. ACS tests other mental qualities so the important thing is to be proficient at all of them since failing one section means you fail the entire thing (I just barely passed the minimum in a couple sections, one because I didn't follow the instructions properly at first, and the other I just did not have a good natural aptitude for it)

That is very impressive! Well good for you! :)

Hmmm I dont think I am allowed to tell you the order of the tests and in any case I dont really remember. I will just reiterate to really pay attention to the instructions for each test and follow them to the tee.

Yeah thought so, thanks for you input! Really appreciate it.

Not him but I was notified by phone call by my file manager. Keep in contact with your file manager! Sometimes your file just gets lost in the stacks

I was sent an email with available course dates spanning through Fall. For the interview I was contacted by phone, so I guess the means they choose to contact candidates is at the discretion of the recruiter.

When you go make sure you stay positive and enjoy the experience.  As stated there will be a considerable time pressure and you most likely will have multiple tests where you don't answer all questions.  MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! No one can really give you a break down or tell you the order of the tests but anything you read in the joining instructions and candidate guide is accurate regarding the breaks and time frames of the tests.  It is stressful and if you come out of day 1 feeling like you failed, you need to push through and remind yourself its not over till its over.

I will tell you though when i got my results and they told me i passed for all 3 trades i was grinning like and idiot... so that happens too.

Just enjoy the experience, 8-wing is a great place and the guys that run the air crew selection centre are some of the best people you will have the pleasure of meeting. From my personal experience.

Apologies if this doesn't fit with the discussion but i went in nervous as hell and came out thankful for the experience and the friends i made

Revan said:
When you go make sure you stay positive and enjoy the experience.  As stated there will be a considerable time pressure and you most likely will have multiple tests where you don't answer all questions.  MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! No one can really give you a break down or tell you the order of the tests but anything you read in the joining instructions and candidate guide is accurate regarding the breaks and time frames of the tests.  It is stressful and if you come out of day 1 feeling like you failed, you need to push through and remind yourself its not over till its over.

This is good advice here. Work quickly and accurately but on quite a few of the tests you will probably not answer all the questions in that test. Don't stress out about it too much as long as you got most of it done (correctly). I know that in quite a few of the tests I was only able to do ~85% of the questions (as in answered), at least for the tests where the time limit was for the test. In a lot of the tests, questions are timed per question.

Hi guys/gals

I finally received an email invite to ACS. I picked the Nov 2-4 date - Anyone else on this forum attending on that date??

Cheers,
Rob

motox701 said:
Hi guys/gals

I finally received an email invite to ACS. I picked the Nov 2-4 date - Anyone else on this forum attending on that date??

Cheers,
Rob

Congrats!

That is one of the dates that I selected; waiting for confirmation.

Congrats Gents!  My interview and medical is on Oct 21st so nowhere close to ACS yet but still getting all tingly every time I hear someone say they've got their dates booked in.  Keep us posted Moto!

Entropic said:
This is good advice here. Work quickly and accurately but on quite a few of the tests you will probably not answer all the questions in that test. Don't stress out about it too much as long as you got most of it done (correctly). I know that in quite a few of the tests I was only able to do ~85% of the questions (as in answered), at least for the tests where the time limit was for the test. In a lot of the tests, questions are timed per question.

ok so let me ask a question about the nature of the questions. are the answers mostly integers or are there precise answers for the arithmetic. the candidate guide doesn't make any mention.

Based on instructions in airborne numerical test from the study guide, it says round up any number with .5 and higher where as round down for .49 and lower. So seems like the test will want whole numbers.

I received an email with three sets of dates and I selected October 24-26 as my "preferred" but I have yet to hear back as to whether or not it has been confirmed so I may or may not be going to ACS at the end of this month.

Hello,

I've been working my way through the ROTP application and have been green lit by medical, and the interview. I'm just trying to find out what studying I should try and do, or what I should know for the selection process in Trenton.

If anyone who has gone through it could advise me as to the challenges, difficulties, and work load I would be appreciative.

Thanks,

DJ

djcwall said:
If anyone who has gone through it could advise me as to the challenges, difficulties, and work load I would be appreciative.

This may help,

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/70257.425
20 pages.

You can also read the official Candidate Guide and Joining Instructions from the RCAF website.

Candidate Guide
http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/cf-aircrew-selection-centre/candidate-guide.page

Joining Instructions
http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/cf-aircrew-selection-centre/joining-instructions.page

Anyone heading to ASC on Nov 30th to Dec 2nd. Or Dec 7th-9th?

Those are the days I picked. I'm just waiting for a confirmation.

I went through ACS last week and passed for all trades, my first choice is pilot. There is a lot of great advice on this forum already but I would like to emphasize the following:

1. Make sure you are well rested. You want to be fresh and alert when going through the test.

2. Read the instructions a few times until you feel comfortable. A lot of people made mistakes because they did not read the instructions carefully.

3. Do not stress out! It is easier said than done, but try to remain cool and calm throughout the whole test. My strategy was to go in assuming that I would not pass and that there wasn't anything to lose. This helped me remain calm and focused during the testing.

The purpose of ACS is not to test who can or cannot become a pilot, but rather to identify individuals with better odds of passing pilot training given the limited amount of resources. Remember that even if you do not pass, it is better that you fail early on rather than 3-4 years down the road by which time you would have invested a lot more into this career.

I hope this was helpful and good luck on your ACS!

PS. If, like myself, you are debating whether or not this is the right career path, I recommend watching "Jetstream" (if you have not done so already).

Thanks for the great tips aero_dude and congratulations on passing your ACS. Will you be able to share an example of instructions people got wrong, and things to watch out for.

Again really happy for you. I shall be heading for my ACS very soon. How was the experience staying on base? was it intimidating at all surrounded by such great people ? And do you recommend getting there sat/sun before the test ?

sonic said:
Thanks for the great tips aero_dude and congratulations on passing your ACS. Will you be able to share an example of instructions people got wrong, and things to watch out for.

Again really happy for you. I shall be heading for my ACS very soon. How was the experience staying on base? was it intimidating at all surrounded by such great people ? And do you recommend getting there sat/sun before the test ?

I am not sure on what they got wrong, and would not be able to share that info even if I did know, but make sure to read the instructions carefully. They are very clear and not structured to confuse you. I think people just rush through them and miss important detail.

The experience at the base was somewhat intimidating just because I got a (very brief) look into military life. But the amenities were much better than what I expected; you will have your own "hotel-like" room. I recommend getting there on Sunday, you will have enough time to settle down and get ready for the test. Don't stress out too much, try to have fun and enjoy the experience!

Good luck!  :D

Lest we forget :cdn:

Thank you. One more thing, in the joining instructions it mentions to wear formal, however at the recruitment office i was told that jeans and t shirts are ok. How were things in your experience ?

:cdn: :salute:

sonic said:
One more thing, in the joining instructions it mentions to wear formal, however at the recruitment office i was told that jeans and t shirts are ok.

It does not say "formal".

Candidates attending aircrew selection should treat this assessment process as an extension of the job interview.  As such, all candidates, regardless of entry plan, will wear business casual civilian dress.  Denim jeans, track pants/shirts, yoga gear, T-shirts, shorts, running shoes, flip-flops, or sandals are NOT permitted during working hours.
http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/cf-aircrew-selection-centre/joining-instructions.page#s3

Back